2013 XLT w/ 2nd row captain chairs | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 XLT w/ 2nd row captain chairs

Thanks VinceL! We test drove one a couple weeks ago because we got a $50 Visa Gift Card from the Minneapolis Auto Show if we went in and test drove a Ford. I have always been a Ford guy so that was an easy $50. My wife is looking to get rid of her Escape and get something bigger. The Edge is not big enough so we are looking at the Explorer. I was surprised at how nice and solid it seemed in the test drive.

I will keep the arm rests in mind. There will just be kids in car seats for the next few years and then kids without car seats after that. They will have to get used to being a little uncomfortable. I just don't want to have to take a car seat out to fold the seats forward to get into the 3rd row in the short term. I also don't want their grubby shoes are over the seats as they climb over the seat to get to the 3rd row. The buckets seemed like the easiest choice for us.

I habve never ordered a vehicle and have contacted about 3 different dealers and asked them their 'best price' on the exact build that we want. None of them have been very excited to do it. They are really trying to get us to buy something off of the lot.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just talked to the dealer and he said there was a "marterials hold" on 2nd row buckets and they wouldn't be available until late June or July. Does anyone know anything about that?

There's supposed to be a production delay until May 7th, so I would imagine those times they gave you reflect that, and the production catch-up time to clear already placed orders.

I feel for you - I ordered my XLT on Jan. 9, 2012 and still don't have it...
I found some great news, R2theJ; see your inbox for the details. :D

I just talked to the dealer and he said there was a "marterials hold" on 2nd row buckets and they wouldn't be available until late June or July. Does anyone know anything about that?
stevenailor,

VinceL is right; production for the XLT 2nd row buckets has been delayed to May 7th.

There's supposed to be a production delay until May 7th, so I would imagine those times they gave you reflect that, and the production catch-up time to clear already placed orders.
Thanks for helping out, VinceL. :)

Cory

It's the least I could do Cory :)

Below is what the dealer told me (via email):

When Carrie (new car manager) put together your order a message popped up when she put in the capt seats that said that there was a material hold til July 9th. She checked the latest Ford bulletins and it said that the availability of 2nd row capt seats in the XLT Explorers were pushed back to the end of June. It sounds like there is a limited number of materials for those seats. Thats all we know right now. Let me know what other questions you have and how I can help you out with your purchase.

So, I guess we would wait until late July or early August if we ordered one now with captain's chairs. That is kind of depressing.

With second row buckets+console, does the back still fold down flat?

Yeah, it does. The 2nd row still fold flat, and the top of the console, which would stick up if left closed, is hinged at the front so it opens forward, creating a flat path across both 2nd row seats. Of course, you have a gaping hole that is the interior of the console, and I wouldn't want to put too much weight on the opened lid, but it is all flat nonetheless.

With second row buckets+console, does the back still fold down flat?
w1kedz,

VinceL is too quick; he already jumped on that question like a kitten on yarn. ;)

So, I guess we would wait until late July or early August if we ordered one now with captain's chairs...
That’s correct, stevenailor; the 2nd row buckets on the XLT are currently scheduled for production on July 9th.

Yeah, it does. The 2nd row still fold flat, and the top of the console, which would stick up if left closed, is hinged at the front so it opens forward, creating a flat path across both 2nd row seats...
Thanks again, VinceL. :)

Cory

Thanks Cory. You are a huge help around here. Do you think that there is any possibility that they will decide not to build any XLT's with Captain's Chairs ever? They seem to be focused on Limiteds and then the Sports will start into production. Both of those models are bigger money makers than an XLT.

Yeah, it does. The 2nd row still fold flat, and the top of the console, which would stick up if left closed, is hinged at the front so it opens forward, creating a flat path across both 2nd row seats. Of course, you have a gaping hole that is the interior of the console, and I wouldn't want to put too much weight on the opened lid, but it is all flat nonetheless.

Thanks I can work w/ the open console, etc, as long as it will lay flat. Awesome explanation btw :)

Thanks Cory. You are a huge help around here. Do you think that there is any possibility that they will decide not to build any XLT's with Captain's Chairs ever?...
Thank you so much for saying that, stevenailor! :D The date was updated, so I’m confident they’ll go into production on July 9th.

Cory

Thanks I can work w/ the open console, etc, as long as it will lay flat. Awesome explanation btw :)

Glad to be of help! :)

Did they move all XLT captain seat production to July from May? Or is this just effecting people that order now?

Thanks Cory!

Their is still hope that our early March order is going to make the May production run. I don't think that my wife could wait until July/August for her new explorer.

Cory, does that mean that all of the orders that have been made already will start being built in May? and all of the orders that would be placed now would start being built in July? I was guessing that everything was pushed back until July (meaning no XLT buckets being built until July) and all of the existing orders would have to be completed first meaning anything ordered now would be into August or even later.

I know that is a weird and complicated question.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

New to this thread, thanks for Cory for all his helpful information. Just to report that we ordered our XLT with buckets in early March and were told it would be made on the May 7 production date and just yesterday our dealer informed us that the production has been delayed to July 9 (obviously super disappointed with that). So the question I have is, is that just some orders delayed to July 9 (including ours), or has the entire May 7 production been delayed to July 9 because of supply of the buckets seats?

Back