2017 MY Running Boards | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 MY Running Boards

The FWD and AWD models are the same height. I believe only the Sport sits a little lower. Running boards are a late availability option on the 2017 and are not powered/retractable according to my salesman. Although I can't be sure, I believe the lack of handles on the seat and 'A' pillar is due to air bags being located there.

Peter
Peter, just thought I'd throw this out there, not that it means a thing but it has me wondering: You gave me the site for checking my vehicle's "options" on the www.etis.ford.com page. Scanning through the list, it does actually say "Interior Grab Handles - Front/Rear". Now, honestly, that could mean something as simple as the "pull wells" on each door to grab and shut them from the inside! But to me, it would sound like the actual grab handles that Jeeps and other bigger SUVs, trucks, heck, even some cars have - in the back seats, they're always directly over the door center mounted about diagonally as the door frame curves to the ceiling (where they put coat hooks) and, for the front seats, either in the same place over the window or on the pillar ("A" pillar?) between the door window and windshield. It really is a shame that Ford didn't put those in the Explorer, they do come in REALLY handy for many people to grab and assist themselve getting in. Please talk to your boys at R&D about making that an add-on option for the 2011-2017 models :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is one handle above the passenger door on mine but that's all. I wonder if the PIU Explorers have them on the pillars? I've seen those handle on some of the police shows on TV.

Peter

Just bought the 2017 Explorer and as an afterthought decided to get running boards due to my wife being vertically challenged. Does anyone out there know how to remove the trim piece on the underside of the rocker panel in order for the running boards to be attached? Any help would be much appreciated.

lAny running boards you buy should come with full instructions including how to remove trim pieces.

Just bought the 2017 Explorer and as an afterthought decided to get running boards due to my wife being vertically challenged. Does anyone out there know how to remove the trim piece on the underside of the rocker panel in order for the running boards to be attached? Any help would be much appreciated.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Are you looking at adding the OEM running boards?

Peter

Thanks, PapaGary. I'll have to get back to Ford Parts Dept. as that's where I bought these.

Thanks, PapaGary. I'll have to get back to Ford Parts Dept. as that's where I bought these.
Whoa, I have to admit I was thinking of Honda parts which when ordered form a dealer come with rather complete instructions. Maybe Ford doesn't figure that their customers will be installing their own accessories.

I did finally get my Ford OEM running boards installed last week, haven't gotten a picture yet - but why bother, they look exactly as they do in the previous link! They fit 2011-2017 Explorers. Part # HB5Z-16450-AB

I bought them from Tasca Parts Center for $401.94 + 34.81 S&H, no tax (any Ford dealer nationwide would charge tax on top of their higher price and delivery), did the drivers side install first which took about 3.5 hours, did the passenger side the next day which took just over 2 hours since I knew what I was doing then. The hardest part, as I mentioned in an earlier post, was that I was shorted one nut and holding washer, so had to figure out what I needed at Home Depot - cost a few bucks, if that (it's all metric if that might help anyone - I love metric for sockets, they're SO much easier! Still can't find a metric screwdriver though ;-) ). Actually, to be honest, the hardest part was putting in the new locking caps (5 on each side) that keep the under-door trim in place (best way I can describe it).

Good news and bad news. Tasca now has these for $385 but want $284 for oversized shipping! :eek:

That looks really nice. Btw, for a tip on how to post pics without an elite membership, you can just embed the link to a pic. Just click the picture icon while editing (the one with the sun and mountains in it), then paste in the link. In OneDrive, you have to click on the picture you want, and in the viewer screen, there is a small embed button above and grab the link from there. For me, I use snag.gy to post my pictures, you can paste clipboard pics in there, and the snag.gy links are easy to manage.

Will the running boards protect the side of your car from rogue shopping carts?

6j7dWG36Fic1E?width=4032&height=3024&cropmode=none.jpg

That looks really nice. Btw, for a tip on how to post pics without an elite membership, you can just embed the link to a pic. Just click the picture icon while editing (the one with the sun and mountains in it), then paste in the link. In OneDrive, you have to click on the picture you want, and in the viewer screen, there is a small embed button above and grab the link from there. For me, I use snag.gy to post my pictures, you can paste clipboard pics in there, and the snag.gy links are easy to manage.

Will the running boards protect the side of your car from rogue shopping carts?

6j7dWG36Fic1E?width=4032&height=3024&cropmode=none.jpg
My guess about rogue shopping carts? No, the running boards don't stick out any further than my 20" tires. Actually they're inset a little bit. Some have said they're just good for dirtying the back of pants/legs and yes, this could definitely be true - but I have back problems so for me, they're great, mostly at getting in, but I do use them for exiting as well. I did have to train (force) myself to use them once installed to remember they are there but now I don't even think of it. When exiting, my foot now just automatically goes directly to the step. My husband, on the other hand, is more 5'11" and he doesn't use them. He loves the way they look, just has no use for them. And this picture here with the White Sport is gorgeous!

Hi everyone. New guy here with a 2016 Ford Explorer Sport. Just like kmarnes above. I ordered the OEM running boards but the box was opened. Parts look all to be there but not the instructions. Anyone have a link to them? Back to the parts department tomorrow if not. Thanks for any help.

