Radio/Climate Control Unresponsive | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radio/Climate Control Unresponsive

Rezup

Reaction score
City, State
livonia mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer PIU(base)
Hey all,
Recently purchased a 2016 PIU Explorer and the center console radio/climate doesnt work. It will blast full heat from the front defroster but thats about it. I checked the fuses relevant to the panel and they are in good shape, i even was able to put a disc in and it started playing it. I have control on the steering wheel for the radio/cd but thats about it. I cracked open the panel to make sure it was connected, which it was. Oddly enough, the hazards button works (on the same panel as radio/climate) so that tells me that its deffinetly getting power, but for some reason none of the other buttons work. The button backlights will also not come on. Solutions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
If the setup in a PIU is the same as the retail Explorer, I would guess that perhaps your APIM (Accessory Protocol Interface Module) is the culprit.
It is the 'brains' behind MyFord Touch.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
If the setup in a PIU is the same as the retail Explorer, I would guess that perhaps your APIM (Accessory Protocol Interface Module) is the culprit.
It is the 'brains' behind MyFord Touch.

Peter
Its the equivalent to the base trim, non touch screen just a little display. Im not sure if its called MyFordTouch but if thats the case, can i change it with Forscan?

Its the equivalent to the base trim, non touch screen just a little display. Im not sure if its called MyFordTouch but if thats the case, can i change it with Forscan?
Could be a bad HVAC control module. If you have ForScan run a DTC check and see if you have any errors in the APIM and HVAC module.

Could be a bad HVAC control module. If you have ForScan run a DTC check and see if you have any errors in the APIM and HVAC module.
You may be correct. Without a touch screen, I don't know if the vehicle would even have an APIM. I must not have been at my best when replying to the issue.:(

Peter

You may be correct. Without a touch screen, I don't know if the vehicle would even have an APIM. I must not have been at my best when replying to the issue.:(

Peter
Peter, the 4.2 models (w/ sync) do indeed have an APIM sometimes it’ll be listed as “sync control module” or something to that effect when looking up the part #. So you were on the right track. I think a look at any DTCs in ForScan would give us an idea of where to look next to find the issue.

Im not really sure if I can trust it. My check engine light is on and when I did a scan there was just a million things that popped up saying something is wrong but when I go to check, theyre just fine. For example it said the battery voltage was at 9.6 or something but when i tested it with my multimeter, 12v. It also said other things that if they were a problem, i dont know how the car would even start. Im sure its scrambled since the police took a bunch of stuff out after service so is there a way to reset all the codes?

Back