OEM Running Boards Install Assistance | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OEM Running Boards Install Assistance

Rob S.

Reaction score
City, State
Fort McMurray, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer XLT
Hey all, hope someone here can help me out. My wife owns a 2017 XLT. She is 5' 1" tall and has a little difficulty in getting in and out. We found a set of used OEM running boards online and decided to scoop them up. The problem I'm having is that I have no idea how to mount the damn things! I can only find one hole on the body where the mounting brackets match up, and there's a tab that I'm pretty sure goes up under the trim at the bottom of the doors.
I have searched youtube and google for install videos for factory boards, but all I can find are after market videos and the mounting brackets are completely different.
Any assistance would be awesome. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did they not come with instructions? I thought ford supplies them. Please let me know, if they don't, I'll have the dealer install mine.

Did they not come with instructions? I thought ford supplies them. Please let me know, if they don't, I'll have the dealer install mine.
Quite possibly the original owner didn't keep the instructions. I'm sure they must have come with them initially.

Peter

Buying them used I would say that there are still parts on the other Explorer that you didn't get. You need to find someone that has running boards on their Explorer and ask them if you can crawl under it and see how they are mounted and what is needed.

Buying them used I would say that there are still parts on the other Explorer that you didn't get. You need to find someone that has running boards on their Explorer and ask them if you can crawl under it and see how they are mounted and what is needed.

Been posting in our local area and even went to our dealership here to see if there was one on the lot that had them on... nada lol

Quite possibly the original owner didn't keep the instructions. I'm sure they must have come with them initially.

Peter
Pretty sure they were a factory install.

Hey everyone. I just bought a 2018 Explorer Sport. I also bought the molded carbon black running boards. I briefly got under the vehicle to install them, and was wondering if there is a video on how to install them. The instructions are not real clear. Not sure on some of the hardware installation.

Thanks.

Hey everyone. I just bought a 2018 Explorer Sport. I also bought the molded carbon black running boards. I briefly got under the vehicle to install them, and was wondering if there is a video on how to install them. The instructions are not real clear. Not sure on some of the hardware installation.

Thanks.

Don’t want to be that guy, but it took me a little over an hour to figure it out. The instructions are pretty clear, start with one side and apply to the other.

It’s like putting together IKEA furniture. If it’s too tough, let the dealer do it for you.

Before doing so make sure you have all the hardware, mine didn’t.

Hi everyone , I actually purchased a used set of these running boards also but I’m missing the mounting bolts . I can’t seem to find them anywhere I’ve tried making my own bolts (j style ) L style bolts and no luck. And I called ford they do not sell the bolts only the whole running board . Any help highly appreciated .

Welcome to the Forum Will.:wave:

Peter

Back