2013 XLT - AC Clutch Dying?

caubs

Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi all,

Had a bit of a scare driving my 2013 Explorer XLT 3.5L (non-turbo). I had the AC on and suddenly noticed smoke coming from the hood area and a bit in the vents. I turned off the climate control and pulled over. There was definitely a burnt odour coming from the hood.

After a bit of troubleshooting, I noticed that the AC clutch was struggling to turn when I turned on the AC. It turns but not smoothly, and I'm sure was close to fully seizing. There were no sounds being emitted, and I could see the belt turning around the pulley fine. In addition, when I turned the AC on, I would immediately feel cold air coming out the vents.

I'm not the best with auto repairs, I know the basics but I'm thinking it is likely a faulty clutch given the circumstances described above. Is there anything else I should consider or just replace the clutch, and look at the belt's condition?

The OEM clutch assembly will run me about 400$ (CDN) according to the dealership.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

I'm not familiar with how the clutch engages but I'm guessing it turns freely when the A/C if off? That should prevent glazing of the belt.
There seems to have been quite a few failures of A/C systems lately. I heard on CFRA this morning that the weather is expected to be warmer than average and it will continue into November so you may need your A/C for a while yet.

Peter

Back