2014 Explorer Touchscreen does not work | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Explorer Touchscreen does not work

Paynt075

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
14 Explorer unlimited
My car leaked during a rain storm from the sunroof. I blew out the roof drains and it stopped leaking. However, it looked like it was raining in my car the next day. The water was coming out from the interior roof between the sunroof and the windshield. I ran to the store and put three dampraids in the car. Yet, some water must have gotten into my touchscreen because it does not respond to any touch. I have all four quadrants. The information on them updates (roads, song titles, temp, & phone calls). Any advise on how to fix this on a budget?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I'm guessing that you are not able to get into the Settings and do a Master Reset? The water may have affected the APIM or more likely the screen itself as it is a capacitive touch screen. causing some features to work while others don't. That is, however, purely speculation. If no one else has any ideas, you could try disconnecting the negative battery cable for a few minutes and reconnect to see if that may fix the issue. You will lose some saved memory settings. Has everything had time to dry out since the incident?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I'm guessing that you are not able to get into the Settings and do a Master Reset? The water may have affected the APIM or more likely the screen itself as it is a capacitive touch screen. causing some features to work while others don't. That is, however, purely speculation. If no one else has any ideas, you could try disconnecting the negative battery cable for a few minutes and reconnect to see if that may fix the issue. You will lose some saved memory settings. Has everything had time to dry out since the incident?

Peter
Everything has dried out as far as I know. Dampraid has disintegrated and liquified. I did change the fuse and disconnect the battery for about 30 seconds. Can’t do a master reset. Also I heard online to try the power and do button together at the same time for a master reset. However, of course out of all the manual controls I have on my dash, those are they only two that do not work. I also saw to try the cd eject button and rewind but that didn’t do anything.

Probably time for a replacement display.

Back