• Register Today It's free!

2015 Explorer Suspension Issue

Heimy4

Reaction score
City, State
St. Peters, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
2015 Ford Explorer Sport suspension troubleshooting. I have replaced the struts and stabilize bars but I still feel a knocking on the floor board and through the pedal when I go overs small cracks and bumps. The suspension feels loose over quick rapid bumps, feels perfect on deep hard bumps. Any ideas what causes this feeling? It used to be tight and smooth. I have @80k miles on it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2015 Ford Explorer Sport suspension troubleshooting. I have replaced the struts and stabilize bars but I still feel a knocking on the floor board and through the pedal when I go overs small cracks and bumps. The suspension feels loose over quick rapid bumps, feels perfect on deep hard bumps. Any ideas what causes this feeling? It used to be tight and smooth. I have @80k miles on it.
Sway bar links. You mentioned sway bar but not links so not sure.
Strut mounts
Control arms and bushings

Never know could be defective parts as well.

My next options are the sway bar links and Control arm bushing. I just feel the rattle of small bumps through the peddle and nothing looks loose. I replaced the entire strut assembly, so the mounts and all are new

Engine mount??

My next options are the sway bar links and Control arm bushing. I just feel the rattle of small bumps through the peddle and nothing looks loose. I replaced the entire strut assembly, so the mounts and all are new
I'd check with a mechanic.

Don't just replace bushing on control arm if determined to be faulty. Replace whole arm. Only buy motorcraft parts. Learned my lesson over the years with cheap junk.

I'd check with a mechanic.

Don't just replace bushing on control arm if determined to be faulty. Replace whole arm. Only buy motorcraft parts. Learned my lesson over the years with cheap junk.
Thanks! I thought about just replacing the bushings but I’d have to agree it’s probably smarter to replace the whole arm.

High likelihood that it's the control arm bushing. The rear bushing in the front control arms.
I had pretty much identical symptoms. Knocking on floor board at 'parking lot' speeds but nothing at higher speeds.
I replaced the sway bar link, which didn't help.

Went ahead and replaced the front control arms (Motorcraft) and noise went away. Nice to have new bushings and ball joints with full control arms.
In my case, I couldn't get the ball joint nut off all the way (I tried everything) so I had to cut the stud off. There was no way I could have replaced just the bushing since I couldn't get the control arm out without hacking the ball joint.

This was around 90k miles and so far the noise hasn't returned (all of 5k miles since replacement).

High likelihood that it's the control arm bushing. The rear bushing in the front control arms.
I had pretty much identical symptoms. Knocking on floor board at 'parking lot' speeds but nothing at higher speeds.
I replaced the sway bar link, which didn't help.

Went ahead and replaced the front control arms (Motorcraft) and noise went away. Nice to have new bushings and ball joints with full control arms.
In my case, I couldn't get the ball joint nut off all the way (I tried everything) so I had to cut the stud off. There was no way I could have replaced just the bushing since I couldn't get the control arm out without hacking the ball joint.

This was around 90k miles and so far the noise hasn't returned (all of 5k miles since replacement).
The Control Arms were my next attack, being around $160 a piece I’ve been injuring just in case. I can feel the smallest cracks and bumps in the floor board and peddle. Is not making any noise, just a feeling. Is almost like there is a slight jiggle and knock feel. Nothing looks wore out and mechanic said all the ball joints are good.

Back