2013 Explorer Sport muffler leak question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Explorer Sport muffler leak question

KamloopsDan

Reaction score
City, State
Kamloops, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
Hey,

I was wondering if anyone here had ever experienced a slight leak in their exhaust muffler?

I remote start my explorer during the winter and leave it idling for 10 minutes to warm up. This is when I began to notice notice two black soot marks on my driveway. Upon closer inspection I can see a very small leak that drips down on to the floor. These photos show what I am trying to describe.
Imgur
Imgur

I took it to my local Ford dealer and they said it is not covered under their certified pre-owned warranty. That's fair enough, I will take it to a muffler shop and ask them to patch it up, but I was wondering if this is a common issue? The car is 6 years old after all.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have not heard of this one yet in all the years I've been on here.

Are you sure it is a "leak"? Many have that 'soot' on their exhaust tips. As blwnsmoke said, this specific issue has not been brought up here before. It might just be a bad connection between the tip and the exhaust pipe.

Peter

I've not looked at my explorer, but my edge had a small hole in the end plate at the bottom of each muffler to help drain condensation. If the explorer has them they could be blocked which would cause condensation to build up.

Irregardless, if your mufflers have them, make sure they are clear and do not let the muffler shop close them. Reminds me to take a look at mine. If it doesn't have them I'll add them.

Not trying to panic or scare anyone but exhaust leaks need to be taken seriously...Follow along with the CO2 issues with the PIU (Police Explorer) and be forewarned. I have seen a lopt of down turning of the Exhaust pipes which seems to help. Since CO2 is colorless and odorless I recommend being very cautious.

Not trying to panic or scare anyone but exhaust leaks need to be taken seriously...Follow along with the CO2 issues with the PIU (Police Explorer) and be forewarned. I have seen a lopt of down turning of the Exhaust pipes which seems to help. Since CO2 is colorless and odorless I recommend being very cautious.
The leak is in OP's case is the tip of the exhaust, not the entire system.
Nothing to worry about!

I've not looked at my explorer, but my edge had a small hole in the end plate at the bottom of each muffler to help drain condensation. If the explorer has them they could be blocked which would cause condensation to build up.

Irregardless, if your mufflers have them, make sure they are clear and do not let the muffler shop close them. Reminds me to take a look at mine. If it doesn't have them I'll add them.

That makes perfect sense, I will get some mild steel wool and clean them up so I can see exactly what is going on. It could actually be working as designed but the car is running rich in the colder months and causing the black exhaust condensation.

Soot is usually an indication your engine is running rich (needs 'tune up' or excessive idling).

I don't use remote start and I don't idle unnecessarily and there is no condensation or soot on my exhaust systems.

Back