2013 Sport 3.5 EB Died in traffic cranks won't fire up | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Sport 3.5 EB Died in traffic cranks won't fire up

Post number 46 has been selected as best answered.

I have to find a reliable way to test the throttle body, because the code can point to bad communication with PCM, one or both could be bad or a crappy connection. I'm about ready to throw in the towel on this one, cuz "Baby it's cold outside".
I have to admit that I do admire your persistence. :thumbsup: I would have taken it to the dealer long ago.:D

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know I said it before but... Those oxygen sensors should have been replaced with the new turbo. That's just cheap insurance given the oil contaminated everything. The repeat code is also assuring.

If nothing changes after that I would bring it somewhere that has Ford IDS software. That's what they use at the dealership for diagnosis.

True on the O2 sensors, they will be replaced but they have no bearing on cold start open loop running. It's my son's car he's in 12th grade so I don't want to spend his money unwisely. The parts I erroneously threw at it are on me, we have a throttle body assembly coming and if that doesn't do it, I have a friend in the biz who will get it going. It has been a fun and frustrating learning experience along with a manure-bucketful of buyer's remorse but it'll be good soon. Redid compression tests today cold engine we're at 3500 ft above sea level getting 135-145 psi not bad.

Installed the throttle body assembly today. D'oh!!!! Still won't start.

Have you tried throwing the kitchen sink at it? Maybe shoot a message over to Brian at BSG automotive (FordTechMakaloko) and see if he responds.

What you are experiencing is not common and may be a faulty ECU or some other malfunction in the system.

Have you run through all the service tests that you can with just the key on using ForScan?

I just got my new laptop to use with the OBDLink ex and Forscan, I will run the koeo test today. I feel like I have thrown 2 sinks at it , getting nowhere.

Solved!! I was way off too. There is a third cat on these cars, I didn't pay it much attention rolling around on the floor, it would be obvious were the car on a hoist. Anyway it was plugged solid. Replaced it with pipes pro-tempus and she's a rocket ship. Thanks for all your help guys, wahoo!!!!

Solved!! I was way off too. There is a third cat on these cars, I didn't pay it much attention rolling around on the floor, it would be obvious were the car on a hoist. Anyway it was plugged solid. Replaced it with pipes pro-tempus and she's a rocket ship. Thanks for all your help guys, wahoo!!!!

Awesome. I knew the catalytic converters were suspect from the start when you mentioned the turbo was blowing oil. Thing must run like a champ now with all the new parts haha

U bet and it won't need fuel pump /module and throttle body for the rest of its life. Probably not going to get a third cat either because the exhaust note is so sweet and we don't do emissions testing here, who knows maybe pick up a MPG?

Its not a cat its just a resonator. Ford puts them on everything. They used to put 4 catalytic converters on foxbody mustangs. Just ridiculous

It sounds very healthy right now and my son sold the cat to a scrap dealer for $175. Playing the meth-head game I guess.

Back