2016 - 2018 Explorer Headlight Question | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 - 2018 Explorer Headlight Question

it seems that those that have made the switch to LED high beams are satisfied............my questions is how can all of the different colors be a match to the low beams? How can the 5000k, & 6000k & 6500k all match the low beams......would the different k valve cause them to be a different color?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it seems that those that have made the switch to LED high beams are satisfied............my questions is how can all of the different colors be a match to the low beams? How can the 5000k, & 6000k & 6500k all match the low beams......would the different k valve cause them to be a different color?
The satisfaction may have ore to do with the output and a closer match to the low beams. There is a slight colour difference but not much in the range you listed. I'm guessing the LED is much like HID in that respect.
https://ca.images.search.yahoo.com/...ght+colors&hspart=rogers&hsimp=yhs-rogers_001

Peter

It's not an exact match, but it sure beats the haolgens.
With the exception of the highs (my large hands can't seem to get them installed and I'll have to wait until the weather is warmer); all exterior halogens have now been replaced with LEDs.

For those of you that slipped the ballast inside the headlight assembly, two questions. 1) Is it unsightly when viewing the headlamp with the light turned off? and 2) did you secure the ballast in any way or is it just loose inside the assembly and free to bounce around? Thanks

For those of you that slipped the ballast inside the headlight assembly, two questions. 1) Is it unsightly when viewing the headlamp with the light turned off? and 2) did you secure the ballast in any way or is it just loose inside the assembly and free to bounce around? Thanks

The ballast is not viewable, as the bulb is screwed and sealed through the headlight socket.

It was just a bulb swap. They appear to add some light when in use but the main advantage is the color match to the low beam headlights. As mentioned, if they don't work, flip the plug around. Let us know what you think!
Were you able to get the dust cover back on? I noticed that there is not much room from the housing to the dust cover.

Were you able to get the dust cover back on? I noticed that there is not much room from the housing to the dust cover.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I asked the same question of another member and still waiting for reply.

Peter

I installed a few leds in my 2017 Explorer Platinum this week and wanted to share my experience. I felt like the high beams on my old 2012 Honda Pilot were much brighter which is one of the reasons I did the upgrade. I ended up doing a bunch of bulbs to get everything to match nicely.

I picked up these for my high beams. They looked like the exact same ones that juanyunis recommended and didn't have to be shipped from China. If you look at the ebay link he posted, you'll see that the actually bulbs look identical. They were fairly easy to install, just hard getting your hands in there to twist the bulbs into place. I did cut a small rectangle out of the dust cap to allow the heat sinks through. There looked to be small rubber dust caps that came with the bulbs (and already had the cutout) so just used them as a template. I may have been able to stuff the heat sink behind the dust cap but I wanted to be safe and not have any heat related issues down the road. Of course it was really foggy the day I installed so I didn't really get to test them out until today. I can say that they are extremely bright and project very far down the road. They also match the normal headlights very close if not perfectly.

I picked up these puddle lights that juanyunis recommended. They were very easy to install and look great. Hardest part for me was removing the old ones but it was easy once I figured it out. I also installed the led license plate bulbs that came in the box. These looked nice as well but caused interference on my backup camera. There were horizontal wavy lines on the bottom half of the camera. I ended up putting the stock ones back in for now and the camera is back to normal. I'll be looking for some new ones since they stick out like a sore thumb.

Finally I picked up these reverse leds that juanyunis recommended. They were also easy to install. They look nice and bright and match the headlights nicely. I'll need to use them a bit more to see how much of an improvement they actually make. I did notice that there is a nice bright big circle in the middle of the backup camera which wasn't there with the stock bulbs (probably from being much brighter).

Has anyone found any good license plate leds that don't cause interference on the backup camera?

Does anyone know what diameter the dust covers are? I've found that you can get extended covers to accommodate the extended LED's. Ford does not state what the size is. I can't seem to find info anywhere.

I have the exact same bulb, but gave up for now (winter time) and will try again in the summer; as my large hands had no room to securely twist and lock the bulb in place.
I like your idea of passing the heat dissipation foils out through the dust cap,

In regards to the ballast and connector, did you just leave them hanging inside?

I have the exact same bulb, but gave up for now (winter time) and will try again in the summer; as my large hands had no room to securely twist and lock the bulb in place.
I like your idea of passing the heat dissipation foils out through the dust cap,

In regards to the ballast and connector, did you just leave them hanging inside?

I did push them in next to the bulb. They fit there nice and snug so I'm not worried about them.

Btw, I did end up using a pair of channellock pliers to help twist the bulb into place since my hands were too big. Made the job much easier. The second one actually only took me a couple minutes after learning from the first. I also made sure the leds on the bulb were horizontal like recommended by others in the forum.

Sorry for the delay, the dust cap had to be slightly slit to re-fit and before I did have them about 98% on.

I just wanted to follow up with my high beams since I was able to test them out last night when it was nice and clear out. I can now honestly say they are nice and bright and a big improvement over stock. They also match the low beams perfectly. I tried taken a few pictures with them on and off, on a dark road, to try to show them as best I can. Even made an animated gif :). The road is a bit narrow but you get the idea.

High%20beam%20test.gif

I just wanted to follow up with my high beams since I was able to test them out last night when it was nice and out clear. I can now honestly say they are nice and bright and a big improvement over stock. They also match the low beams perfectly. I tried taken a few pictures with them on and off, on a dark road, to try to show them as best I can. Even made an animated gif :). The road is a bit narrow but you get the idea.
Very nice. First such animated post I recall seeing here. Time to update profile I think with your Explorer.

Peter

Yes, with the bulbs that I used I was able to fit the ballast in the housing and replace the rubber cover on the rear of the light. I did not have to make any modifications to the rubber cap.

is there a consensus for bulbs that the dust covers fit & those that require the dust cover to be altered? also, which color did most folks use........6000k or 6500k or can both match the oem low beams & fog lights? I want to swap these out in the spring (don't have a heated garage to work in) along with the puddle lights. Already changed the license plate & back up lights to led and pretty satisfied

For those who made a slit in their dust cover have you had any problems with moisture/condensation in your headlamp assembly? I was looking today and it appears you can see down towards the bottom of the assembly? Also, anyone have problems with the bulbs burning out because the dust cover was on, almost all of the LED's say that you aren't supposed to reinstall it because it will get too hot and potentially burn out sooner than it should.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For those who made a slit in their dust cover have you had any problems with moisture/condensation in your headlamp assembly? I was looking today and it appears you can see down towards the bottom of the assembly? Also, anyone have problems with the bulbs burning out because the dust cover was on, almost all of the LED's say that you aren't supposed to reinstall it because it will get too hot and potentially burn out sooner than it should.

There's an additional seal between light bulb socket and lens, so there should be no issues with a slit in the dust cap; or completely removing it.

Back