2016 Ford Explorer PTU Drain Plug Size | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Ford Explorer PTU Drain Plug Size

LCARRETE83

Reaction score
City, State
Gardner, Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer Base
Hi
We just bought a 2016 Ford Explorer two weeks ago. It has the 2.3 ecoboost engine with 4wd. I would like to know the drain plug size on the PTU. I tried using the Torx T-50 but it was loose. I don't want to strip the plug. I'm going to drain out the fluid and refill it with new Motorcraft fluid. The Explorer currently has 45,000 miles and I'm changing the fluid as preventive maintenance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Hi
We just bought a 2016 Ford Explorer two weeks ago. It has the 2.3 ecoboost engine with 4wd. I would like to know the drain plug size on the PTU. I tried using the Torx T-50 but it was loose. I don't want to strip the plug. I'm going to drain out the fluid and refill it with new Motorcraft fluid. The Explorer currently has 45,000 miles and I'm changing the fluid as preventive maintenance.

I have a 2017 2.3 EB and my drain and fill plug on the PTU is a T-50, which my mechanic used while I watched. Perhaps some one tried draining it previously and used the wrong size or wrong tool to try to open it. Try a slightly larger Torx plug. If you manage to get it off buy the correct plugs for the drain and fill, in case they've been buggered up, for the PTU. Good luck!

Whimsey

I have a 2017 2.3 EB and my drain and fill plug on the PTU is a T-50, which my mechanic used while I watched. Perhaps some one tried draining it previously and used the wrong size or wrong tool to try to open it. Try a slightly larger Torx plug. If you manage to get it off buy the correct plugs for the drain and fill, in case they've been buggered up, for the PTU. Good luck!

Whimsey
I have another question. Did your mechanic put Teflon tape on the drain plug that goes on the PTU?

I have another question. Did your mechanic put Teflon tape on the drain plug that goes on the PTU?
Not sure how hot the PTU gets but teflon tape is good to 500 C.

Peter

While the Chilton manual says to use thread sealer on the fill and drain plug of the PTU there was no evidence of any factory use on the threads of my plugs. My mechanic said he's never seen any on these threads. He said if they leaked he redo using thread dope at his expense, after 15,000 miles no leaks so far. But it won't hurt to do it if you're doing it yourself. I did use thread dope on the rear diff plug and the transmission plug as they are different style plugs and the factory used thread dope on these plugs. We are SOOO lucky to have easy to access PTU drain and fill plugs on our 2.3 EB's. Plus we have larger fluid capacity PTU's. And we don't have the exhaust running against the PTU's to heat the fluid even more than normal use. Use a real good synthetic 75W-140 and drain and fill it every 20,000-25,000 miles and you're good for long life for the PTU. Also do a drain and fill on the transmission every 25,000-30,000 miles and it'll survive a longer happier life. The best part of doing transmission drain and fills on our 2.3 EB's is it's easier than doing an oil and filter change. I change my transmission fluid cold into a measured bucket and refill with the exact amount drained. So far it's been just fine doing it that way. Good luck, if you have any questions let me know.

Whimsey

Back