Remote starter options | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Remote starter options

Program Key

Rial:

Did you program the key? If not see "Programming spare integrated keyhead transmitter (IKT) keys" on Page 154 of your Owner Guide. That may be all you need to do.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I need also to have the remote start option enabled. It is not present now.

I need also to have the remote start option enabled. It is not present now.

Rial,

Can you post a picture of the key? The kit online says only one key is included?

I wonder if I put this system in, and replaced my wife's key with the kit key, if the remote start would work? Or would that button trigger the lift gate? Certainly they can't operate off the same command.

I decided not to cut the second key, maybe I will sell it for a profit :D

Knowing what we now know...not a bad idea! I sort of wish my second (or is it fourth) key wasn't cut.

Group buy on remote starters! Pair up, get one key instead of two and pay half price :D

Rial,

Can you post a picture of the key? The kit online says only one key is included?

No need for a picture. It is exactly like the stock key, but with a fourth button for the remote start.

TxRanger351w

Two keys were included. I expected one as well, as stated in all related marketing materials, but the dealer and Ford installation instructions confirmed that two is the correct number. Do not have it with me, but will post later. It is exactly as the original 3 button key, but with a 4th button instead of a blank position besides the panic button.

No idea on the liftgate thing. They mention in some places that it is not intended for vehicles with a power lift gate, though.

"Enjoy the comfort and convenience of a pre-warmed or pre-cooled vehicle. This handy available Ford system can start/stop the engine from up to 300 feet (distance may vary depending on location and environment). The Plug-n-Play also automatically activates heated/cooled seats and sets the heater or air conditioner to 72 degrees on the dual-zone electronic automatic temperature control – if so equipped. In addition, the Key Fob features Remote Keyless Entry, Car Find and Panic functions. Available only for vehicles with an automatic transmission and power door locks. Not available for vehicles with the power liftgate."

Works beautifully...

At least for the moment. It took less than 5 minutes to the dealer to enable the Remote Start option after hooking up the IDS. Got charged, though, US$ 50 for it.

Now I have a Remote Start menu in the Adjustments/Vehicle section, where I can enable/disable it as well as control AC and front and rear defrosters.

It works as advertised, but need to be careful when showing off, as it will not start if two starting attempts have been made in the previous hour.

Rial and others,

I know this is a month or so old, but I am a new owner of an XLT and ordered remote start from the dealer. Using the same part # that others have used (BB5Z-19G364-A), the parts guy is telling me that it includes a new FOB and a module or two, etc.

Is the Ford parts computer just not updated to show the new kit? Will I be pleasantly surprised when it arrives and (hopefully) has two new keys?

I know this issue has been discussed but I just want to make sure I am getting what I want.

Thanks in advance!

I got my BB5Z-19G364-A Remote Starter kit today. It contains... 2 keys and that's it. I sent an e-mail to the dealer where I got it to ask if something was missing (something like a control module or similar). Got also the hood switch which is required.

However,I somewhat got to a page where the installation instructions were and, surprise, description for the kit is just the two 4-button keys. Reading thru the instructions, the only need you need to do is install the Hood Switch (which looks like it is done without even a screwdriver...), cutting the keys to match the original, and program them as you do for any extra key. No computer hookup or reflashing or reprogramming.

I paid US$ 201 in total for the kit and hood switch, so if true, I guess that charging US$ 500+ for the installation is kind of a rip-off.

I have not installed it yet, but I believe the instructions are clear enough (if I got the right ones...)

CORRECTION: Read thru the instructions again and you need to connect to a IDS device to activate the remote start in the vehicle.

See the above quote. He has purchased the kit. I have not purchased the kit yet, but it appears that all you get is the two keys with 4 buttons. The fourth button is for remote start. The dealer need to connect the vehicle to a computer to activate the remote starter. This kit only works with vehicles that do not have power liftgate.

Thanks. Had mine installed today. $417.00 out the door and two new keys. :thumbsup:

There was discussion about having an aftermarket system installed (like a Viper?) because they are the people who make the Explorer factory systems. Has anyone experimented with this and successfully retained the "factory" functions (lift gate, alarm, panic) AND added remote start?

There was discussion about having an aftermarket system installed (like a Viper?) because they are the people who make the Explorer factory systems. Has anyone experimented with this and successfully retained the "factory" functions (lift gate, alarm, panic) AND added remote start?

I looked into this extensively but came up empty. Checked with several installers in my area, some of them seemed very knowledgeable, but even they could not help. Also spoke with Audiovox support (the makers of Code Alarm and CarLink) but they knew nothing about OEM.

My last hope is that Ford will eventually come out with a factory smartphone solution (just like GM did). When you think about it, they have all the right ingredients and it could easily be part of SYNC/MFT. I'm really surprised Sirius/XM is not offering this service or at least be a signal carrier.

I looked into this extensively but came up empty. Checked with several installers in my area, some of them seemed very knowledgeable, but even they could not help. Also spoke with Audiovox support (the makers of Code Alarm and CarLink) but they knew nothing about OEM. .

A close friend of mine works as an installer. We looked through the Viper options, and while there's not true plug & play method of swapping the modules out, they can install the remote start, windows, etc. You'd just lose the factory key function.

This might be the path we pursue to get the desired remote start (plus remote window control).

Viper also offers a smart phone controlled option. It's a subscription service, which I'm not too fond of.

The next item on our list is the Lockpick to enable full-time video and back-up camera action.

I just purchased a 2012 Explorer Base.

The dealer installed the ford remote start. They claim the remote start module is already built in the explorer. What they needed to do was just program the bidirectional remote to work in the system and add the bidirectional antenna. This cost me $425.
They also gave me an additional one button remote as well.

Back