2015 Explorer Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2015 Explorer Sport

dttajh4

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 explorer sport
Just purchased a new 2015 Explorer Sport for my wife. This vehicle has some serious over-steer when passing another vehicle on a 2-lane road. Is this normal? Really disappointed with how this thing handles. Love everything else about it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum.

I moved your thread into our Stock 2011 - 2016 subforum where the right folks should see it.

Yeah, handling sucks at highway speed. Get her a 15 Roush RS3 and that should all be taken care of.

Just purchased a new 2015 Explorer Sport for my wife. This vehicle has some serious over-steer when passing another vehicle on a 2-lane road. Is this normal? Really disappointed with how this thing handles. Love everything else about it.

When you say "oversteer" do you mean "torque steer"?

I noticed that day one. It needs speed sensitive steering. This is the first new truck I've had in a while with out.

I noticed that day one. It needs speed sensitive steering. This is the first new truck I've had in a while with out.

I think you mean torque steer (wheel pulls or jerks on sudden acceleration) because EPAS steering is speed sensitive.

When parking its easy to move the wheel when at highway speed its much more solid "on center" feel.

I spent several days assisting the engineering team fine tuning the Police Interceptor setup on the police EPAS system so its there.

The SPORT has its own unique EPAS/AWD calibration, different from the other models.

I think you mean torque steer (wheel pulls or jerks on sudden acceleration) because EPAS steering is speed sensitive.

When parking its easy to move the wheel when at highway speed its much more solid "on center" feel.

I spent several days assisting the engineering team fine tuning the Police Interceptor setup on the police EPAS system so its there.

The SPORT has its own unique EPAS/AWD calibration, different from the other models.

I guess to put it layman terms sgt, the faster you go, the stiffer the steering gets. My EX doesn't seem to have that.

I had a cts ltd and it did just that the faster the stiffer it got....that is typical on the sport explorer.

I haven't experienced this at all. And I'm quite the spirited, pass-'em-if-you-got 'em kinda guy.

Tony

^^ I also have yet to experience it.

Peter

"Oversteer" is the classic fish-tailing effect, where rear tires brake loose - e.g., "drifting." I've never come even remotely close to that in my Sport.

If you meant torque steer - if you completely whale off on the accelerator from a dead stop in Sand mode, in a narrow alley or down a narrow street with cars parked all along both sides, you'll scare yourself with the torque steer. However, passing someone on the highway from say 55 mph to 75+, not so much.

my sentiments, exactly..

Noticed the same oversteer with our new 15 Sport while trying to pass another vehicle on a two-lane road. Pulled out, gunned it, the car decided to dart into the oncoming lane, almost ending up off road. Tried to correct this, and almost sideswiped the car I was passing. Corrected again to prevent an accident, and it appeared as if the car wobbled back and forth for a few seconds or so until I was finally able to steady it. Coming out of an ML550, a very discerning experience.

agreed that that sounds like torque steer. In layman's terms, oversteer is when the car is yawing into a turn sharper from the rear end beginning to lose grip. We haven't experienced that in our 2015 sport. I'm somewhat familiar with torque steer because I drive a focus ST :D and what mlconvert15 stated is exactly the circumstances and behavior of torque steer.

Honestly, i used to have torque steer when i first got my 15 xsport.
but since i expect it whenever i have to pass someone on the highway i have much better control.
since then i rarely notice it anymore but thats just me.

Here is what I do, tap the left paddle to downshift (usually twice 6th to 4th) to bring up the revs (and boost) and gradually make my pass. You do not even need to shift to M to do this.

Side note...I notice people usually follow much to closely when wanting to pass. I find tailgating never results in the other driver waking up and picking up the pace. I leave several car lengths, so I can see clear around the slow poke. If you are too close, you are forced to floor it and rapidly change lanes, creating unsafe and unpredictable driving situations.

I guess to put it layman terms sgt, the faster you go, the stiffer the steering gets. My EX doesn't seem to have that.
Yes, it’s torque steer I’ve heard of. Is there a fix for it?

Thanks gang; I’m new here and just figuring out the whole forum thing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back