2013 Explorer Sport TPMS Troubleshooting | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Explorer Sport TPMS Troubleshooting

MiWiAu

Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
Good morning Boys & Girls!

I'm trying to figure out a gremlin in my 2013 XSport TPMS system. Here's the background:

1) I put Ford Police Interceptor wheels (18x8" steel) on my truck with winter tires to replace the OE 20" wheels.
2) Police Interceptor wheels contain NEW Ford TPMS snap-in sensors that have never been paired with my vehicle.
3) The sensors all read with the ATEQ VT30 TPMS Service tool: 6866BCC4 (LF), 6866BC25 (RF), 6866B886 (RR), 6866B834 (LR). Battery life reads "OK", frequency confirmed at 315 MHz, tire pressures set to OE 35PSI
4) I can get the truck into training mode
5) I can NOT get the vehicle to recognize the new sensors (indicated by a single horn honk when a sensor is recognized)

Here's what I've tried, unsuccessfully, so far:
1) Waking sensors by:
a) Driving for 2 mins minimum above 20MPH
b) magnet over valve stem
c) Putting the truck on jack stands, removing valve cores, waiting 5 mins mininum @ 0 psi, and refilling
d) ATEQ VT30 TPMS tool

2) Triggering sensors (while in training mode) by:
a) Ford TPMS19 tool
b) ATEQ VT30 TPMS tool
c) Letting air out of a tire

I have confirmed that the OE 20" wheels can be successfully triggered and retrained to the vehicle using both my TPMS19 tool and the ATEQ VT30 TPMS tool. I had no issues/errors with the 20" OE wheels/sensors prior to installing my 18" winter wheels.

I am getting a flashing TPMS indicator that turns to solid after about 60 seconds or so on the dash. I also get errors in the message center; sometimes I get "Tire Pressure Sensor Fault", other times it is "Tire Pressure Monitor Fault".

I have a bluetooth adapter on the way to try and hook in with FORScan to see if I can maybe identify and/or clear any stored DTC codes or manually program my TPMS sensor IDs, but I wanted to solicit some advice from you guys in the meantime.

As a final note, Costco, Tires Plus, and Ford dealer could not get the sensors to program. My Ford experience last night was a joke. I had to show two of the guys how to use the VT30 service tool. One of the guys plugged in a VCM, but I did not get any resolution from his efforts. Their "guesses" were: 1) TPMS sensors were for the wrong model year, 2) TPMS sensors were for the wrong model vehicle, or 3) Since the vehicle came with 20" wheels, the 18" wheels might be causing the problem. Needless to say (but I will anyways), I don't have much confidence in taking the next step with my dealer to resolve this issue, so I'm hoping to resolve this with your help.

Thanks!!
Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you buy these Interceptor wheels from the dealer with sensors already installed? One thing I found out is that sensors designed for the 2016/17 models or those designed for 4 wheel readouts will not work with vehicles designed to register low tire pressure from non specific wheel locations. Are you sure that you have the proper sensors? Wheel size should not affect the sensors.

Peter

Good morning Boys & Girls!

I'm trying to figure out a gremlin in my 2013 XSport TPMS system. Here's the background:

1) I put Ford Police Interceptor wheels (18x8" steel) on my truck with winter tires to replace the OE 20" wheels.
2) Police Interceptor wheels contain NEW Ford TPMS snap-in sensors that have never been paired with my vehicle.
3) The sensors all read with the ATEQ VT30 TPMS Service tool: 6866BCC4 (LF), 6866BC25 (RF), 6866B886 (RR), 6866B834 (LR). Battery life reads "OK", frequency confirmed at 315 MHz, tire pressures set to OE 35PSI
4) I can get the truck into training mode
5) I can NOT get the vehicle to recognize the new sensors (indicated by a single horn honk when a sensor is recognized)

Here's what I've tried, unsuccessfully, so far:
1) Waking sensors by:
a) Driving for 2 mins minimum above 20MPH
b) magnet over valve stem
c) Putting the truck on jack stands, removing valve cores, waiting 5 mins mininum @ 0 psi, and refilling
d) ATEQ VT30 TPMS tool

2) Triggering sensors (while in training mode) by:
a) Ford TPMS19 tool
b) ATEQ VT30 TPMS tool
c) Letting air out of a tire

I have confirmed that the OE 20" wheels can be successfully triggered and retrained to the vehicle using both my TPMS19 tool and the ATEQ VT30 TPMS tool. I had no issues/errors with the 20" OE wheels/sensors prior to installing my 18" winter wheels.

I am getting a flashing TPMS indicator that turns to solid after about 60 seconds or so on the dash. I also get errors in the message center; sometimes I get "Tire Pressure Sensor Fault", other times it is "Tire Pressure Monitor Fault".

I have a bluetooth adapter on the way to try and hook in with FORScan to see if I can maybe identify and/or clear any stored DTC codes or manually program my TPMS sensor IDs, but I wanted to solicit some advice from you guys in the meantime.

As a final note, Costco, Tires Plus, and Ford dealer could not get the sensors to program. My Ford experience last night was a joke. I had to show two of the guys how to use the VT30 service tool. One of the guys plugged in a VCM, but I did not get any resolution from his efforts. Their "guesses" were: 1) TPMS sensors were for the wrong model year, 2) TPMS sensors were for the wrong model vehicle, or 3) Since the vehicle came with 20" wheels, the 18" wheels might be causing the problem. Needless to say (but I will anyways), I don't have much confidence in taking the next step with my dealer to resolve this issue, so I'm hoping to resolve this with your help.

Thanks!!
Mike

Im laughing at your dealer experience as that's exactly what I get when I go to the dealership. Customer knows the product better then the people paid and trained to work on it.

