2014 Sport steering clunk help please | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Sport steering clunk help please

ScootsEsport

Reaction score
City, State
FLORIDA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
Hello All, this is my first post and hope you guys can help. I recently bought a 2014 sport with a 87K. Great vehicle but it has developed a clunk felt in the steering wheel when parked or operating at slow speed. It feels like it is slipping Or developed play overnight. It happens with slight movement back-and-forth. With my head under the car I hear it and I can feel it through both steering arms. I’m suspecting sway bars worn out or some other bushing(s) or worst case scenario electric steering assembly (but it works well turning vehicle) . Your experience/suggestions would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have had this problem before on another vehicle of mine and the problem was loose R&P mount bolts, not loose, but not tight enough to keep the bolts from shifting in the hole when load was applied when turning the steering wheel or going over curbs and such. I am not saying this is your problem, but it is something you can easily check.

Sway bar links?

Can you describe the noise youre hearing? Also is it more of a grinding or clunking feeling when you turn the wheel at a stop?

Hello All, this is my first post and hope you guys can help. I recently bought a 2014 sport with a 87K. Great vehicle but it has developed a clunk felt in the steering wheel when parked or operating at slow speed. It feels like it is slipping Or developed play overnight. It happens with slight movement back-and-forth. With my head under the car I hear it and I can feel it through both steering arms. I’m suspecting sway bars worn out or some other bushing(s) or worst case scenario electric steering assembly (but it works well turning vehicle) . Your experience/suggestions would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Using the 'Search' feature in the upper right, I found several threads on front end "clunks". Here is one of them; Front suspension / clunk problem

Peter

When you say you can feel it in parked, do you mean the EX is still running and you are turning the steering wheel left to right and the sound is present?
I would also check the stabilizer end links, which is very easy to replace.

Thanks Everyone for your input. The clunk is only heard when the car is running. When it is off I wiggle the wheel and everything feels tight. There is no grinding or any other issue except for the clunk when moving the wheel back-and-forth slightly. Like it has a little bit of play. The rack and Pinion seems to work properly and no other issues. I am thinking to replace the sway bar links first since that seems to be relatively inexpensive and not too much work.

Sway bar links wont make a sound when standing still. Mine were lightly banging when moving due to the body flex.

Could be strut tower/brace as well that are going. That could cause movement when turning the wheel and creating a thud type sound.

Could be strut mounts,tie rod ends, ball joints,......

Great input. I will work on it and let you guys know. Thanks

Any update?

Back