2018 Explorer Windshield moldings side and bottom breaking down too soon | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2018 Explorer Windshield moldings side and bottom breaking down too soon

Ryan1021

Reaction score
City, State
Long Beach , California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018, Explorer limited
Am I the only one having issues with windshield moldings breaking down? My Explorer is only 2018 and all the rubber moldings on my windshield are cracking and breaking down.
Ford does not cover it and they call it normal. Is there a recall or something? Any ideas what to do to save money to replace it please ???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine are doing the exact same thing....:(

Am I the only one having issues with windshield moldings breaking down? My Explorer is only 2018 and all the rubber moldings on my windshield are cracking and breaking down.
Ford does not cover it and they call it normal. Is there a recall or something? Any ideas what to do to save money to replace it please ???
Since mouldings are not considered a 'safety issue', there are no recalls and there are also no TSB's or anything other programs that I can recall.
I can't tell what condition yours are in but I believe this may cover what you need.
Glass - Windshield for 2018 Ford Explorer | Genuine Ford Auto Parts (forum vendor offers discounts to members)

Peter

Buddy of mine has a 2020 Ford Explorer Platinum that is doing the same exact thing. He had it replaced once and it is coming apart again. Now it is out of warranty.

Buddy of mine has a 2020 Ford Explorer Platinum that is doing the same exact thing. He had it replaced once and it is coming apart again. Now it is out of warranty.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Try to park in shade. Dress them with silicone grease to seal out oxygen, reflect more light. They will pick up more dust, but also not break down nearly as fast. Your call which is better. There are other types of protectants on the market as well, which dry so they pick up less dust but don't protect as well.

See if a local dealer has the parts so you can save hundreds of dollars on shipping. I know that bottom cowl piece is ridiculously expensive to ship through online dealers. Maybe if you get lucky, someone on Amazon is selling from an Amazon warehouse and you can get free shipping that way though I've had a lot less luck finding trim and other body parts on amazon, compared to normal wear/replacement parts.

Same issue here. Can't believe how quickly and how badly certain parts in my explorer have degraded. I clean and maintain my explorer religiously and much of it looks brand new. The door cracking has been the most frustrating experience.

I have the same exact issue and Ford doesn’t cover that. But, to be honest, that is not normal because all the cars I had before (for more than 6 years each) do not had that problem. I’m not sure if there’s any recall regarding that issue, but will like to know.

I have the same exact issue and Ford doesn’t cover that. But, to be honest, that is not normal because all the cars I had before (for more than 6 years each) do not had that problem. I’m not sure if there’s any recall regarding that issue, but will like to know.
Welcome to the Forum Ernest. :wave:
As J_C mentioned this is not a recall issue. Given the number of Explorers out there, this doesn't seem to be a very widespread issue.

Peter

Mine are doing the same thing on my 2017. Now when traveling at highway speed in the rain the windshield leaks. I just filed a complaint with the NHTSA, I had that they have opened a file.

I have a 2018, no issues with the Windshield side molding, but these break if you try to remove them. The issue is so bad that there are a bunch of aftermarket replacements for these., both the outside and inside molding for both sides (right and left). MUCH cheaper then the Ford ones.

I have a 2018, no issues with the Windshield side molding, but these break if you try to remove them. The issue is so bad that there are a bunch of aftermarket replacements for these., both the outside and inside molding for both sides (right and left). MUCH cheaper then the Ford ones.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
The Ford parts site may be a good place to look up items but not to buy from.
Levittown Ford is a forum vendor and offers members a discount. Coupon Codes for Forum Members

Peter

I noticed the rubber weatherstrips on either side of my windshield are dry rotting and pealing. Does anyone here know if those are part of the windshield itself or are they part of the inner A-pillar molding? The parts guy I spoke with at the dealer can't seem to find it in his catalogue and says its probably part of one of those two things

They're called "Windshield Molding." I replaced ours with some cheap Chinese version (waiting for them to break next year)

Anyway, there are two pieces PER SIDE (2011 part numbers for ref):
- A Mounting bracket "Lower" that bolts to the car (which holds the rubber molding). Left: BB5Z7803145BA | Right: BB5Z7803144BA
- The shiny plastic outer piece "Upper" that snaps to the mounting piece. Left: BB5Z7803145AA | Right: BB5Z7803144AA

There's no need to access the inside of the pillar for the replacement.

You can get sets from Amazon stores for $30-45, but Motorcraft would be like $500-550 for the 4-piece set. Eeeek!

***Do not use the non-Motorcraft w/ Motorcraft sets, as the snap-on points WILL NOT line up and you'll be pissed off immediately.***

Happy Molding!
~Shaun

I noticed the rubber weatherstrips on either side of my windshield are dry rotting and pealing. Does anyone here know if those are part of the windshield itself or are they part of the inner A-pillar molding? The parts guy I spoke with at the dealer can't seem to find it in his catalogue and says its probably part of one of those two things
Check out the parts and costs on the Levittown Ford website. See post #13 above.

Peter

Thank you. I am assuming there is no way to save the outer A-pillar moldings once they are taken off to replace the inners? I will definitely look into Levittown ford. It is looking close to $600 after tax for all 4 pieces which is absolutely ridiculous imo

If you get the 'cheaper' aftermarket moldings, get a tube of black silicone for autos. After I installed mine, I had to add a bead where the rubber is supposed to meet the glass to get a more professional look (and likely a better seal too).

Back