• Register Today It's free!

2015 Explorer Sport Stalled

joshua5438

Reaction score
City, State
Easley, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Sport
I have a 2015 Explorer Sport that recently stalled in stop and go traffic. It has been idling a little rough for about a month and then I got a check engine light. Took it to a shop and was told it was the spark plugs. The code was gone but it did have a few codes pending. I had the spark plugs replaced about 4 months prior, so unless one was faulty, that is unlikely my issue. This past week I was on a 15 hour trip. About 11 hours in, traffic came to a crawl. I had been in the traffic for about 20 minutes when the cars idle dropped to about 400rpms and sounded like it was running on four cylinders. I pressed the gas to move to the shoulder of the road and it would not respond to the gas being pressed. Shut the car off, raised the hood, nothing visible going wrong. I attempted to restart but it would only turn over with no crank. I wiggled all the exposed electrical connections to make sure nothing was loose. The car sat for about 5 minutes, then started up and ran as it was before. Still a little rough at idle but when moving it runs like it should. I am looking for any insight as to what it could possibly be. I will list out below the events and codes as I have gotten them.

-Started to idle rough for about a month
-Check engine light came on with P0174 code and a pending P0171 code
-Shopped looked at it and said the check engine light was not on and they think it is the plugs (plugs had been replaced 4 months prior with no issues)
-One month after check engine light the car stalled in stop and go traffic
-No check engine light but it does have a pending P0087 code
-Car started and ran as it was before stalling

I finished the trip, then a week later made the trip back home with no issues. Car still runs rough at idle but fine when moving.

Found these with the 'Search' feature. Not sure if helpful.

Peter

Back