jaster

Reaction score
City, State
Texas, New Mexico, Mexico Border
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 ST XLT, 16 Exp XLT
Callsign
K5JSK
Looking at buying a new-to-me Explorer. I haven't had an explorer in probably going on 10 years now, but it's time to upgrade the Durango. Anyway, looking at a 2012, 2014 and a 2016, all are 3.5 XLT, however the 2014 is only 2wd. I have all but ruled out the 2wd Are there any major differences between these 3 years that would make one more desireable than the other? Anything on any of these 3 models I should be aware of when looking at them? Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

not really, look for any leaks and have a Ford dealer or a shop inspect it, if theres no water leaking under the carpets or around the spare tire area and no leaks under the engine it should be good to go, any sort of leaks on these tend to be expensive so make sure you get a proper quote to have it repaired if it is. I can tell you one thing, I had a Durango and you're not going to miss much:D

Looking at buying a new-to-me Explorer. I haven't had an explorer in probably going on 10 years now, but it's time to upgrade the Durango. Anyway, looking at a 2012, 2014 and a 2016, all are 3.5 XLT, however the 2014 is only 2wd. I have all but ruled out the 2wd Are there any major differences between these 3 years that would make one more desireable than the other? Anything on any of these 3 models I should be aware of when looking at them? Thank you.
The 2016 is a refreshed model. It has LED low beams and halogen high beams. The fog lights are also different and depending on when the 2016 was built, the fogs may be LED as well. The taillights are slightly different as is the grille. Auto dimming driver's side mirror with the BLIS feature. A 2.3L Ecoboost engine was made available. A rear camera washer was added. The XLT Sport appearance package was deleted for 2016. Inflatable seat belts in the outboard 2nd row seating positions available with the 200A package.
I personally would go with a 2016 model. Scroll through the existing threads and see what the main issues are affecting the various models. As reserved50 mentioned, check for signs of water leaks, especially in the spare tire well.

Peter

Agreed, go with the 16 as it's had more time to be refined, it is quieter and the LED headlamps are a nice improvement.

And if you can swing it, try to splurge a little more for a 2017. I know that's the newest model, but it has Sync 3 which is way more responsive.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I ended up buying the 2016. I pick it up tomorrow. Unfortunately, a 2017 was not doable. Going to be a nice upgrade from my 14 year old Durango!

The XLT Sport appearance package was deleted for 2016.

Interesting that they would delete it in 16, but bring it back in 17.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I ended up buying the 2016. I pick it up tomorrow. Unfortunately, a 2017 was not doable. Going to be a nice upgrade from my 14 year old Durango!

jaster

Congrats on your new (to you) 2016 ex, you should really enjoy it.

Brian

Back