Windshield Noise/Squeek/Rattle | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Windshield Noise/Squeek/Rattle

I have a 2013 Expl,orer Limited and started to notice my dashboard rubbing against something when going over bumps and only when the weather gets cold. It goes away when I put my hand through the steering wheel and put pressure on the dash basically pushing it toward the windshield. When I stop pushing it comes back

Have you demonstrated this for your dealer, Pete1? I know they'd be happy to investigate this. I'd like to get your regional customer service manager involved as well. To do so, send a PM my way with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll take it from there. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I heard some creaking and popping the other day when I got in my Explorer. After some investigating I discovered it was just me.:D

Peter

I heard some creaking and popping the other day when I got in my Explorer. After some investigating I discovered it was just me.:D

Peter

I know the above was meant in jest, but it's actually the truth. I just made a post about my steering wheel creaking, and when I was trying to figure out what the noise was and where it was coming from, when I listened carefully I heard a non trivial amount of noise coming from my leg moving (which I wasn't aware I was doing) against the leather seat. Kinda puts the magnitude of the creaking steering wheel in perspective, but I'm still gonna get it fixed anyway.

When I wedge an envelope in between the dash and the windshield the noise gets fainter/goes away... What is causing this noise???

I have this issue too. I think they performed the TSB 12-9-3 on yours which my dealership will also do. I will mention the creaking in between. The dashboard might need to be adjusted.

*sigh* It's a love-hate affair with this Explorer. I really hope everything gets fixed.

Welcome to the Forum JosERW. There have been a few posts before on similar issues. One member who thought the noise was coming from the 'A' pillars discovered it was actually coming from the cowl that runs along the outside bottom edge of the windshield. He taped it down to verify and the noise disappeared.
Peter

My buddy that has a 2012 Explorer just took his in to his dealer today for this noise issue, and was told there's a brand-spanking new TSB about this very issue. He said he was told by the service guy that it said to actually tape the cowl down to test for this problem. Unfortunately he didn't get the TSB number.

I really hope it is the cowl. My Explorer is scheduled to be performed with the TSB is 12-9-3 in March together with MFT update and PMS. After comparing many vehicles to the Explorer, it seems that the cowl does not sit well on the windshield at all. There is no gasket that attaches the cowl to windshield thus rendering a "gap". This "gap" is where the wind blows in. This is where the rubbing also comes from and produces the creaking sound of glass and plastic. I wonder if the engineers had completely forgotten about this or chose to simply ignore their mishap...

Dash noise

Pete,

I have my 2011 at dealership now for same issue. My three year warranty ends in three days so hopefully they fix it. One dealer said they did not notice it, I heard it before I drove out of parking lot. I have kind of narrowed it down to the panel on the dash that has the defroster vents. If I put pressure on it it goes away. I also only hear it when it is cold. It has been very cold here this winter so I have heard it pretty much anytime I drive it. I will post what they do or don't do to fix it.

I look forward to hearing what they do for you, sarric. My Ex is doing the same exact thing... it crackles only when its cold and goes away if I push on it. Unlike you, my warranty is up.

... I will post what they do or don't do to fix it.

Definitely keep us in the loop, sarric. If you need my help, PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership so I can look into this further.

... My Ex is doing the same exact thing... it crackles only when its cold and goes away if I push on it...

Has your dealership had the chance to check this out, JohnC12? Let me know once you have and I'll see what I can do to assist. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Pete,

I have my 2011 at dealership now for same issue. My three year warranty ends in three days so hopefully they fix it. One dealer said they did not notice it, I heard it before I drove out of parking lot. I have kind of narrowed it down to the panel on the dash that has the defroster vents. If I put pressure on it it goes away. I also only hear it when it is cold. It has been very cold here this winter so I have heard it pretty much anytime I drive it. I will post what they do or don't do to fix it.