Hi everyone. New guy here with a 2016 Ford Explorer Sport. Just like kmarnes above. I ordered the OEM running boards but the box was opened. Parts look all to be there but not the instructions. Anyone have a link to them? Back to the parts department tomorrow if not. Thanks for any help.
Oddly, I just looked through all my stuff. Of course, I have the install instructions for the front/rear splash guards, the front/rear window vent covers, the hood deflector, the back bumper protector - everything I've installed EXCEPT for the running boards. That stuff isn't something that I normally would throw away, so I've got them in a stack-of-papers-to-file somewhere. If I come across them before anyone else replies, I'll hook you up! Sorry I can't help right now.

Oddly, I just looked through all my stuff. Of course, I have the install instructions for the front/rear splash guards, the front/rear window vent covers, the hood deflector, the back bumper protector - everything I've installed EXCEPT for the running boards. That stuff isn't something that I normally would throw away, so I've got them in a stack-of-papers-to-file somewhere. If I come across them before anyone else replies, I'll hook you up! Sorry I can't help right now.

I appreciate it. Nothing like getting all prepped to do this thing with the garage and all only to be missing the darn instructions. I got the window vent/deflectors on. Next will be the splash guard/mud flaps followed by the rear bumper protector and roof cross bars...not necessarily in that order. Sounds like you have done much the same. Any pointers much appreciated on the install of the other items. :) Thanks again for any help with those pesky running board instructions.

Welcome to the Forum Dave.:wave:
I found this with an Internet search. Not sure if it helps. Appears to use exiting bolt holes.
https://itstillruns.com/install-ford-running-boards-5805550.html

Peter

Hi all, I got a copy of instructions from the parts department where I bought the running boards from. I have them installed. Took me about 4.5 hours to put them on and that was on the floor of the garage and with a slightly pulled back. So yes....I did take my time. :) Question: Noticed not a lot of clearance between the running board and bottom of the door when opening. Nothing rubbing but not much room either.. Anyone else notice that with the OEM running boards on their Explorer?

I appreciate it. Nothing like getting all prepped to do this thing with the garage and all only to be missing the darn instructions. I got the window vent/deflectors on. Next will be the splash guard/mud flaps followed by the rear bumper protector and roof cross bars...not necessarily in that order. Sounds like you have done much the same. Any pointers much appreciated on the install of the other items. :) Thanks again for any help with those pesky running board instructions.
Dave, were you able to find the instructions for the running boards? I did find mine (so sorry for the delay). I only have the actual printed instructions, I can't find anything that corresponds to them online. I'm going to attempt to scan them and make them a PDF file to place on this site, just in case anyone else might need then sometime. If you want them faster than I can figure out how to scan/post them, I can fax them to you or send you an email with your own copy. Let me know if they're needed - if I don't hear from you, I'll assume you found what you need!

Hi all, I got a copy of instructions from the parts department where I bought the running boards from. I have them installed. Took me about 4.5 hours to put them on and that was on the floor of the garage and with a slightly pulled back. So yes....I did take my time. :) Question: Noticed not a lot of clearance between the running board and bottom of the door when opening. Nothing rubbing but not much room either.. Anyone else notice that with the OEM running boards on their Explorer?
Oops, I just noticed this post you made just after I sent you the reply that I found my instructions! Glad you got what you needed and that you got them installed. I also took about 5 hours to install them (just me, nobody to help but the dog - who isn't really helpful at all). Oh, and I just measured my door clearance...I have 3/8" to 1/2" top from the very upper edge of the running board "ridge" to the lowest part of the door.

Since I've had 5 back surgeries and weakness in my legs, the running boards are great for me, especially to get into the car (hard for me to lift my leg over the door sill) and the majority of the time, I do use them to get out. Can't say I really need them to exit, but with the money I spent plus the time I spent on the install, I'm going to use then, dammit! I still get miffed that they don't put a grab handle on the inside pillar like there is for the passenger seat! I keep using that as an excuse to justify going back to an Expedition (I absolutely loved my 2008 Eddie Bauer Expedition) but my other half just gives me REALLY "I'm going to kill you" looks whenever I mention changing. Personally, I see nothing wrong with a different car every 2-3 years!

This information is REALLY after-the-fact for you - by 4 months, SO sorry, had a lot going on the last several months. For removal of the trim pieces (the 5 or 6 - per side - little square plastic pieces that hold the rocker panel trim), in order to ensure that I'd actually be able to reuse the trim pieces (if they're not removed properly, they're ruined.) I did actually purchase the tool that is shown to remove them. It looks like a 3/4" wide or so screwdriver with a notch in the middle of it so it can grab the "pop-in" pressure "wings" and pull them out without ripping the "wings" up while also not damaging the ribbed core of the trim piece. Even with the proper tool, it still wasn't the easiest thing to get them out. I believe I bought the tool from Auto Zone. I love buying specialized tools for one part of a car that, more than likely, will never be used again. I had to purchase a $25 radiator hose clamp removal tool for a '90 Cadillac many years ago, and I've never used it since. This was back in 2002. And yes, I still have the thing!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just ordered the facrtory running boards for our 2017 xlt and I would like to know if I can put factory splash guards with the factory running boards, at least up front, i know back ones aren't an issue.

Thanks.

Back