2017 MY Running Boards | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 MY Running Boards

Hi guys, new to the forum and took delivery of my 2017 Sport just last week. First non-German car for many years and so far I am liking it! Just hope it stays that way :eek:)

I am having the factory/OEM running boards installed on my car today. A local dealer is doing them for $499 installed and given that they started installing them at 2pm and are still doing so, I am glad they are doing them for me! I think that is a fair deal given the RRP is the same price as they are doing them installed for! I will post some pictures for those interested later this week when I can get some daylight photos.

Also upgraded the High Beam Headlights, Puddle Lights, and License Plate lights to LED's based on all the info on this forum. What a great place to learn the things you need to know based on others experiences :eek:) Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi guys, new to the forum and took delivery of my 2017 Sport just last week. First non-German car for many years and so far I am liking it! Just hope it stays that way :eek:)
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

We're referring to the no-drill factory accessories running boards. I'll link you:

https://accessories.ford.com/catalog/product/view/id/11806/s/step-asy/category/154/
I did finally get my Ford OEM running boards installed last week, haven't gotten a picture yet - but why bother, they look exactly as they do in the previous link! They fit 2011-2017 Explorers. Part # HB5Z-16450-AB

I bought them from Tasca Parts Center for $401.94 + 34.81 S&H, no tax (any Ford dealer nationwide would charge tax on top of their higher price and delivery), did the drivers side install first which took about 3.5 hours, did the passenger side the next day which took just over 2 hours since I knew what I was doing then. The hardest part, as I mentioned in an earlier post, was that I was shorted one nut and holding washer, so had to figure out what I needed at Home Depot - cost a few bucks, if that (it's all metric if that might help anyone - I love metric for sockets, they're SO much easier! Still can't find a metric screwdriver though ;-) ). Actually, to be honest, the hardest part was putting in the new locking caps (5 on each side) that keep the under-door trim in place (best way I can describe it).

Now, as some have mentioned, many don't think the Explorer sits high enough to need Running Boards. For normal people, perhaps not but, as I mentioned, I've had 5 back surgeries and can't lift my right leg over the door threshold easily, others have mentioned shorter passengers, including children. So they honestly DO come in handy for some people - but no, most people wouldn't need them. I will say though - they look really nice! It just adds a little something. Someone also mentioned that they will just get the back of your pants dirty while exiting. Well, this is true as well. I only need them for getting IN the car (and it would be REALLY nice if Ford put hand grips on the driver's side pillar like many other SUVs have). I don't really need them to get out and I'm not yet used to them being there, so yes, stepping out rubs your pants against the running board.

One other bonus of running boards? I'm only 5'8" so they make washing the top of the car SO much easier! When I had my Expedition, even with the auto running boards (and you had to crack the door as you wash the car to get them to extend) I had to use a step ladder to wash the top!

So, there you have it. These were super easy to install (once the illustrations made sense), it was really a one person job, but I did have a helper to hand me things as I was on the crawler under a jacked up car (on jack stands), they're very sturdy, and they look awesome. I couldn't be more pleased.

One last addition - as discussed earlier, these running boards DO allow for front and back molded splash guards. I installed those some time ago and didn't need to remove them for access or anything, the front molded splash guards were not in any way obtrusive to the install or placement of the running boards. I know for some (myself) having the splash guards was a must, and others weren't interested in them so aftermarket running boards that would not allow splash guards was workable. For the user that had those awesome aftermarket boards (I'm locked in an edit window so can't look) and posted the link to the aftermarket site, I still really love the look of yours. Had I not already received the OEM boards long before seeing your post, I would have given the ones you got some serious consideration (plus they were much cheaper as well if I recall!)

At my dealer in Shumburg, IL for a 25K mile check-up and saw these in their showroom. I asked about them and the parts department said that they were so new that they can't even pull the part/price up.

Can you guys take a photo of yours installed? I'm assuming that these are the same that you got

I see only a side profile but I'd love to see the entire EXP with the boards on.

Thanks, @RMatthews and @DeLeSaAZ!!!
IMG_0982.JPG
IMG_0981.JPG

At my dealer in Shumburg, IL for a 25K mile check-up and saw these in their showroom. I asked about them and the parts department said that they were so new that they can't even pull the part/price up.

Can you guys take a photo of yours installed? I'm assuming that these are the same that you got

I see only a side profile but I'd love to see the entire EXP with the boards on.

Thanks, @RMatthews and @DeLeSaAZ!!!
View attachment 95615 View attachment 95614

It's 500 dollars. https://accessories.ford.com/catalog/product/view/id/11806/s/step-asy/category/312/

Yeah, I saw that but I wanted to see the entire car. Thanks.
I was going to post the picture of my car with the running boards - but I can't figure out how to include a simple picture. If I can figure it out, I will. In the meantime, somewhere earlier in this thread was a better picture of the entire side posted from elsewhere.

I was going to post the picture of my car with the running boards - but I can't figure out how to include a simple picture. If I can figure it out, I will. In the meantime, somewhere earlier in this thread was a better picture of the entire side posted from elsewhere.
Easiest way is to take out a $20 Elite membership and you can post directly from your computer/device. Otherwise use a 3rd party site like Photobucket.

