2018 PIU Replacement tire recommendations | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2018 PIU Replacement tire recommendations

Pete Adams

Reaction score
City, State
Ball Ground, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer PIU
Callsign
K4PRA
Hello fellow PIU folks. It's been a while since I posted something on the forum. My 2018 is doing fine as a daily driver and is now fully upfitted with my ham radios and antennas. I have more antennas than the local PD. Since the car is a daily driver I'm reaching the time when I'll need tires. I'm looking for something quieter than the stock tires. I wouldn't mind it if they rode a little softer too. I'd like to upsize them a bit but from what I read, they need to stay very close to the stock dimensions. I'd prefer to keep the M+S rating since we do get some snow and ice here in north Georgia.

I did a search on the forum but haven't found any good recommendations for the PIU so I thought I ask the group to see if they have any recommendations and first hand experiences with replacing the OEM Goodyear Eagle RS-A 245/55R18 tires. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Pete. Did you see the following thread? Time for tires
I don't know why a PIU should be any different than a retail unit if it is just being used as a daily driver.

Peter

I put a set of BF Goodrich Advantage T/A Sport in the original size almost 2 years ago. Well pleased.

I put a set of BF Goodrich Advantage T/A Sport in the original size almost 2 years ago. Well pleased.
Thanks for a recommendation MattMPA. I'll check them out.

I'm surprised that I haven't had any more recommendations.
I guess people are happy with the stock tires and just replace the with the same.

Thanks for a recommendation MattMPA. I'll check them out.

I'm surprised that I haven't had any more recommendations.
I guess people are happy with the stock tires and just replace the with the same.
I think quite a few folks swap to different wheels. Wish I could be of some help, I still have the stock RSA's on my 18" steel wheels (use during winter.)
I have replaced the stock Hankooks from the 20" wheels with a set up upsized Falken Ziex CT60's very happy with them. There's definitely more room in the wheel well for a bigger tire.

As always it depends on what tire qualities are most important to you. Since you're in GA, we can at least rule out all-weather (and winter) tires, seems like an all season touring tire would suit your desire for quiet and soft riding, and many have quite good wear ratings.

What did you have in mind for upsizing? Just wider or larger diameter as well? If you don't have a need for more ground clearance, and it's not all about looks, then the larger diameter doesn't seem beneficial. Wider, that can give you more traction but you're already expressing a decision to move towards softer riding. Granted, a little larger tire due to a taller sidewall, inflated to a lower pressure, can achieve the same load rating while also providing a softer ride.

The tradeoff is it will be a little slower and a little less nimble. Everything is a trade-off and the stock tire size was what Ford considered the best compromise. I'm making mountains out of mole hills, the suggestion below is not that big a size difference, but is enough to make your speedometer read low if you don't reprogram to change that.

Random suggestion that addresses what you wrote, is 255/65R18 Continental CrossContact LX25. I have no experience running them.

I've been running General Tire Altimax 365AW's for about a month. As long as you're not doing any aggressive driving, they're pretty good. If you push it, they'll complain. They're softer than the Goodyear Enforcer tires I had when I bought my PIU. They are the stock size of 245/55R18.
2023-08-0905.51.181751962582513517064.jpg

I've been running General Tire Altimax 365AW's for about a month. As long as you're not doing any aggressive driving, they're pretty good. If you push it, they'll complain. They're softer than the Goodyear Enforcer tires I had when I bought my PIU. They are the stock size of 245/55R18.
All-weather tires are a compromise of summer and dedicated winter tires. That would help explain the "softer" part.

Peter

^ It's the extra sipes, good for hard pack snow and ice but a little squirmy handling otherwise, at least till the tread wears down more. Otherwise a softer compound is grippier.

Back