• Register Today It's free!

2020 Platinum

Davetherave73

Reaction score
City, State
Mesquite, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Platinum
Great to be a member. Around Christmas I purchased a used 2020 Platinum with 50K miles love it but has a leak with the sunroof somewhere. Leaks inside around the third row passenger side window area but not the window. Called the local Ford dealership and they want to keep it for 5-7 days to diagnose. The rear drain looks to be working. Any ideas?

IMG_1466.jpeg

IMG_1465.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 1st-gen Dodge Durango that does this, but has no sun roof. If your Explorer has a roof rack, consider checking the mounting screws for signs of water intrusion.

Great to be a member. Around Christmas I purchased a used 2020 Platinum with 50K miles love it but has a leak with the sunroof somewhere. Leaks inside around the third row passenger side window area but not the window. Called the local Ford dealership and they want to keep it for 5-7 days to diagnose. The rear drain looks to be working. Any ideas?
Welcome to the Forum Dave. :wave:
Plugged moonroof drains usually result in water in the floor wells. This could be a leaking moonroof seal. The early 5th gen models did have issues with leaks from the roof rails but that water dripped down the 3rd row seat belts.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Dave. :wave:
Plugged moonroof drains usually result in water in the floor wells. This could be a leaking moonroof seal. The early 5th gen models did have issues with leaks from the roof rails but that water dripped down the 3rd row seat belts.

Peter
Thanks. Problem solved. The back gasket failed. I used marine silicone and sealed the gape between the gasket and the roof inside and outside. Ford wanted $750.00 plus $140.00 per hour 4hour minimum. This worked and can’t tell it was sealed unless you get very close. Thanks to all who helped me.

What was the $750 for?

Back