2020 canadian import platinum monroney question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 canadian import platinum monroney question

grizz T

Reaction score
City, State
Cape Cod, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
F350 King Ranch
good Day and hello;
I am perplexed and am not certain where to post the question.

I have been searching and finally placed a eposit on a 2020 platinum explorer. right or wrong..
i dismissed this unit several times but the mrs noticed the listing said it had the technology package even though the monroni does not list it. i visited the site and it has the larger screen, it seems to have the multi contour seats and re the stereo it has the grill cover for the additional speakers.
i figured out it was imported from canada a few months ago. Did canadian units ever get the tech package as standard equipment? its not shown on the sheet in any manner..

granted i as looking for lower mileage, it has <43K, and an ST, but like the platinum.
i;ve been searching for a few days and finally decided to post considering i finally visited it and placed a deposit. if it was already discussed at some point I apologize.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I'm not sure what you mean by the term "monroni"? Is that another term for Window Sticker?
Are you buying this from a Ford dealership? If so, they should be able to tell you if the vehicle came from Canada or not. It will have standard DRL that cannot be turned off in the settings. I believe it will also have the speedometer showing kilometers per hour in larger text even if it has been switched to MPH.
This is what the Premium Technology Package includes;
The Premium Technology Package comes with: Multicontour Seats with Active Motion® (Front Only) 10.1" LCD Capacitive Portrait Touchscreen in Center Stack with Swipe and Pinch-to-Zoom Capability. 980-Watt B&O Sound System by Bang & Olufsen with 14 Speakers.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I'm not sure what you mean by the term "monroni"? Is that another term for Window Sticker?
Are you buying this from a Ford dealership? If so, they should be able to tell you if the vehicle came from Canada or not. It will have standard DRL that cannot be turned off in the settings. I believe it will also have the speedometer showing kilometers per hour in larger text even if it has been switched to MPH.
This is what the Premium Technology Package includes;
The Premium Technology Package comes with: Multicontour Seats with Active Motion® (Front Only) 10.1" LCD Capacitive Portrait Touchscreen in Center Stack with Swipe and Pinch-to-Zoom Capability. 980-Watt B&O Sound System by Bang & Olufsen with 14 Speakers.

Peter
Thank you greatly for the reply.. Yes, Monroni is the term dealerships use for the window sticker. Here anyway. And yes, the technology package as I know it ,and have seem it called out in countless stickers, includes the larger screen, the active contour seats and a higher output stereo with two additional speakers.

I know the vehicle is canadian from the sticker and the carfax shows it started in Canada a well. What troubles me is there no reference to the technology package on the window sticker. the vehicle seems to have the massage seats, the bigger screen and i can't tell which stereo though the grilles are present where i believe the additional speakers go.

i don't feel comfortable with a gray market car. not knowing the differences or even whether warrenty or recall work would be honored. i am troubled not seeing the tech package called out on the sticker despite believing the components are present. That is why i question if the components were included as standard on the Canadian version.

if i understand you correctly the headlamps would be different. the speedo is reading out in mph. though i can't speak to font size.

i have a deposit on it. I've been shopping for near two years. the market is nuts. I prefer a pickup but have missed the reasonable ones that have cropped up. I wanted something with a true low range and locking axles. but these do seem nice. i drove one of the first of the newer units for work @2012. i liked it then. At the time i also owned my Flex and dually diesel king ranch which i miss terribly.

i am inclined to talk away since i have not been able to come up with how the items are present and not mentioned anywhere.

Warranties and recalls are all addressed the same way whether the Explorer was built for the Canadian or U.S. market. The headlamps are the same except that the Canadian version has standard Daytime Running Lights which are the always ON type since they are mandatory here.
I have a 2023 Aviator on order and in Canada the Luxury Package is standard and as such it does not appear on the window sticker. It is not unusual for Canadian models to have features that are standard whereas they are optional in the U.S. so that may be why the Tech Package doesn't show up on the 'sticker'. From what you have described, I would tend to say that the vehicle has the technology package.

Peter

Warranties and recalls are all addressed the same way whether the Explorer was built for the Canadian or U.S. market. The headlamps are the same except that the Canadian version has standard Daytime Running Lights which are the always ON type since they are mandatory here.
I have a 2023 Aviator on order and in Canada the Luxury Package is standard and as such it does not appear on the window sticker. It is not unusual for Canadian models to have features that are standard whereas they are optional in the U.S. so that may be why the Tech Package doesn't show up on the 'sticker'. From what you have described, I would tend to say that the vehicle has the technology package.

Peter
Thank you greatly for the reply and information.
I wasn't as concerned initially but when I started to research I found reports from edmunds, motor trend and other sources about gray market vehicles and possible problems regardless of whether a licensed importer brought them in.

I studied the window stickers last night and the Canadian one says very little while a US one lists all standard and optional features and equipment. Much of it would be difficult to verify its presence.

Its not that this one is a great deal with low mileage but it jas not been easy to find anything at a reasonable price in decent condition. Someone put a cheapo brake controller on this and I can see where a bracket was once in an ok spot but it now just rests to the right of your knee stuck in the center console panel. I wanted to check and be sure they used a proper adapter and didn't splice but there is no way to easily check while on the lot.

