2014 piu rear climate controls not powering on | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 piu rear climate controls not powering on

Soccerfn21

Reaction score
City, State
Warner Robins, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer PIU
Purchased a 2014 ford explorer piu and noticed that the rear climate controls don’t work at all. It has the controls on the back of the center console. I removed the center console to get a better look and it has the male console wiring harness. I can’t locate the female that plugs into the console wiring harness. What are my options? Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello, it seems to be someone has put the civilian Explorer console into the vehicle. PIUs are more than likely to be ordered without the rear climate option. If your front panel is missing rear climate controls, your car isn't equipped and those buttons won't do anything.

Purchased a 2014 ford explorer piu and noticed that the rear climate controls don’t work at all. It has the controls on the back of the center console. I removed the center console to get a better look and it has the male console wiring harness. I can’t locate the female that plugs into the console wiring harness. What are my options? Thank you.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
When I began reading your post I also questioned the mention of the center console since the majority of members here are searching for those to install in their PIU. Do you know the history of the vehicle? If it came directly from a Law Enforcement Agency perhaps it was used by an admin person or a supervisor. If it was a patrol car, there would be no need to have the rear HVAC equipment.

Peter

Thanks for the responses. If my truck ends up not being equipped with rear HVAC what are my options? Do I have to pretty much install a rear hvac from scratch. Condenser, a/c lines, wiring, ducts, etc. if so, what are the exact parts I would need? I’ve heard it’s a lot of work but if I can find the parts from a part out explorer at a good price I’m willing to put in the time…

You would need the HVAC unit in the driver side rear pillar, the wiring for it, the heater hoses, the heater core diversion valve that splits coolant between front and rear, A/C distribution blocks that split the refrigerant lines to front and rear, the A/C lines themselves, the control unit in the dash, and then program the modules to make it work. The easiest way would probably be buy a wrecked Explorer or find one at a U-pull-it yard so you can remove everything you need and see how it is installed.

Back