2016+ Ford Explorer will be the redesign? | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016+ Ford Explorer will be the redesign?

Welcome to the Forum TheWombat.:wavey:
Re availability of the 2016, if they follow the same timetable as for the 2015 then you'd be looking at probably no earlier than mid to end of July 2015. I believe production of the 2015 began June 2nd this year.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lets hope the new 2016 will have these dynamic LED headlights.......

http://motrolix.com/2014/11/enthral...il&utm_term=0_74c392f506-82a280c5bc-363945409

Yeah. I wished they put this in the American Fusion. It's a joke to see an American company providing better options to other nations and not the U.S.
I doubt the new Explorer will have those. Mainly due to the fact that we have the Lincoln brand here. I think the Lincoln brand is dead and that they should just stop and work on the Ford product. Unless if sales for them would increase.

Yeah. I wished they put this in the American Fusion. It's a joke to see an American company providing better options to other nations and not the U.S.
I doubt the new Explorer will have those. Mainly due to the fact that we have the Lincoln brand here. I think the Lincoln brand is dead and that they should just stop and work on the Ford product. Unless if sales for them would increase.

Keep in mind that the DOT spec is typically quite conservative for beam cutoff and shape, in hope of avoiding blinding oncoming traffic. Several of the German manufacturers don't bring their higher-spec headlight designs here because doing so would exceed the allowable 'glare' and even allowable lumens to oncoming vehicles.

In another post I mentioned that Ford will sometimes introduce certain features on the European vehicles with the intent of then bringing them to North America. This was confirmed with the introduction of the Pre-Collision Assist with Pedestrian Detection system. See;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=416472

Peter

And dont forget say hello to LED lighting everywhere on the 16..............yahoo!

No more Halogen or HID

I have the new 2016 with the new headlights and I will say the lighting is EXCELLENT. We traded in a 2014 Taurus limited, car was nice, headlights on it however were beyond TERRIBLE. We live in rural Oklahoma and have many deer, so lighting was very critical for us. ( yes, I hit one). :eek:

I have the new 2016 with the new headlights and I will say the lighting is EXCELLENT. We traded in a 2014 Taurus limited, car was nice, headlights on it however were beyond TERRIBLE. We live in rural Oklahoma and have many deer, so lighting was very critical for us. ( yes, I hit one). :eek:

One thing I would like to know is why they updated everything to LED except the HIGH beams.....can LED not produce enough lumens for HIGH beams.

One thing I would like to know is why they updated everything to LED except the HIGH beams.....can LED not produce enough lumens for HIGH beams.

2015-Cadillac-Escalade-headlight-corner-ATC.png

Still trying to figure this one out. Seems there is no high beam bulb so they had to have figured something out. Still researching now..

Edited: Found this info on the cadillac website.

"Incorporate the industry’s first Total Internal Reflection (TIR) LED high-beam function, which consists of four vertically stacked crystal lenses and LEDs for a light pipe effect.

The low beam consists of five crystal lenses and LEDs that create the light pattern."

Each headlight is about $1,250 each..

2015-Cadillac-Escalade-headlight-corner-ATC.png

Still trying to figure this one out. Seems there is no high beam bulb so they had to have figured something out. Still researching now..

Edited: Found this info on the cadillac website.

"Incorporate the industry’s first Total Internal Reflection (TIR) LED high-beam function, which consists of four vertically stacked crystal lenses and LEDs for a light pipe effect.

The low beam consists of five crystal lenses and LEDs that create the light pattern."

Each headlight is about $1,250 each..

Still much cheaper than laser lights which are about 10000 each :)

SGT, I was told by the DEALER ( so take that with a grain of salt) that the halogen was the best choice for the high beams, lumens were not high enough for high beams. That was my big question when I first time saw that myself. Lol

Ya I have seen those Escalade headlights they are very impressive and that's what got me questioning why Ford decided to go Halogen for high beams. I wonder does the Lincoln 2016 & 2017 line up all have halogen high beams as well or are they transitioning over to that Cadillac style of multiple LED's?

Even when you look at the latest Honda's and Acura's their headlights look all LED.

I have driven a new PI Utility with the LED low beams and I have to say they are even better than the HID kit I have in my 14 Sport. Huge difference over the older stock halogen PI Utility lights.

It isn't as if Ford doesn't have the technology. The 2016 MKX has optional adaptive LED headlamps.

Peter

Attachments

• mkx16_feat_adapt_headlamps.jpg
    mkx16_feat_adapt_headlamps.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 285

The 2017 super duty has 2 separate LED bulbs, 1 for low and 1 for high beams. There are many options out there.. my guess is a cost savings factor. Vehicles go up every year in price.. maybe they just didn't want to jump the price all at once.

It isn't as if Ford doesn't have the technology. The 2016 MKX has optional adaptive LED headlamps.

Peter

That's the one I was thinking of...

Could have been availability vs. locking in changes for release. Agreed that it should have been full LED (including signals and reverse lamps too - I've changed mine over already -)

I thought it was said that the high beams were to be halogen so that the police could have their wig wags. You could potentially have wig wag with LEDs through pwm (pulse width modulation).

Also, I think they were trying to keep some variation from the Lincoln brand since full LED headlights are a luxury thing.

However, they don't have an Explorer equivalent in Lincoln, and the Lincoln MKT is a joke (ugly back) and OKAY front so they should just make the Platinum just as good as a top tier Lincoln.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

......Also, I think they were trying to keep some variation from the Lincoln brand since full LED headlights are a luxury thing..... and the Lincoln MKT is a joke (ugly back) and OKAY front so they should just make the Platinum just as good as a top tier Lincoln.
Careful with that.;) I'm just getting used to it myself after almost 2 years. The shape may not be to some peoples liking but the vehicle itself is far from "a joke". Great highway cruiser, lots of power, 3 driver adjustable comfort (suspension) settings and adaptive HID headlamps to list a few items. The full LED headlamps on the MKX is an option. It isn't standard.

Peter

Back