• Register Today It's free!

2012 XLT with some upgrades...:)

jledvina

Reaction score
City, State
Hillsboro, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Ford Explorer XLT
First off, thanks to everyone here on the forums...I've been stalking around for a while looking over all of the others who have tricked out their Ex's with some nice gear. From that I learned some of the products to stay away from and some others worth getting into...:)

So far I have installed the HuskyLiner mats via the group discount in the front, 2nd, 3rd and behind third row cargo area - I have them in my Escape and I love them in this car now too - with 3 kids it really saves the carpeting...:D

And this weekend I installed the in-channel AVS window deflectors, the moulded mud flaps (front and rear), the 4" Aries nerf bars and finally the BMC custom bumper guard. Here are a few pics showing the goodies:

ExplorerFromFront.jpg

ExplorerSide.jpg

ExplorerLowerAngle.jpg

ExplorerBumperGuard.jpg

The mudflaps are an easy install for anyone looking into them - the fronts install without an issue (just crank the wheels to the side to give room for a drill) and the rears take a few extra mins to pull the wheels to give you the room your need. Overall about an hour for the whole job on those.

The ventvisors and the bumperguard were about a 20 min job - as a few other have found out using the AVS in channels you really need to pay attention to the directions otherwise you will be left cussing while trying to get the windows up...:D

Then there are the nerf bars. Those took the longest and were the most interesting to install. They install pretty easy overall but getting them mostly level is a challenge. I've got them as level as possible - the front of them is still slightly higher (1/4" or so) and unless you are really looking for it you can't tell (of course I can and I do wish the slots in the brackets would allow better adjustments but I am happy overall). They are very sturdy and add a nice touch to the rig. My wife and kids love the extra help getting in and I like something I can beat my shoes/boots against before I climb in - I hated the thought of kicking the plastic panels to get excess snow off!

Of course the last "upgrade" that I really was waiting for was done Friday and that was the MFT upgrade - woohoo! Loving it - faster, stable, everything I was hoping for...:)

Have fun everyone and enjoy your upgrades too!!

- Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks great, thanks for the pics!

Great job! Were those Ford mud flaps or an aftermarket brand?

Thanks Vince!

deewan - They are Ford mud flaps - got them through PartsCheap.com for about $10 less per set than from the dealer...:)

- Joe

Thanks for the info Joe!

Back