joefoss

Reaction score
City, State
Battle Creek MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
Police
Callsign
WD8BVL
I have a 2014 Ford Explorer. I want XM radio so I got a junk yard radio from the same Explorer. The plugs are the same. The radio turns on but will not change channels or provide audio. I was told to take it to a dealer and they can program it o the vehicle computer. I spent $118 to do that. It did not work. Any ideas how I can get this to work?? Some say the swapped radio must be the same model as the original radio. That is a Clarion must be a Clarion. My original radio isL PU-3889L-A ( Ford #: EB5T19C107EA.) I tried to replace and program the DA8-19c107-JD (Ford#: EB5T19C107AB). That did not seem to do anything. What do I need to do here?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From reading your post about the same issue in the PI forum, I am guessing you put the replacement in, went to the dealer and had them program it and now it works just like the original did (solving the issues noted in the PI forum) but you still have no Sirius. That is because they programmed it for your vehicle which didn't have Sirius from the factory. A dealer tech is not going to know how to add something that did not have it from the factory unless it is a direct function of the software (which it isn't) and even then many many times they aren't aware of it and say it can't be done. (a fine example of this would be remote start).

From reading your post about the same issue in the PI forum, I am guessing you put the replacement in, went to the dealer and had them program it and now it works just like the original did (solving the issues noted in the PI forum) but you still have no Sirius. That is because they programmed it for your vehicle which didn't have Sirius from the factory. A dealer tech is not going to know how to add something that did not have it from the factory unless it is a direct function of the software (which it isn't) and even then many many times they aren't aware of it and say it can't be done. (a fine example of this would be remote start).
They were not able to program the radio as they said they did all of the keystrokes but the radio will not work. Perhaps they did not do it right. They charged $115.00 for the service. Both radios were Clairon products. Seems no one really has a handle on these radio swaps and the nefarious actions of the Mfg's to prevent reuse of junkyard radios.

Never got it resolved? They were probably doing a PMI on it, which won’t work. They just simply need to program the build data.

Never got it resolved? They were probably doing a PMI on it, which won’t work. They just simply need to program the build data.
Yes, how is that done? Who can do that?

The dealer can do it if they aren't idiots. Anyone with the correct hardware,software, licensing can.

Back