Easiest way is to take out a $20 Elite membership and you can post directly from your computer/device. Otherwise use a 3rd party site like Photobucket.
Or, even easier, is to just refer to pictures that are already on here ;-) Although an Elite Membership may come in useful in time, I do like to tinker with things that are in the realm of my capabilities (putting on mud flaps, license plates - that's a tricky one! - or these Running Boards) but any major mechanical work? Pass! But at the moment I've got other things on my plate that cost money (house remodel) so car tinkering must wait!

@jonnoriega - I will get some pictures taken over the weekend. After having the running boards fitted in the snowy North-East I realized they "attracted" a lot of snow/dirt from the front wheels as it sprayed backwards.... I didn't have any splash guards/mud-flaps so I have since had those fitted as well. Highly recommended as they have stopped the snow gathering on the step and me treading it into the car (from the steps at least)...

Will get the car through the touchless car wash and then get some pictures up for you but I will say I think the splash guards and steps really improve the appearance.

Jesus, I can't even delete a post made incorrectly.

Jesus, I can't even delete a post made incorrectly.
You could if you had the Elite membership.:D Sent you a PM about the post you want deleted.

Yeah, I saw that but I wanted to see the entire car. Thanks.
photo.php
photo.php
@jonnoriega - I will get some pictures taken over the weekend. After having the running boards fitted in the snowy North-East I realized they "attracted" a lot of snow/dirt from the front wheels as it sprayed backwards.... I didn't have any splash guards/mud-flaps so I have since had those fitted as well. Highly recommended as they have stopped the snow gathering on the step and me treading it into the car (from the steps at least)...

Will get the car through the touchless car wash and then get some pictures up for you but I will say I think the splash guards and steps really improve the appearance.
I agree, the look with both the splash guards (I have the molded type) with the running boards is really sharp. The splash guards (I call them mud flaps - old school) are one of the first things I had installed when I got the Explorer. Afterwards, when the discussion turned to Running Boards, which I'd already ordered but hadn't arrived yet, someone said something about running boards being good at getting the back of your pants dirty (or legs - I'm in Arizona, wear shorts 9 months of the year) for people who stepped over them when getting out. Since installing them, I've gotten out of the car many times, forgetting they're there, and pressed the back of my Levis against them. Personally, I've never actually looked to see if my pants got marked - because mostly I don't care! I'm a jeans and t-shirt guy, also because it hasn't really rained much. I can see where it would be a concern with guys wearing dressier clothes. Anyway, my point about all this - I wonder if having the splash guards will deter the sides of the rails from getting that dirty - unless one lives on a farm or goes 4-wheeling (I don't really see the Explorer as the 4-wheeling type of vehicle!). The sides of my splash guards are about even with the sides of the running boards which are about even with the edge of the tire. It'll be close!

You could if you had the Elite membership.:D Sent you a PM about the post you want deleted.
HAHA, well the post I wanted deleted is actually the one that says I can't delete a post! I started with something and wrote some stuff, changed my mind, wasn't able to just find a delete button - and just closing the browser and reopening didn't work either - so that's when I just backspaced the whole thing and wrote that, #51. I hadn't actually "posted" the original message, I'd only typed it then couldn't make it go away! Boy, you're driving a hard bargain :) I just got the final settlement offer from when my Edge was plowed into last September ($8300 damage being rear ended, mostly UNDER the Edge - exhaust, bumper, etc - because the woman hit me so hard - and I had my brakes on the floor to stop from hitting who was in front of me - those stupid rush hour chain reaction stops over NOTHING! - she hit so hard it actually lifted my rear end off the ground and she went under me (not in a good way!), car was in the shop for just short of a month), I had demanded "Diminution in Value" for the loss of value to my Edge since it had been in a major accident - I wanted $1k, they offered $673 - good enough, though I did lose more in the trade. ANYWAY, (aren't you glad to know the details of my life - I hope you're a good humored person!) once I get the payout, I will upgrade my account, I promise!

...... I hope you're a good humored person!) once I get the payout, I will upgrade my account, I promise!
One of my best known qualities.:D Don't get the upgrade on my account but it would be much appreciated.

Peter

@jonnoriega - apologies this took so long. I have uploaded a bunch of pictures here that I snapped today. I think they give you a good view - tried to get them from different angles for you so there should be plenty to go on.

You can view them here.

Let me know what you think!

@jonnoriega - apologies this took so long. I have uploaded a bunch of pictures here that I snapped today. I think they give you a good view - tried to get them from different angles for you so there should be plenty to go on.

You can view them here.

Looks good brother. Thanks for the photos. They make a huge difference. I may have to get them now. Thanks again!!!

No problem at all! Given it took the Ford dealership around 3 hours to install them, but they were offering a fixed install price of $50 on their accessories website, I think they were great value at $495 installed especially compared to the cost of OEM running boards on my previous German vehicles!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can view them here.

Looks awesome, your car is beautiful, nice and clean, too! I'm really loving mine - there is a break in time of getting used to them and remembering they're there! Good job

Back