what size round speakers?

Byrd91

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Penobscot, Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
I have heard that round speakers will sound somewhat better than 6x8's because of the symmetry of the speaker. Is this true and what size can I fit it the factory opening with a plate. I think I have heard that up to a 6.5 will fit, but will an oversize 6.5(6.75) fit in. I found some on Ebay that I might try to get. Any tips will be appreciated. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've been told its a 5x7.. and ya, clarion makes a component plate infact, you can buy a set for $100 check out www.clarionmultimedia.com for the details, I looked into it, but decided a real component set would be better, although more costly.

Here's the deal. A 5.25" speaker will fit perfectly with an adapter plate. Crutchfield has them for $10, or free with 5.25" speaker purchase. You can fit a 6.5" speaker in your stock 5"x7"/6"x8" speaker location but you are gonna have to make your own speaker plate. I've looked around and I can't find anyone who makes a 6.5" plate. What you do is get a piece of MDF and cut it to the size of the stock opening, but it needs to be a little larger, here's why. The stock opening is 6"x8". The 6.5" speaker is 1/2" larger so it would apear as if it wouldn't fit. The plate you make must me oversized so that you can have room for the larger width. Basically you'll cut a 7.5"x"8" rectangular piece of MDF, (make sure it's about 3/4" of an inch thick) After you've cut the speaker hole for the 6.5" driver, screw the new speaker into the hole you cut. The extra width of the MDF should give the speaker clearance in the stock location although this could change with different speakers. Then, once the speaker in the plate screw the plate into the stock location using the 4 screw locations for the stock speaker.

Sorry that was kinda confusing but I hope you understand. An oversized 6.5" speaker maybe pushing it a little. The size difference in the speaker isn't in cone size but in the size of the basket. Some cars, such as Chrysler have these oversized openings and the extra basket diameter is needed.

Hope I helped and sorry so long.

Steve

ywah its true, they do sound better. the ovals tend to bend and that causes distortion, teh round speakers act as pistons which i found to be amuch cleaner sound.

Yep that's the reason. Think about it have you ever seen an oval subwoofer? Actually Kicker makes a 6x9 woofer but I've never seen it.

Steve

Back