• Register Today It's free!

2017-2019 Explorer

Markfnc1

Reaction score
City, State
Garner, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Looking at buying a used Explorer. My 2007 has 262,000 miles. Any engines/transmissions that are more reliable or "look out for" more than others? Looking to by one with under 45K miles.

Welcome to the 5th gen Forum Mark.
If looking at the 3.5L V6 engine, they have an internal water pump that could cause issues if it begins to leak and is not caught in time.
Water pump failure leads to dead engine
The 2.3L engine has an external pump. Many members have also suggested changing the PTU fluid at around 30k miles since it is exposed to a lot of heat and there isn't much of it to begin with.
You may get more info by just browsing through the thread and checking out the various topics. I don't believe there is any difference between the 2 model years you mentioned.

Peter

Welcome to the 5th gen Forum Mark.
If looking at the 3.5L V6 engine, they have an internal water pump that could cause issues if it begins to leak and is not caught in time.
Water pump failure leads to dead engine
The 2.3L engine has an external pump. Many members have also suggested changing the PTU fluid at around 30k miles since it is exposed to a lot of heat and there isn't much of it to begin with.
You may get more info by just browsing through the thread and checking out the various topics. I don't believe there is any difference between the 2 model years you mentioned.

Peter
Thanks. yes i have a Taurus with the same internal water pump. That cost me $2000 +/- vs the $200 on my current 2007 explorer. Stupid design

You decide on trim and features? FWD AWD? For me the 19 face looked better than the previous fog light "C" design.

Back