2020 2.3 engine slow to warm up | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 2.3 engine slow to warm up

Post number 3 has been selected as best answered.

michael loibl

Reaction score
City, State
maywood, new jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 EB V6 & 2020 XLT
So I’ve only had the new addition for a few weeks. The past couple of 35 degree mornings caused me to notice how slow the truck warms up. 2 minute idle, then a 6 minute 3 mile drive, and still just one bar lit up on gauge. Heat is barely warm at this point.

I popped the hood and felt both radiator hoses, both cool, so I assume thermostat is operating properly. Coolant levels are full.

It seems that 4 bars is full operating temperature, based on previous longer drives. Anyone else notice this on their 2.3?

Mine is parked in an attached garage overnight so it is already at 30-40 during the cold months. It seems to be warm enough within a couple miles, definitely before I hit 6 miles. When I get off work I normally start the engine about 5-10 minutes before I get off on the hot and cold days and it is normally at temp by the time I get off. With that said, I have noticed I keep the heated seats and steering wheel on longer in the Explorer than my Fusion so may it takes a bit longer to warm up and I just don't really notice it. I have temperature issues and extreme variations cause issues, so pre-starting the car is a must.

Upvote 0

Back