• Register Today It's free!

2013 8-Speaker Audio System Help

DIBeX

Reaction score
City, State
Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
I've tried searching the forums and on Google, but I cannot find this information anywhere, so I apologize if I missed a post that's already answered these questions.

1. Is the 8-speaker system for 2013 the same speaker sizes as they are for 2012 models? I tried using Crutchfield's "what fits my car" option and they don't have 2013 as an option yet.

2. Since I couldn't search for 2013 I searched under 2012 for "what fits my car" and it returned 4 different speaker sizes: 5.25", 6.5", 6.75", and 7". Are each of these sizes used in the audio system, and if so where is each one located? If not, can anyone please tell me the correct sizes and locations?

3. My XLT has the MyFord Touch system. Is it possible to connect an amplifier to the system that won't interfere with how Sync works?

Thank you in advance for any answers you can provide. I'm trying to find out everything I can without ripping my trim panels apart :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We haven't done any of our research on the 2013 models yet. Based on the previous model all of those speakers will fit. We have a bracket that will make all those speakers work.
In a 2012 there is a component set in each door. You actually have a small 6x9 speaker in front door with a tweeter. The 6x9 is a unique size so none of the aftermarket 6x9s will fit so you have to go with bracket to do a 5-1/4, 6-1/2, 6-3/4 or 7 inch speaker. The rear door has a 6-3/4 and tweeter but you will still need a bracket to make the woofer fit better.
You can install any amplifier with the right converters. Some amps have a speaker or high level input so you can connect the radio directly to the new amp.
I'll keep you posted on any new info we get on the 2013 Explorers.

Thank you for the info, Vlad!

I submitted a recommendation request to Crutchfield this afternoon to see what speakers would sound the best with just the stock radio powering them. I had Infinity Kappas in my last car and I loved them, but they were driven by an external amp and I'm not convinced I want to go to the trouble of trying to make an external amp work with the MFT system on the Explorer.

Interesting. I too would like to replace the speakers in my '13 Ex with the 9 speaker system with either Infinity Reference or Alpine S series speakers. Any recommendations as to what works/sounds best using the Stock head unit. How many ohms is the stock system running at?

I have just purchased a 2014 Ford Explorer XLT with the "premium" audio system. It is basically the same system as the base model with three more speakers in the cabin. The Fronts are 6x9's, the rears are 6.5 speakers ( circular) and the other speakers are just tweeters except for the center console speaker which I have not figured out yet what that is. I have a Rockford Fosgate amp in the car and there is a whine in all audio sources which I believe is just a bad ground. I do not believe there is an easy way to upgrade the head unit on this system without eliminating the Ford Sync functionality. I am changing the speakers with Kickers (front) and Kenwoods (rear). This is as far as I have gotten with this system. I think that it would have been much easier if I had just bought the Sony limited system at first and really not touched anything. The XLT with the premium system is not as upgradable as I originally thought.

Back