2015 Explorer - P0017/P0012 - stalling troubleshoot | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2015 Explorer - P0017/P0012 - stalling troubleshoot

lucky644

Reaction score
City, State
Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer LTD.
I have a 2015 Ford Explorer /w the 3.5l Ti-VCT at 230,000KM that I bought used, so I am not sure what past work has been done on it apart from what I've done myself.

It's currently stalling sometimes when it's warmed up, I'd had it stall out while slowing down and stall while sitting idle in drive on the brake.

It finally threw a check engine light, the codes were P0017 and P0012. What I'm not sure about is whether these codes are a symptom of the stalling, or they are the root cause of the stalling.

I've done some searching, but I haven't found anything concrete. I'm trying to figure out where to start looking.

Should I try replacing the camshaft timing sensor? Could it be something fuel-related and it's running lean and stalling and thus causing the codes?

I have access to forscan, and I noticed the long-term fuel trim are +12FT1 and +16FT2 while idling. Short term fuel trim seem to bounce around a lot but generally stay over +5.

If anyone has any advice on what to look at or maybe what to check with forscan it would be much appreciated, thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had to T/S a stalling problem on a grand cherokee. Changed a lot of stuff including the cam position center but it turned out to be the ECM. YMMV.

You can start here: Explorer Archives

So the shop told us it was a stretched timing chain.

They did the repair and said it got 2 teeth off timing.

However, it’s still stalling when idle or reversing.

They did everything, timing chain and guides, solenoids, phasers, water pump etc. Everything.

Any idea why it could still be stalling?

Seems like if your timing chain jumped two links, you'd have had more indication of a rough running engine. Odd.

If you're not going to look at the ecm, then you could check the throttle position sensor and clean the intake. Clean the MAF while you're there.

You could have an issue with the torque converter (maybe) or a clutch in your transmission. 230k km is a lot on a transmission. I rebuilt mine at 160k miles (260k km). Mine had no issue with the torque converter but the clutches in the trans were end of life.

You could change the cam position sensor and you could look at the crank position sensor (unlikely).

Other items: Coil packs and plugs. Fuel injectors. (but unlikely).

Like I said earlier, I tried a lot of things...

Very long story short, it’s back in the shop, the bottom end is screwed. New engine coming.

Unknown cause, possible oil starvation issue, they think something got clogged up.

It’s bad enough to just replace and not bother spending the time to diagnose it.

Back