Thank you so much . Every piece of info is helpful.

You could ask the dealer to printout the Vehicle Specification sheet for your VIN. It should have everything on it that the Explorer has. My dealer provided me with one when I leased the Aviator. Also, my dealer will sometimes ship vehicles to the U.S. They did that with my 2014 MKT and were going to do the same with my current Aviator but due to the recall delay in finding a fix, the date to do that has passed. All my vehicles have ultra- low mileage. The Aviator has 6,960 miles on it and I leased it on Oct. 31st, 2019.

Peter

Michael Monroney was a U.S. Senator who championed the legislation that required all new car manufacturers to put standardized descriptive information on the window of the vehicle. Thus it has become colloquially termed the "Monroney Sticker".

Does the window sticker show a 401A High Package? If it does that provides this.

What is included in Ford 401A package?

Our ST cabin combines a smart layout with our 401A Pack, which pampers you with heated/ventilated leather front seats, heated second-row captain's chairs, a power-folding third row, a heate leather power steering wheel, full-color navigation, B&O audio, and wireless charging.

You could ask the dealer to printout the Vehicle Specification sheet for your VIN. It should have everything on it that the Explorer has. My dealer provided me with one when I leased the Aviator. Also, my dealer will sometimes ship vehicles to the U.S. They did that with my 2014 MKT and were going to do the same with my current Aviator but due to the recall delay in finding a fix, the date to do that has passed. All my vehicles have ultra- low mileage. The Aviator has 6,960 miles on it and I leased it on Oct. 31st, 2019.

Peter
Thank you again.

That sounds like what I refer to as the build sheet. Its not on a ford lot but I have tried to find a source for the actual build sheet on line but been unsuccessful. I do agree in the thought it would be the most sure way to compare apples to apples. Well....assuming I had an American build sheet for comparison.

Do you by chance know if the Canadian platinum also has the dynamic headlights that turn to the sides as the vehicle turns? I forget the buzz work for it. I did just sneak a peak at the car on the way to dinner. I found it has a plug under the hood. Apparently a block or oil heater.

What I don't understand is the under side and engine bay are coated in a whitish cement color and feeling coating that doesn't want to come off. Sort of a heavy mud or even cement type coating. I don't know how much salt they use up there. It seems to come from north of Montreal.

Does the window sticker show a 401A High Package? If it does that provides this.

Our ST cabin combines a smart layout with our 401A Pack, which pampers you with heated/ventilated leather front seats, heated second-row captain's chairs, a power-folding third row, a heate leather power steering wheel, full-color navigation, B&O audio, and wireless charging.
Sorry, that was for an ST. Had a brain fart I guess.

Here is the 2021 Canadian order guide. Maybe this will help.

Attachments

• 2021 Explorer Order Guide (Canada).pdf
    383.8 KB · Views: 80

Thank you. I don't recall seeing a 401a package listed but I do believe it has those listed features based on seeing the controls present for them.

I looked for an owners portfolio. The binder is not there but my wife saw an owners manual though it is entirely in French.

I do apreciate everyone's input. I don't recall the history behind the monroney term but know what it was. I have wanted to replace e my pickup so bad but like these new versions since trying. When I leaked tonight I also see the tow hook is missing.

Thank you. I don't recall seeing a 401a package listed but I do believe it has those listed features based on seeing the controls present for them.

I looked for an owners portfolio. The binder is not there but my wife saw an owners manual though it is entirely in French.

I do apreciate everyone's input. I don't recall the history behind the monroney term but know what it was. I have wanted to replace e my pickup so bad but like these new versions since trying. When I leaked tonight I also see the tow hook is missing.
That was for an ST. My bad. I posted an order (post 11) guide for a 2021 Canadian Explorer and looking at that most of what your looking for are standard equipment for the Platinum.

The 2020 Platinum Package is 600A and shows the Premium Tech Package as an Option.

1689012591875.png

Since it was confirmed that the referred to vehicle has these items, I would think it has the package but not sure why it isn't shown on the 'Sticker'.

Peter

@grizz T perhaps you could post the window sticker here and maybe someone can help that way.

Michael Monroney was a U.S. Senator who championed the legislation that required all new car manufacturers to put standardized descriptive information on the window of the vehicle. Thus it has become colloquially termed the "Monroney Sticker".
Good to know, I guess. Thread title updated with correct spelling. ;)

Peter

Good to know, I guess. Thread title updated with correct spelling. ;)

Peter
good to know for nothing less than that. i don't believe I've ever received an email from a dealer with the spelling as you have it. now I need to correct it for myself.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@grizz T perhaps you could post the window sticker here and maybe someone can help that way.
absolutely. if i can figure it out when get to a PC. I wasn't sure if it was OK or welcomed. i also can produce a sticker from a US sample .

If I did this correct. There should be the vehicle in question and to illustrate there should be a detailed one typical for those I have been shopping

thank you all. hopefully this will benefit someone else at some point in time.

Attachments

• OO-RYY~1.PDF
    406.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 2020 Explore plat 24 Ford of Easton _ VIN_ 1FM5K8HC2LGA66893 monroni.pdf
    820.5 KB · Views: 62

Back