2014 Explorer Sport Audio Idea | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Explorer Sport Audio Idea

Reaction score
City, State
Ludlow, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
Alright I posted a question for help in a different thread and continued to research and devise a plan to help improve the volume/quality issue I find in the Sony system. I was going to originally looking at going with kicker speakers but am considering using Alpine for most of the install below.

My plan, which I plan on running by a decent audio shop (all we have in my area is a BestBuy and the kind of shops that only care about putting subs in Civics), is to replace the speakers and add a second amp to my system. To do this I plan on doing the following:

-Connect an AudioControl LC7I to the speaker outputs for the doors of the factory amp
-Use the RCA output from the LC7I to connect to a Alpine PDX-F4 (100w x 4)
-Find a place to mount the new amp, under the front seats I already have 2 Kicker Hideaway 11HS8 subwoofers so I will need to see if it’s possible to mount under the 2nd row seating
-Replace the front door speaker and tweeter using a the Alpine SPR-60C and connecting to the Alpine amp
-Replace rear door speaker with the same Alpine SPR-60C, I assume being a 12-speaker system the rear door also contains a component system with tweeter?
-Leave the Factory amp powering the third row speakers, the center channel in the dash and the factory sub.

If this approach works I will then have to consider power drain as my car will be utilizing 4 amplifiers for the radio in different capacity:
-?w for the Factory Amp
-300w (150wx2) for the Kicker Hideaway’s
-400w for the Alpine Amp

But I think in the end this will improve the overall sound quality and will fix the biggest issue I have with the Sony system, the complete lack of volume (I have it almost on ¾ to actually fill the car with sound). And before anyone asks I’m not the person that has it so the car next to me can’t hear their own radio, I just don’t like having to turn the radio up so high and want the controls to be a little more sensitive in the volume department.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you have a volume issue with the radio then I think you have a radio problem. Here is what my usual maximum setting is. Usually it is one or two bars less.

Peter

Attachments

• P4250228_001.JPG
    P4250228_001.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 458

As with any serious audio install, you are bound to pick up extra vibrations, creeks, squeaks etc from taking interior moldings apart etc and installing items that are just not the perfect fit.

I agree with you the stock radio sucks.

Just a heads up on what to typically expect even when it is performed professionally.

This vehicle is already known to make extra sounds even when not agitated.

Buzz

This has to be an issue with only the Sony systems which doesn't really surprise me. In mine my normal setting is about what is posted above and slightly higher if using Itunes radio through the phone. Even the I can turn it all the way up and the sound is crystal clear. Having worked in a high end audio shop and having pretty damn good ears for this stuff the only thing I would do to our stock system is maybe an 8" or 10" woofer just for a little more bass. On the right songs though she will shake the mirrors and rattle anything in the cup holders with no distortion. The audio I would give ford a thumbs up for in out ride.

I'd have to agree. The radio is pretty good. I guess for true audiophiles or stereophiles or what ever they are called, it's not good enough. However, I never usually have mine over half way. It's crystal clear. Usually have to turn the base down.

This has to be an issue with only the Sony systems which doesn't really surprise me. In mine my normal setting is about what is posted above and slightly higher if using Itunes radio through the phone. Even the I can turn it all the way up and the sound is crystal clear. Having worked in a high end audio shop and having pretty damn good ears for this stuff the only thing I would do to our stock system is maybe an 8" or 10" woofer just for a little more bass. On the right songs though she will shake the mirrors and rattle anything in the cup holders with no distortion. The audio I would give ford a thumbs up for in out ride.
I agree on the :thumbsup: for being a 'stock' radio. I was very happy with mine when I had the Ex with 12 speakers. Now I have 19 and a THX system in the new MKT but have no idea what make the radio is.:dunno:

Peter

I agree on the :thumbsup: for being a 'stock' radio. I was very happy with mine when I had the Ex with 12 speakers. Now I have 19 and a THX system in the new MKT but have no idea what make the radio is.:dunno:

Peter

Same here and we have the 12 speaker system. Never really looked into the brand though to be honest. But I sure am glad we didn't get the Sony option as all I've heard are bad reviews from it. Seems like if you pushed Ford hard enough it could probably be swapped out though as it's a less than adequate system. But then again look where we stand with MFT... No resolution in the future if ever besides buying a new vehicle.

Back