Hi Sarric,

Would appreciate knowing how you made out at with the repair yesterday. I'm having the same issue (though I've been posting in the dashboard creak thread) and see my issue is what is being discussed here.

If you can, can you share with the group the TSB number or description on your invoice. I'm less than 2 weeks out of 3 years. Thanks.

Ercole

Guys, Explorer is still in shop, so no update. It has been less than 30 degrees almost all winter, ever since I have taken in the Explorer it has been about 65. They are keeping it until it gets cold again, hopefully next week.

Update on rattle in dash by windshield

It is finally cold again in Oklahoma. Service manager did hear rattle and they determined it was in the panel on dash that has the defroster vents. They removed panel where it rubbed in windshield and the noise went away. There is a felt strip that is applied on the defrost panel that should eliminate the rattle. However the part is on back order from Ford. Might be another week before part comes in. Will report back after part comes in. Thank God I have my old faithful 1999 F150 to drive currently.

It is finally cold again in Oklahoma. Service manager did hear rattle and they determined it was in the panel on dash that has the defroster vents. They removed panel where it rubbed in windshield and the noise went away. There is a felt strip that is applied on the defrost panel that should eliminate the rattle. However the part is on back order from Ford. Might be another week before part comes in. Will report back after part comes in. Thank God I have my old faithful 1999 F150 to drive currently.

Thanks for the information. I will keep this in mind when I have mine serviced for the TSB 12-9-3 Windshield Rattle.

Thanks for the information. I will keep this in mind when I have mine serviced for the TSB 12-9-3 Windshield Rattle.

My 2013 goes into the dealer Monday for the dash rattle- mine sounds like the defrost vent for sure.

My 2013 goes into the dealer Monday for the dash rattle- mine sounds like the defrost vent for sure.

Hi Pete1,

Would like to know the outcome of your visit Monday to rectify the sound from around the front vent. The second attempt didn't work either, so I wanted to see what they performed for you and if you could share what was written on the work order/invoice sheet.

Thanks.

Ercole

Hi Pete1,

Would like to know the outcome of your visit Monday to rectify the sound from around the front vent. The second attempt didn't work either, so I wanted to see what they performed for you and if you could share what was written on the work order/invoice sheet.

Thanks.

Ercole

Got my Explorer back. They pulled off the defrost vent and replaced the circlips they said-no more noise!

Got my Explorer back. They pulled off the defrost vent and replaced the circlips they said-no more noise!

Hi Pete1. Hope you're enjoying your "quiet" ride. Just checking in to confirm that replacing the circlips did the trick.

Even though I've recently "graduated" from the 3 year class, I did bring my Ex into the dealer about this issue before my 3 years was up (1st trip back in January, 2nd in February). I'll reach out to Chrystal and Angela, my regional rep, to see if Ford would still honor this fix under warranty even though I'm now past 3 years.

Ercole

Hi Pete1. Hope you're enjoying your "quiet" ride. Just checking in to confirm that replacing the circlips did the trick.

Even though I've recently "graduated" from the 3 year class, I did bring my Ex into the dealer about this issue before my 3 years was up (1st trip back in January, 2nd in February). I'll reach out to Chrystal and Angela, my regional rep, to see if Ford would still honor this fix under warranty even though I'm now past 3 years.

Ercole

For the most part it's seems to be 99% gone. It's been very cold in MA this week so it's been a good test. Occasionally I still hear a slight rub but I probably would never have noticed that if I never had the problem. I'll continue to monitor & I have a great dealer- though my warranty is likely up in a month I'm sure they would take of the issue if it comes back.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...I'll reach out to Chrystal and Angela, my regional rep, to see if Ford would still honor this fix under warranty even though I'm now past 3 years...

Hey ercole,

Just touching base - did you need my assistance? Let me know when you're ready to go to the dealership and I'll be able to loop in your CSM once you head in. Since we've been in touch before, all I'll need is a PM with a verification of your best daytime phone number and your current mileage. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Back