2018 PIU remote start fob? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2018 PIU remote start fob?

Adam155724

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 explorer
I have a 2018 PIU with remote keyless entry. I enabled remote start using Forscan and added a hood switch, but when I attempted to program the fobs I had ordered I found they were the old style you could program with the 8 on off cycles. Apparently from 2016 on you have to use a fob with a 48 character key and program it with Forscan.

Can someone point me in the right direction for a fob that would allow me to use remote start? So far my search has netted some expensive proximity fobs.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sorry to bring up an old thread, but did you ever get this figured out?

You may or may not receive a reply. The member hasn't been active here since October 28, 2018.

Peter

Edit.....linked the keyless entry thread

You have to enable the keyless and remote start to add a system and utilize your factory remote.

You have to enable the keyless and remote start to add a system and utilize your factory remote.
I have a 2017 PIU. Can that be done in ForScan? How would I check if my vehicle supports factory remote start or is remote start ready?

Looks like this addresses it.

Seems to be about $300 bc I need the Ford receiver module and programming with IDS

Looks like this addresses it.

Seems to be about $300 bc I need the Ford receiver module and programming with IDS
I turned mine on in the IPC and bcm with Forscan , you will need ids to turn on the remote fobs, unless you have them now and a aftermarket remote start

I turned mine on in the IPC and bcm with Forscan , you will need ids to turn on the remote fobs, unless you have them now and a aftermarket remote start
Okay so I would need to pair an agreement remote start vs the facility receiver and weird little remote start keyfob ? I'm just trying to see if it's doable or a pita

Okay so I would need to pair an agreement remote start vs the facility receiver and weird little remote start keyfob ? I'm just trying to see if it's doable or a pita
It’s not a big deal, if your car already has remotes, you are 1 step ahead, if not, that is your first step, those need to be programmed with IDS, no way around it.

Next, program you body module and instrument panel for remote start functions with Forscan.

You will need to purchase a remote start, most of the better ones simply plug into the back of the DLC under the dash with the wiring plugging into the other harness from the remote start unit, it will need programmed, and will function with the piu remote, lock, unlock, lock is generally how they are programmed.

Easy breezy, took me all of about 40 minutes to do mine, although, I have done a few dozen and have my own IDS and Forscan, so I have eliminated any dealer involvement.

Back