2016 Limited Explorer - Driver seat heater makes noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Limited Explorer - Driver seat heater makes noise

Pete Keough

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Limited Exploere
Dear Forum Folks,

Has anyone had the problem of their driver seat making noise (like leaking air) when turning in the seat heater? Any advice is welcomed.

Thanks,
Pete

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dear Forum Folks,

Has anyone had the problem of their driver seat making noise (like leaking air) when turning in the seat heater? Any advice is welcomed.

Thanks,
Pete

Do you have heated/cooled seats? If so, that's just the fan blowing the warm air into the seat from below. It's normal.

Ok, thank you for your response and help!

Much appreciated!
Pete

Ok, thank you for your response and help!

Much appreciated!
Pete
Welcome to the Forum Pete.:wave:
I don't believe that the fan making noise is normal. I've had the heated seats in my last 3 vehicles and never heard the fan. There is also some discussion as how the heated seat actually works. I believe it has a heating pad as some have mentioned and that the fan is only used for the cooling when it blows the cabin air into the cushion and seat back. I believe there is a mat as I just went out and turned the heated seat on and in less than a minute there was a heated spot in the center of the cushion. Putting my ear down in front of the seat, no fan noise was heard.
http://www.explorerforum.com/xenforo/index.php?threads/heated-front-seats.456605/#post-3591494

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for your input. I agree that the noise is not, nor should be, normal. I think we are going to take it to the dealership and have them take a look. God bless warranties!

Thanks again,
Pete

Just out of curiosity, I turned my heated seats on today and I could hear the fan kick on high for a second and then drop down to a slower speed and stayed on until I turned it off. Its done that as long as I can remember. It's 85F here today, but I seem to remember when it's cold out, the fan will stay on high when the seat setting is high. I don't think I'll get to find that out for a few more months when it cools down.

Just out of curiosity, I turned my heated seats on today and I could hear the fan kick on high for a second and then drop down to a slower speed and stayed on until I turned it off. Its done that as long as I can remember. It's 85F here today, but I seem to remember when it's cold out, the fan will stay on high when the seat setting is high. I don't think I'll get to find that out for a few more months when it cools down.
88 F here today and with the humidity it feels like 104. I was surprised the heated seat even worked at that temperature. Supposed to be warmer tomorrow. There have only been a few posts that I can recall about the "fan noise" so it doesn't appear to be much of an issue.

Peter

The fan does make sound with heat and a.c.. This style system is not a heating pad, it is a fan that blows the hot or cold air through the holes in the seats.

The fan does make sound with heat and a.c.. This style system is not a heating pad, it is a fan that blows the hot or cold air through the holes in the seats.
I can confirm that with mine there was definitely no air coming through the cushion at all on heat. Just a very warm area in the center of the cushion. If it was just a fan, where would the heat come from?

Peter

I can confirm that with mine there was definitely no air coming through the cushion at all on heat. Just a very warm area in the center of the cushion. If it was just a fan, where would the heat come from?

Peter

Our seats use a Peltier (spelling?) system. Here is a description of how it works.

In the CCS system, which is built around Amerigon's highly-efficient, solid-state thermoelectric device, air is forced through the heat pump and thermally conditioned in response to electronic switch input from the seat occupant. The conditioned air circulates by a specially designed fan through ducts in the seat cushion and seat back, resulting in a surface that can be heated or cooled. Each seat has individual electronic controls to adjust the level of heating or cooling.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...d-as-option-for-2013-ford-flex-142327545.html

Here is another article on how it works similar to the above

http://www.marlow.com/industries/automotive/seat-heating-cooling.html

As the individual controls the temperature selection switch, airflow is directed through a thermoelectric heat pump, which adjusts the temperature. A fan circulates the temperature-controlled air through a ducting system integrated into the seat back and cushion, offering custom comfort for each occupant of the vehicle.

I have heated/cooled seats and the noise is from the fans under the seats. That noise is normal.

I have heated/cooled seats and the noise is from the fans under the seats. That noise is normal.
As I've noted before, I have had 3 (Ford) vehicles with heated/cooled seats and have yet to hear any noise from the fans. And, yes, the heating/cooling works just fine.

Peter

I just tested my heating seat today (only driver side) see if it works. I didnt notice any noise. I dont think i have a cooling seat tho....i have to look more for that haha.

I just tested my heating seat today (only driver side) see if it works. I didnt notice any noise. I dont think i have a cooling seat tho....i have to look more for that haha.
If you have the cooled seats then there should be buttons/settings for that.

As I've noted before, I have had 3 (Ford) vehicles with heated/cooled seats and have yet to hear any noise from the fans. And, yes, the heating/cooling works just fine.

Peter

It was a little cooler this morning(~45F) and I had the heated driver seat on and I can confirm I hear a fan on when the seat heater is on.

Dear Forum Folks,

Thanks,
Pete
Pete, I’m with you! My 2018 Limited has heated/cooled seats and the driver’s seat is now making a noise on heat only and only that seat! Doesn’t make a noise on passenger side or when using cooling ! Sounds like a buzzing noise or if there is a fan, a fan motor that’s going bad ( bearings)! It only started a month ago, so it’s NOT normal!
Have you found a fix?

Pete, I’m with you! My 2018 Limited has heated/cooled seats and the driver’s seat is now making a noise on heat only and only that seat! Doesn’t make a noise on passenger side or when using cooling ! Sounds like a buzzing noise or if there is a fan, a fan motor that’s going bad ( bearings)! It only started a month ago, so it’s NOT normal!
Have you found a fix?
FYI, the member you quoted was last seen here on September 24, 2017, so likely not following any longer.
BTW, there is a fan.

Peter

Assuming a sleeve bearing fan, the fix is don't run it in this state, until you've had a chance to [try to] lube the bearings, or of course to replace the fan.

I've never seen this assembly so couldn't tell you if it takes [needs] a proprietary fan or if a standard form factor alternative would work.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back