2012 XLT vs 2011 Ltd | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2012 XLT vs 2011 Ltd

betzb

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer
Hi All

I would like to get your thoughts on two Explorers I am considering. We currently have a 2003 XLT with 150,000 and it is time to upgrade.

Option #1 - 2012 XLT - 25,326 mileage for $29,452 - out the door after trade in - will list all specs below

Option#2 - 2011 LTD - 35,557 mileage for $32,643 - out the door after trade in - will list all specs below

Both would be certified and come with 7 year/100000 power train and 12 month bumper to bumper*

While I like the idea of leather and some of the bells and whistles on the LTD the rational side of me says I would be crazy to buy an older car with more miles for more money just for the creature comforts. We have two kids and a dog and this thing will be our family truckster and all I really care about is not having to get a new car for a long time after.

Whats more the 2012 still will have a year of bumper to bumper on the existing 3 year warranty so the Certified Pre-Owned 12 month bumper to bumper* will actually be two years as it doesnt start until the original runs out.

Would love to hear thoughts as to what you guys woudl do!

Thanks in advance!
Bill

XLT SPecs:

Vehicle Features

Engine Description: Gas V6 3.5L/213
Drivetrain: 4WD
EPA-Est City*: 17
EPA-Est Highway*: 23
EPA Classification: Sport Utility Vehicle - 4WD
Wheelbase Code: 112.6
Vehicle Options

Four Wheel DriveTow HooksPower SteeringTires - Front All-SeasonTires - Rear All-SeasonAluminum WheelsTemporary Spare TireRear SpoilerAutomatic HeadlightsFog LampsHeated MirrorsPower Mirror(s)Integrated Turn Signal MirrorsPrivacy GlassIntermittent WipersVariable Speed Intermittent WipersAM/FM StereoCD PlayerMP3 PlayerSteering Wheel Audio ControlsBluetooth ConnectionTelematicsAuxiliary Audio InputSatellite RadioPower Driver SeatCloth SeatsBucket SeatsDriver Adjustable LumbarPass-Through Rear SeatRear Bench Seat3rd Row SeatFloor MatsCruise ControlAdjustable Steering WheelLeather Steering WheelPower WindowsPower Door LocksSecurity SystemKeyless EntryEngine ImmobilizerA/CRear A/CRear DefrostFront Reading LampsDriver Vanity MirrorPassenger Vanity MirrorDriver Illuminated Vanity MirrorPassenger Illuminated Visor MirrorRear Reading LampsPower OutletABS4-Wheel Disc BrakesTraction ControlStability ControlPassenger Air Bag SensorRear Parking AidChild Safety LocksTire Pressure Monitor

LTD Specs:
Vehicle Features

Engine Description: Gas V6 3.5L/213
Drivetrain: 4WD
EPA-Est City*: 17
EPA-Est Highway*: 23
EPA Classification: Sport Utility Vehicle - 4WD
Wheelbase Code: 112.6
Vehicle Options

Four Wheel DriveTow HooksPower SteeringTires - Front PerformanceTires - Rear PerformanceAluminum WheelsTemporary Spare TireRear SpoilerAutomatic HeadlightsFog LampsHeated MirrorsPower Mirror(s)Integrated Turn Signal MirrorsMirror MemoryPower Folding MirrorsPrivacy GlassIntermittent WipersVariable Speed Intermittent WipersAM/FM StereoCD PlayerMP3 PlayerPremium Sound SystemHD RadioSteering Wheel Audio ControlsBluetooth ConnectionTelematicsAuxiliary Audio InputNavigation from TelematicsSatellite RadioPower Driver SeatPower Passenger SeatLeather SeatsBucket SeatsHeated Front Seat(s)Driver Adjustable LumbarPassenger Adjustable LumbarSeat MemoryPass-Through Rear SeatRear Bench Seat3rd Row SeatFloor MatsCruise ControlAdjustable Steering WheelLeather Steering WheelPower WindowsPower Door LocksAdjustable PedalsSecurity SystemKeyless EntryKeyless StartRemote Engine StartUniversal Garage Door OpenerEngine ImmobilizerClimate ControlMulti-Zone A/CRear A/CRear DefrostAuto-Dimming Rearview MirrorFront Reading LampsDriver Vanity MirrorPassenger Vanity MirrorDriver Illuminated Vanity MirrorPassenger Illuminated Visor MirrorRear Reading LampsPower OutletWoodgrain Interior TrimABS4-Wheel Disc BrakesTraction ControlStability ControlPassenger Air Bag SensorBack-Up CameraRear Parking AidChild Safety LocksTire Pressure Monitor

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum:chug:

I moved your thread into our Stock 2011+ subforum.

Any way you can link the 2 vehicles from the dealership websites? Those descriptions don't say much other than the standard equipment

Of the 2 I think the limited is actually the better value since its a fairly loaded 301a vs the 201a Xlt. However I think you can do a little better on price on either one, I know at my dealer I have more loaded Xlt's (2012&2013) for about the same price.

Hard to say what is better. What is the price you negotiated for each before taxes and everything else? A trade always screws up whether you are getting a deal because it gives the dealer 2 ways to play with pricing.

What is the value they gave you on your trade?

Also, powertrain is engine only (no bolt ons covered)... tranny isnt covered under powertrain. If that is close to your budget, Id get the xlt and a Ford premium esp for around $1,700 that will cover almost everything for 125,000 miles (6 years) or go 7 years for a couple hundred more.

Get an oasis report from a Ford dealer to see their repair history. Lots of tsbs for them.

Was the 2011 a lease? If not, makes me wonder why someone traded it in right before the warranty is up. They definitely took a hit on that deal. Oasis should tell you the real story.

Boils down to what you like. With the warranty you are covered. Repair history - My 2011 had lots of issues early, all got fixed under warranty, and it has been rock solid for the last year and a half. Mine has everything but the DVD and I love the bells and whistles. The bliss/ACC/collision warning is something I would continue to look for.

The 2011 was the first year for the redesigned Explorer and was prone to a few more issues than the later models although some major issues still exist in the current model. My 2011 Limited has had only a couple of minor problems that were easily fixed. There are also many members that have the 2011 model and are very happy with it.
The Limited you are looking at has the rear view camera which is very handy and it also has the power passenger seat. There are a few posts about the inability to raise the non powered passenger seat. The complaint centered around the seat being too low particularly for the wife. Perhaps this is something you should look at as well. Another thing to consider is that the Limited likely has the 20" wheels while the XLT has 18" wheels. So there will be a difference in the cost and selection of tires. For safety reasons, I run dedicated Winter tires in the colder weather and I have them mounted on the Base model 17" wheels. I don't know if you plan on using Winter tires as well but that may also be something to take into consideration.

Peter

Back