2013-2016 Rear Hatch Struts - HD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013-2016 Rear Hatch Struts - HD

bburzycki

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
For those of you in colder climates this might be a good solution for the rear hatch "falling down".

These are intended to give a bit more opening to the gate and also hold them up when police equipment is mounted in the rear hatch. Lights etc.

These clearly do not work on the vehicles with remote hatch opening and were originally intended for the Police Interceptor models.

Link to information:
http://www.havis.com/products/KIT_GAS_SPRING_PR_180LBF-122153-71.html

If you get with a local Havis dealer the price might also be slightly better.

I've never experienced the liftgate falling down and don't recall anyone else posting about it either. Those struts in the picture look very similar to the ones I have holding up the hood on my vehicle.

Peter

I've never experienced the liftgate falling down and don't recall anyone else posting about it either.
I have had an issue where the hatch did not fully open. it started a couple years ago. At the time, there were no after market struts available. Haven't looked lately, but I'm sure I will as the temps are dropping and I'm sure the hatch will not fully open this winter.

As far as $90 per strut, that seems like a bit much. It might be slightly larger than stock with a higher pressure gas load, but there is nothing special, other than who is selling them.

Back