• Register Today It's free!

2015 Explorer Brake Issue??

dbeatty65

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport
I bought a 2015 Ford Explorer Sport 4 days ago with 76,000 miles and all of a sudden when backing up seems to have a tire grab or a brake catching issue. Anyone know of this or experience it. It went through a 81 point inspection and everything was FINE. Seems sporadic but has me NERVOUS. Otherwise I LOVE it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tire grab? Does it take a few seconds after you hit the gas to actually go?
Yes it will grab...let go and grab again VERY odd. I thought maybe it was doing it due to the large angle of my driveway but did it on flat ground today also. Or a brake grab of some sort.

Weird. It sounded to me like it could have been describing the transmission problem I had. It wouldn't happen all the time, but a few times a week when trying to back out of my parking spot I would have to really give it some gas to "kick in" and make it go in reverse. If you think that sounds like the problem take it to a transmission shop and have them try it out and test it. I have had nothing but problems with the transmission in my 2016 XLT. I had the entire transmission replaced at 65K miles and it has been back in for further problems three more times since.

Could be the common problem of rusted and dragging rear brakes. Calibers rust, pads stick and rotors get messed up.
Easiest (cheapest) way to fix is a Powerstop rotor/pad kit and then have the calibers rebuilt when installing.

Fritz

Could be the common problem of rusted and dragging rear brakes. Calibers rust, pads stick and rotors get messed up.
Easiest (cheapest) way to fix is a Powerstop rotor/pad kit and then have the calibers rebuilt when installing.

Fritz
It passed all brake inspection with only % wear

It passed all brake inspection with only % wear
Did that inspection pull the brake pads out and inspect the calipers? I also wonder if something with the parking brake is malfunctioning causing this.

Also, is this with your wheel straight or fully turned?

Did that inspection pull the brake pads out and inspect the calipers? I also wonder if something with the parking brake is malfunctioning causing this.

Also, is this with your wheel straight or fully turned?
I was also think a parking brake issue...it happens on both Not 100% sure on inspection but supposedly was a 80 pt inspection.

I was also think a parking brake issue...it happens on both Not 100% sure on inspection but supposedly was a 80 pt inspection.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
If you received any kind of warranty when you bought it, why not go back and have them check it out or at least make a note of the issue?

Peter

If you received any kind of warranty when you bought it, why not go back and have them check it out or at least make a note of the issue?

Peter
I have a note into them

Weird. It sounded to me like it could have been describing the transmission problem I had. It wouldn't happen all the time, but a few times a week when trying to back out of my parking spot I would have to really give it some gas to "kick in" and make it go in reverse. If you think that sounds like the problem take it to a transmission shop and have them try it out and test it. I have had nothing but problems with the transmission in my 2016 XLT. I had the entire transmission replaced at 65K miles and it has been back in for further problems three more times since.

FIW on this forum the transmission has not been a common issue. The two biggest

Peter
this does sound like parking brake issue as it occurs only when backing up.

I would have said parking brake shoe, but this model uses the caliper for the parking brake. No inner shoe.

I’d bet either you have the parking brake on :). Or a sticking parking brake cable.

And rusted rotors could be it too. If the truck was sitting on the lot for a while it just might need to be driven to shake off all the spiders.

With all that said I’d just take it back and have them check if it’s a real dealer.

I try to get independent 3rd party to inspect. Some dealers are good, others not. People make mistakes at good dealers. Might want to take to 3rd party for advice.

I bought a 2015 Ford Explorer Sport 4 days ago with 76,000 miles and all of a sudden when backing up seems to have a tire grab or a brake catching issue. Anyone know of this or experience it. It went through a 81 point inspection and everything was FINE. Seems sporadic but has me NERVOUS. Otherwise I LOVE it.

Has it been an excessive amount of moisture and has the vehicle sat idle for more than about two-three days? Rust accumulates on the rotor surface and feels like it is grabbing. Commonly called Lot Rot, Normally either works itself out after a bit of driving and the rust gets baked off by the brake application. Normally, sometimes it may require a dealer visit they do the same thing, either "resurface the rotors or possibly remove and clean the pads. Depending on dealer equipment they have a machine that can move to the rotor. Raise the vehicle, remove tires, and they rotors machining is done in place. A secondary motor turns the rotor while the cutting bit removes very small increments of rotor surface to smooth out.

It could have passed the brake inspection, then sat for multiple days in the environmental conditions I described. 76K might be questionable though for pads and rotors. Even if they are original from factory 76K is a lot for rotors and pads. Passed and Workable are two different terms. Was it CPO Ford Dealer or another third party dealer? I would ask if they could show proof that rotors and pads were replaced. Check CARFAX if they didn't offer one then check another source even if you have to pay. Most dealers self report major safety items and last time I checked Brakes were in that category.

I don't know if the driveshafts are the same as my 07 Spot Trac but mine acted similarly to what you are experiencing. It was the bushing around the carrier bearing letting the driveshaft shift 2 to three inches. This would give me a jarring "CLUNK" when backing up my driveway.

Back