How do you install a Flushing-T on a 5.0? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do you install a Flushing-T on a 5.0?

beach

Reaction score
City, State
south florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
Coyote F150
Haynes manual no help, and neither is the F-T instructions. I'm looking at our other vehicles and it would be no problem with the heater hoses straight and easily followed. The picture in Haynes is for the V6. On the 5.0 the two heater core hoses are both curved and down at the rear. How do you install a Flushing-T on this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just can't see how it will fit the heater inlet hose, its too curved at an angle, seems theres one really small section that it may fit but I'm not sure. Anyone install one on a 5.0 and have any tips or pics? The V6 and heck other cars are no problems as the hoses come out straight. Want to back-flush it.

I just can't see how it will fit the heater inlet hose, its too curved at an angle, seems theres one really small section that it may fit but I'm not sure. Anyone install one on a 5.0 and have any tips or pics? The V6 and heck other cars are no problems as the hoses come out straight. Want to back-flush it.

An alternative is a garden hose male quick connect or fitting that will fit on the heater hose. Just remove both or one hose from the engine, and flush with moderate pressure in each direction. You may need a clamp. Then connect the hoses back. Do not use too much pressure when flushing the heater core.

I don't like the Tee because there is a chance it could leak.

Can't you just take two lines off the heater control valve and temporarily bypass it?

On a V6 Explorer the hoses come out straight which the Flushing-Tee connects to easily. But on the 5.0: , it should go on the inlet hose but its curved like a ****
DSC01119.jpg

DSC01118-1.jpg

You could disconnect one of those hoses from the heater core, install a tee, and add a small piece of hose back onto the heater core.
was thinking of that, seems to be the only way. The one on the right when looking at the pics is the inlet hose correct? It says IN on it but wanted to make sure as its not listed in haynes which is which.

Is this the one next to the hose with the heater control valve? The valve controls the flow going into the heater core, so I would think that it's the other one. Trace the hose routing to be sure.

When you look at those pics, it should be the one on the right? It says install in the heater inlet hose. Haynes doesn't list which is which though and doesn't say anything about the control valve unless I missed it. Its storming though right now so I can't get a good look, the hoses attach somewhere behind the engine you can barely reach too.

Gotta run out and grab some extra hose, and finally tracked down a Motorad Fail Safe T-Stat, damn those are a ***** to find. Bennet Auto finally tracked a 195 degree FS in their warehouse, only 1 left. Other places Motorad said that carried them didn't know what I was talking about "fail safe" :rolleyes: , kept telling me they were only regular ones.

Haynes manual no help, and neither is the F-T instructions. I'm looking at our other vehicles and it would be no problem with the heater hoses straight and easily followed. The picture in Haynes is for the V6. On the 5.0 the two heater core hoses are both curved and down at the rear. How do you install a Flushing-T on this?

I've been doing a search on this thread since I need to flush my 96 5.0 liter. I have the same question. Where to put the tee.

I'm using my 68 Fairlane 302 for comparison.

If you follow the fitting coming out of the intake manifold, just behind the snorkel you can see the cap of the flush tee.

68ford8.jpg

On the Explorer it appears the hose with the heater valve connects to a pipe that runs to the water pump and is connected with those two short curved hoses.

So the flush tee would need to go in hose without the heater valve. But as mentioned it's got some curves in it.

Since the Fairlane has no heater valve but rather a flap that diverts cold air from the passenger cowl vent, it probably doesn't matter on the Explorer either where the flush tee goes. So the heater valve can be removed and a flush tee is installed temporarily.

The only thing I don't like about doing this is I remove the cap off the flush tee when refilling the radiator to purge any air out of the system. This at least helps. So when putting the valve back in some coolant maybe lost.

Although I generally mix antifreeze in a bucket to get a 50/50 mixture, keep in mind that even if you drain the radiator there is still coolant left in the block so adding 50/50 will throw the mixture off. I generally add half that in antifreeze then top off the rest with water. So since the 5.0 Explorer uses 13 quarts you would need to add 6-7 quarts of antifreeze.

There was mention about using CLR as a cleaning agent harming alumnium. I suppose if you left the stuff in the engine overnight it might cause harm but I don't see how it could do any damage just from doing a general flushing. That stuff Prestone sells is probably the same stuff anyway.

One more thing the Chilton's manual says there is a drain **** on the passenger side but I haven't found one. Maybe that's just a generic photo.

Here's a neat funnel I use on my other cars:

LIS-24610.jpg

I usually do the opposite when i flush

I fill the system with water then run the system till it warms up and goes through the entire system. then repeat

then when I empty I add one jug of 50/50 then the remainder in concentrate, run the system to mix it up, then check my levels and adjust

I removed the heater valve and installed the T in there. On my explorer the line with the heater valve goes to the intake manifold and the line without the heater valve goes to the water pump. What I am gathering from this thread is that my lines are hooked up backwards? lol Does this create any problems for heat/AC performance?

I remember this thread lol, I installed it on the drivers side line, the one near that bolt coming out of the heater core. Was a ***** as that line had barely any room to work with, I got some extra hose and cut to a fit length.

Just took a pic with my iPhone:
f3c3c836.jpg

Back