2013 Interceptor Utility - Clicking/Tapping Noise In Rear Cargo Area | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Interceptor Utility - Clicking/Tapping Noise In Rear Cargo Area

ntoda00

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Interceptor Utility
I need help in trying to identify a random clicking or tapping noise or sound happening in the rear cargo area of my 2013 Police Interceptor Utility (Police version of the Explorer). This noise can be heard inside the vehicle from the driver seat most of the time. This noise occurs at random times. I've noticed the noise while stopped at a traffic light but more often while my vehicle is parked after I've been idling for a while. The times that my vehicle is parked idling, my rear A/C is running at fan speed 2/5 and temp 2/4 "blue" cool indicators showing for the temp of the rear A/C. I'm parked without any shade and the average outdoor temperature is about 90 degrees. Car speakers are turned to 0. The loudness of the noise varies and also the speed and pause duration between clicks varies as well. I climbed into the cargo area and was able to narrow it down to possibly coming from the lift gate or right rear quarter panel. Again, the vehicle is parked while this noise happens. Also I don't notice the noise at night. Any help in identifying this noise is appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It just happened again... Only three single tap sounds. It sounded more metallic like. Like when you tap the exterior of your vehicle with your finger nail. Hope this helps in helping me identify this problem.

It just happened again... Only three single tap sounds. It sounded more metallic like. Like when you tap the exterior of your vehicle with your finger nail. Hope this helps in helping me identify this problem.
Would it possibly be a sound made like when something is contracting or expanding?

Peter

I was thinking that as well

Back