2016 XLT with MyFord touch, upgrading to Sync 3 for CarPlay support | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 XLT with MyFord touch, upgrading to Sync 3 for CarPlay support

kennyrkun

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT, 3.5 NA
Hello friends,

I know this has been done to death but I'm not able to find enough information to make it all make sense to me. I've got a 2016 XLT with what I *think* is the 8" recessed touch screen. It has MyFord Touch and the version is "4.32.14073_PRODUCT", with factory navigation using an A6 card. I'm looking to upgrade to a Sync 3 unit also with navigation, but most importantly CarPlay capability.

I read in several places that 2016 Ford vehicles are supposed to support Sync 3, but I think they were referring to MyFord Touch Sync 3.

I've also heard that you have to replace/add a new GPS antenna, but I've also heard that it's compatible with the shark fin style antenna, which I do have. Does that mean I can use the already provided antenna instead of modifying/adding a new one?

Do I just need to replace the APIM, head unit, and USB hub?

I've heard of a fellow named Dan who runs sync3programming.com and SimplyMichigan are a good source of parts and programming, and it turns out that I can make what I want happen, those are the guys I'm gonna let make it happen.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Replace your apim, recessed screen, usb hub. Get Forscan to program apim. Purchase the files to program the apim with. Like Peter said, Dan will sell you the files( i purchased from him) he will give you instructions to program, using forscan. When you download forscan, pay the 10.00 for extended license. On their website, they will tell you what obdII adapter to use. Everything is straight forward. Remember, apim with navigation is going to be more expensive than non navigation apim. Cool thing is, with carplay, you dont need navigation. You cannot use the sync2 screen, apim or usb hub. Get the recessed screen, so brackets from sync2 screen will work without modification. I purchased all the parts off Ebay and never had any issues, paid around 600.00 for needed parts. Remember, forscan can be used for many things other than this upgrade.

Welcome to the Forum kenny. :wave:
Have you checked out this thread? SYNC 3 in a 2016 Explorer

Peter
Yes, I have read this thread. But it happened a long time ago when the 16 was fresh off the stove and still new.

I also wondered specifically if I would have to replace my antenna for the factory nav of Sync 3 to work, since I remember reading somewhere that the newer cars used the shark fin style antenna, and that's what you had to install in your car to make it work, but I already have the shark fin.

The shark fin is only for SiriusXM snd radio. The nav antenna is different, it uses fakra fitting and is mounted somewhere behind the head unit. The sync2 antenna is not compatible with sync3. Dont even concern yourself with the sync2 antenna, just leave it. But you do need to purchase nav antenna for sync3, it should have magnetic base and it will stick to the metal frame under the area where the center speaker is, just dont mount it under metal, it cannot secure signal to triangulate global positioning.

Notice the blue fakra fitting, it will plug directly into sync3 apim.

7E822BF1-E115-4E96-AC98-18168BFCF79B.jpeg

The shark fin is only for SiriusXM snd radio. The nav antenna is different, it uses fakra fitting and is mounted somewhere behind the head unit. The sync2 antenna is not compatible with sync3. Dont even concern yourself with the sync2 antenna, just leave it. But you do need to purchase nav antenna for sync3, it should have magnetic base and it will stick to the metal frame under the area where the center speaker is, just dont mount it under metal, it cannot secure signal to triangulate global positioning.
That's good to know, thank you. I've read somewhere that you have to unplug the factory antenna, because having two antennas will cause the navigation to fail. Does the GPS antenna connect somewhere other than the APIM? I don't understand how you could have two antennas plugged in at the same time.

The sync2 antenna was under the gauge cluster, you could follow the wire to see where it connects. I never bothered with it and maybe I disconnected it without realizing it.

When I did this in my 16, I unplugged the Sync 2 antenna.

To clarify a few things: The sync 2 antenna is actually a fully standalone GPS reciever and it's behind and above the gauge cluster. 2016s ONLY need to unplug it if they do a Sync 3 upgrade as it will create conflicting messages on the bus, 2011-15 require it to remain for the compass to work. As for the new antenna, the best solution is a Sync 3 shark fin and matching splitter cable. I would assume a 2016 stock shark fin lacks a GPS reciever, but it's hard to say since all vehicles used the same units generally, they may have put it in and just left the old style splitter in, you'd need to take it off and open it up to check or get a splitter and see what happens. The shark fin has a dual fakra to a long dual fakra extension that is then split behind the passengers kick panel. 2017 up split it 3 or more ways (Sirius, radio and GPS) also keep in mind you MUST have sirius and GPS connected or the splitter won't work right (it's just a bandpass filter on the satellite leg to split the signals, without a load on both legs the frequency split will be wrong, ran into this upgrading our Fusion) On my 2015 I swapped to a MKC fin and a factory explorer splitter cable for about 60 bucks. There are a couple aftermarket antennas that work ok, and dozens that don't work right at all. Mitral Shah on facebook can get you a full package with the right parts for a decent price, including the programing. I did mine myself and saved a chunk of change, but honestly the time I spent on it wasn't worth the savings.

Back