I believe you have the exact opposite issue I have.

In 2013 I beleive the frequency was not 315Mhz but 433Mhz or something different then 315Mhz. There was a Job2 TPMS change and thats caused lots of confusion.

Using your VIN will tell you exactly which frequency you have.

The other issue is that the new 2016/17 315Mhz TPMS sensor is NOT compatible with the older 315Mhz TPMS, so perhaps your wheels came with the newer 315Mhz and they are compatible with a 2013 model year 315Mhz TPMS.

Very confusing for the customer even more so for the dealers.

I have 2014 315Mhz installed on my police wheels and I get same TPMS fault you do. I had to get newer 2017 315 Mhz sensors so it will go away.

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

Did you buy these Interceptor wheels from the dealer with sensors already installed? One thing I found out is that sensors designed for the 2016/17 models or those designed for 4 wheel readouts will not work with vehicles designed to register low tire pressure from non specific wheel locations. Are you sure that you have the proper sensors? Wheel size should not affect the sensors.

Peter

I bought the wheels reconditioned and purchased the sensors separately from a tire dealer in Michigan via their eBay store (first mistake). Their listing cross-references multiple part numbers, which include the correct PN for my vehicle. At this point, I'm not sure of anything. LOL Other than the fact that I can read all sensors with my TPMS service tool. :)

In 2013 I beleive the frequency was not 315Mhz but 433Mhz or something different then 315Mhz.

Using your VIN will tell you exactly which frequency you have.

Verifying by VIN on fordparts.com, it looks like my correct sensors should be TPMS12 (9L3Z1A189A), which are both listed in the seller's listing. These are 315 MHz sensors.

I also used my TPMS service tool and confirmed the OE sensors are reading 315 MHz, but perhaps they are different vintages, like you mention, Sgt.

Can you tell by looking at the sensor s/n if they are different vintages? Note the base numbers on my OE sensors (359C) are different from the new sensors (6866). Not sure if this is telling, or if it's just a different s/n from a newer lot of sensors.

18" Police Interceptor (currently installed, won't train)
6866BCC4 (LF)
6866BC25 (RF)
6866B886 (RR)
6866B834 (LR)

20" OE Split 5-Spoke
359C98DA
359C14FC
359C0ECC
359C14C0

Thanks again!

I can tell you that my 16 Edge that has the newer style TPMS that would be the same as the 16+ explorer and start with a SN of "6" as read by the BCM.

My guess is that you have the sensors (18" wheels) that are designed to show individual wheel pressure readouts like those for the 2016/17 models. The ones replaced in my 18" wheels which worked with just the TPMS Warning system are all TPMS-12. The invoice for the updated sensors to work with my 2017 shows TPMS*35*Kit. Looking a couple parts websites, the 315MHz TPMS for a 2016 Sport is F2GZ-1A189-A.
http://parts.autonationfordwhitebea...onitor-components-scat/?part_name=tpms-sensor
http://www.tascaparts.com/?p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=all&search_str=tpms

Peter

Hmmm. Looking at Google Images, it seems like the TPMS 35 sensors have a completely different sensor body vs the TPMS12.

The sensors I installed look like TPMS12 sensors I see on Google, not the TPMS35.

Was there any overlap where TPMS35 compatible sensors looked identical to the TPMS12 sensors? If the TPMS35 has always had unique packaging, then I'm 1000% positive that's NOT what's in my wheels.

LOL. Just when you think there couldn't possibly be any more plot twists.

Hmmm. Looking at Google Images, it seems like the TPMS 35 sensors have a completely different sensor body vs the TPMS12.

The sensors I installed look like TPMS12 sensors I see on Google, not the TPMS35.

Was there any overlap where TPMS35 compatible sensors looked identical to the TPMS12 sensors? If the TPMS35 has always had unique packaging, then I'm 1000% positive that's NOT what's in my wheels.

LOL. Just when you think there couldn't possibly be any more plot twists.
The 2 links I provided also showed 2 different images for the same TPMS. I didn't see the new ones they installed on mine but the removed ones have that rectangular piece. I have 4 of them sitting here without the valve stems.

Peter

The 2 links I provided also showed 2 different images for the same TPMS.
Peter

You are absolutely right. The first link (autonation) looks like the sensors I installed. I wonder if they just reused a generic image from a parts book, or if they actually had TPMS35 sensors in the older style sensor packaging...

When I searched tasca with the PN you provided, that looked like the other TPMS35 sensors I saw on my google search, which is definitely different from what have.

I'm supposed to get my bluetooth adapter for FORScan tomorrow. I was going to try to clear any BCM codes and try to reprogram the wheels again. Maybe present DTCs will not allow reprogramming??

Not sure if I can force the new sensor s/n's into the BCM using FORScan or not, but if so, that might be a secondary operation I can try.

sounds like non compatible sensors since you mention your old rims programmed without issues

I tried to get some assistance from my contacts and apparently the newer 16/17 sensors have valve stem caps that are smaller than the previous TPMS.

Check out these pictures, both look identical but closer inspection shows the frequencies are different 315Mhz and 433Mhz

TPMS1.jpg

TPMS2.jpg

Great. 433Mhz is right in the middle of the 70cm Amateur Radio band. Just one more thing to cause interference.

Hey guys, just a quick follow-up on my issue. I ordered 4 brand new Schrader "direct fit" sensors off Rock Auto. These are not marked FoMoCo, but they otherwise look identical (other than the red housing) to the replacement sensors I purchased, but did not work.

At any rate, all 4 of the new sensors trained nearly instantly without issue. Even though my TPMS service tool said battery/frequency was correct on my eBay sensors, they did not work, and new sensors wound up resolving my issue.

Thanks for your help!

Back