Safety Technology in 2017+ Explorers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Safety Technology in 2017+ Explorers

Explorer30303

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer
My baby girl is looking at an Explorer. I'm more concerned about safety features than anything else.

In 2017, ACC was offered with Brake Support. Does this automatically brake to avoid a collision, or just pre-charge the system?

In 2018, Safe and Smart was offered. Seems to be the same as 2017, but I'm curious if the technology is "better". Lane keep, BLIS, Adaptive cruise with brake support.

2019 appears to be the same as 2018. Is there anything that makes 2019 more desirable from a safety perspective?

Appreciate all the input!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My baby girl is looking at an Explorer. I'm more concerned about safety features than anything else.

In 2017, ACC was offered with Brake Support. Does this automatically brake to avoid a collision, or just pre-charge the system?

In 2018, Safe and Smart was offered. Seems to be the same as 2017, but I'm curious if the technology is "better". Lane keep, BLIS, Adaptive cruise with brake support.

2019 appears to be the same as 2018. Is there anything that makes 2019 more desirable from a safety perspective?

To answer your first question, the brake support is for when the distance set for ACC (measured by radar) is less than the actual distance to the car in front, the vehicle will apply braking to slow down (I can't remember if it engages the brakes, engine brakes or a combo of both). However, it does not reduce the need for the driver to pay full attention to the road. It is also not a collision assist. I've uploaded Ford's own diagram (found with a 10 second Google search) to explain further.

Slight deviation from the tech, but as a rule of thumb, I wouldn't buy the last model year of a generation generally, and especially not of this Explorer. Ford cheaped out and only put one horn (not 2) in the 19MY, as well as cheaper exhausts.
While that's not a lot, it does make me wonder where else they tried to save costs.

Add in the fact that CAP (Chicago Assembly Plant, where the Explorer is built) is notorious for its piss poor QC, I'd go for an 18MY if I were you.

The more important aspect, for me anyway, would be how much of the B2B is left and whether or not you'd want to buy an extended warranty. If you're planning on keeping it for the rest of its life, I'd think it to be worth it (the premiumcare with max rental allowance). Even if not, its still transferable, so would increase resale value.

Here is a link to thread on US ESPs at dealer cost - except for FL - Ford ESP at dealer cost to forum members)

And here is one on discounted Canadian ESPs - Canada ESP plans now discounted

(Sorry, I'm on mobile and can't see where you're located)

As far as I know though (which, admittedly, on these MYs ain't a huge amount), there's isn't a difference in the tech. In fact, I don't see any in looking through the order guide, but you may want to take a closer look.

I've uploaded both for you to take a look at if you want.

Attachments

• 2019 Explorer 4-Door Order Guide (1).pdf
    571.7 KB · Views: 181
  • 2018 Explorer Order Guide.pdf
    716.9 KB · Views: 221
  • Adaptive_Cruise.pdf
    937.2 KB · Views: 317

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The ACC in the 2017 works the same as it did in my 2011 Limited. In the 2011 I could actually see the rear brake lights comimg on by the reflected light of the high mounted brake light onto the liftgate. On my 2017, I could feel it slow down but did not notice the same reflection of the brake light. Perhaps it wasn't as severe a slow down.
The only time that I'm aware of where the brakes are precharged is in the case of the Pre-Collision Assist system sounding a warning.
The Pre-Collision Assist system’s
brake support only reduces collision
speed if you first apply your brakes.
You must brake as you would in any typical
braking situation.

I just read an article on the top 17 safest SUVs this morning. The Explorer was #16 and the safest was the KIA Sedona. The Edge was among the top 6 if I recall correctly.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The ACC in the 2017 works the same as it did in my 2011 Limited. In the 2011 I could actually see the rear brake lights comimg on by the reflected light of the high mounted brake light onto the liftgate. On my 2017, I could feel it slow down but did not notice the same reflection of the brake light. Perhaps it wasn't as severe a slow down.
The only time that I'm aware of where the brakes are precharged is in the case of the Pre-Collision Assist system sounding a warning.
The Pre-Collision Assist system’s
brake support only reduces collision
speed if you first apply your brakes.
You must brake as you would in any typical
braking situation.

I just read an article on the top 17 safest SUVs this morning. The Explorer was #16 and the safest was the KIA Sedona. The Edge was among the top 6 if I recall correctly.

Peter

Sounds like your 2017 was using engine braking, instead of the brakes at that point. The 2018 Expedition used engine braking for its ACC for small loss of speed, and would then apply the brakes if further slowness was needed.

Do you have a link to that particular article or remember where you saw it? What were the parameters of safety they were measuring? I remember that the 2017 Explorer had one of the highest crash test ratings of SUVs that particulay MY.

Might be an unneeded clarification, but I'll offer it.

If Adaptive Cruise is NOT active, "collision warning with brake support" will have two functions:
-Alert Only. If an impact is possible, the lights will flash/alarm sound and the vehicle will await action from the driver.
-Alert and Pre Charge. If an impact is closer to imminent, the lights will flash/alarm sound and the vehicle will pre-charge the brakes. When the brakes are activated even a little bit, they'll be slammed (in my experience) to full force to avoid the collision.

In either event, if the driver does not brake, neither will the vehicle.

If adaptive cruise is active, the vehicle will brake for a slow down, but for a true imminent collision, it may rely on the driver to haul the car to an immediate halt. In my experience, the collision warning system tends to have false positives against bridges and other metal objects (rarer, but it happens), but Ford has it programmed so the ACC won't slow down unless it's sure there's a vehicle in the way. Thus, it will alert, but not risk braking inappropriately--but will sound the alarm anyway as a lower-confidence response.

Overall, the Explorer is not on top of the safety feature curve in this regard, admittedly. But I will admit that the warning system has saved me a couple of times from my own stupidity.

Back