1994 explorer suspension lift question. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1994 explorer suspension lift question.

Spicycook

Reaction score
City, State
Kennesaw ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 limited
So I picked up a 94 explorer with 210k miles before I deployed for cheap. Since I've gotten back I've replaced the rotors, brakes,and shocks all at stock level. I've been toying with modding it out and then found this forum.

Now to my question, my leaf springs are shot.
1yMmm.jpg

NLF9u.jpg

So I want to replace them and the coils all at once. I wanted to do a 2 inch suspension lift as well. What would be the best plan of action?

Edit for pics.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I picked up a 94 explorer with 210k miles before I deployed for cheap. Since I've gotten back I've replaced the rotors, brakes,and shocks all at stock level. I've been toying with modding it out and then found this forum.

Now to my question, my leaf springs are flat. I could most likely use them to level a deck. So I want to replace them and the coils all at once. I wanted to do a 2 inch suspension lift as well. What would be the best plan of action?

i bought some 2 inch sky jacker coils that i love and are waiting for some one to reply to my thread im gonna make some rear lift shackles. went on a little off roaring trip today... took the sway bar off and i had a ton of flex it was awesome
:thumbsup:

Best course of action depends on how much you want to spend and how much work / fabrication you're willing to do.

Really cheap route: Junkyard springs that are in better condition, shackle lift, and F150 coil seats.

Slightly cheap route: F150 springs in the rear and fabricate your own spacer lift for the front.

"I have cash to blow" route: Skyjacker 2" lift

Personally, I fabricated my own spacer lift on the front and went with shackles in the rear. A writeup of my endeavor is right here. I fabricated my own because I didn't want to run polyurethane or rubber spacers on the front. Also, my rear springs were in pretty good condition so I gained right under 2" on all 4 corners and I run 31's with no problems.

Best course of action depends on how much you want to spend and how much work / fabrication you're willing to do.

Really cheap route: Junkyard springs that are in better condition, shackle lift, and F150 coil seats.

Slightly cheap route: F150 springs in the rear and fabricate your own spacer lift for the front.

"I have cash to blow" route: Skyjacker 2" lift

Personally, I fabricated my own spacer lift on the front and went with shackles in the rear. A writeup of my endeavor is right here. I fabricated my own because I didn't want to run polyurethane or rubber spacers on the front. Also, my rear springs were in pretty good condition so I gained right under 2" on all 4 corners and I run 31's with no problems.

Thanks i'll take a look at your thread. I also found this thread as well.But from all the available info I think I'm gonna go with the slightly cheap route.

I have thought about some kind of lift, but I really haven't decided what yet. I know I don't want it too high, maybe just 2 and 2 body and suspension. I was thinking about F150 coil seats and springs possibly some other stuff too, but my question was how much lift would I get if I did a SOA with the 150 springs?

Found a pair of leaf springs for 65$ off an 1990 f150 with a 4 leaf 3800lb rear gawr setup. They were muddy and had a little surface rust. Broke them down, hosed them off and got them all cleaned.

H112L.jpg

f-150 spring

VqXuO.jpg

cleaned

I have thought about some kind of lift, but I really haven't decided what yet. I know I don't want it too high, maybe just 2 and 2 body and suspension. I was thinking about F150 coil seats and springs possibly some other stuff too, but my question was how much lift would I get if I did a SOA with the 150 springs?

SOA with the stock Explorer spring pack can range from 4" - 6" depending on how worn out the stock pack is. Around 5" is the most common for a SOA. Add in another 1.5" - 2.5" from the F150 springs and you'd probably net a total of roughly 7" of lift on the rear. To get the front up that high to match, you're looking at spending some serious cash to match up with the rear.

The rain killed my plan to get the rear done today. But I got the stock leaf springs off and in the garage before it started to rain.

plUol.jpg

0WBMM.jpg

2.5 inch difference between the old leaf spring and modified version. Handling feels a lot better now.

iSdih.jpg

tWF03.jpg

S92eM.jpg

Before

LdwZT.jpg

After

So did u just get f 150 coils? I'm just wondering cause I rather do this then shackles...

So did u just get f 150 coils? I'm just wondering cause I rather do this then shackles...

Just the f150 leaf springs, I was able to find some coils that are 2 inches longer so once I get those I'll put them on and add pics.

Did you do a SOA with the new springs? Or did you put them back under like they were?

No, I decided against that at this time. I'll be upgrading my rear end to a 4.10 off a newer explorer in September. I'll also be adding new shackles at that time. If my estimation is right should show about a 4 inch difference from what I had before.

Forgot to upload the front end pics. I also ended up painting my pimp red door.

2dmup.jpg

before

LdwZT.jpg

after

hVNih.jpg

I did notice a small issue when I set it on the ground again. It had a nice little angle to the tire. Had to go back in and fiddle with it a bit to get it sitting right.

PC768.jpg

qJ2sm.jpg

Need to get an alignment soon then I'll be ready to move on to my next set of mods.

Looking at the differences from before and now I'm showing a 4 inch lift this isn't adding up to me at all. My only conclusion is that my suspension was just that ****ty.

You are going to need new longer shocks.

You are going to need new longer shocks.

I've actually been finding conflicting info on this. Some are saying you don't need longer shocks on a two inch lift others are saying you do.

I wanted new shocks any way but trying to decide on a longer shock or not has been the real issue.

When we did our James Duff 2.5" lift we needed new Front shocks, but we ran the old rear shocks for a while. They were shorter than we wanted (limited droop) but for normal driving they were fine.

~Mark

Just the f150 leaf springs, I was able to find some coils that are 2 inches longer so once I get those I'll put them on and add pics.

So what were the coils from?

I'd hate to see how much difference I'd get "fixing" the sagging, and worn out stuff.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mark thanks for the clarification, this make me feel better about holding out till I get some other things handled before the shocks.

Coils I got from LBarr2002.

Back