2013 XLT Rear Bumper & Backup Sensor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 XLT Rear Bumper & Backup Sensor

Reaction score
City, State
Babylon, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 XLT
Yeah, so in the pouring rain last week, dumba$$ me backed into the cement base of a light post at Lowes. Not a crash, but a good hit. No dents, but scratched the black lower part of the bumper only, not the painted part. Tried wet sanding out the scratches, and it just turned the area white and looks like poo. I've seen videos on how to remove and replace it but would appreciate a source for an aftermarket one at a reasonable price-plain one...no towing package.
Also, I think one of the backup sensors took a hit (the one just to the right of the rear license plate), as now on the screen, I see Green, yellow, red on the left of the screen as I backup, but nothing from the right side one. Guess I should replace that at the same time. Didn't know they could break; thought they were solid-state or something. Again, would appreciate a domestic source for a non-dealer replacement.
Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Many aftermarket items bought by members seem to come from either eBay or Amazon. I'm not sure about the actual relationship between the sensors and the camera.
Have you tried turning the rear sensors OFF and seeing if that clears up the screen?

Peter

I've seen a couple of different brands of bumpers on Fleabay and Amazon. Was just looking for a known good brand. Haven't tried turning sensors off and back on. Not sure how, but all the others work, so not sure that would help.

I've seen a couple of different brands of bumpers on Fleabay and Amazon. Was just looking for a known good brand. Haven't tried turning sensors off and back on. Not sure how, but all the others work, so not sure that would help.
see page 247 of your Owner's Manual under Parking Aids. I meant to turn them OFF and leave them that way and then see if the screen is back to normal.

Peter

I'm wondering if perhaps the camera itself is bad now. It's possible there might be some error codes stored that may help. I don't see how a damaged sensor could affect the video. Perhaps someone else may have an idea.

Peter

Back