2020 Explorer PIU | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Explorer PIU

And someone is ultimately paying for that “free” electricity!

How long do you think it will be "free" if more and more people start buying them? I know that in my area there have already been disputes in some condo/apartment complexes with some owners using various outlets to charge their vehicles.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I thought in Canada everything was free...

Take anything you buy in the US and double the price to figure out the Canuckistan price. We have to pay for all the Liberal Special Interest Groups who dont work.

Take anything you buy in the US and double the price to figure out the Canuckistan price. We have to pay for all the Liberal Special Interest Groups who dont work.

I like Tim Horton coffee.

Not everything. The Interceptor steel wheels I bought a few years ago were $88 each compared to $200+ in the U.S.:) Higher wages and benefits also figure into the costs.

Peter

Not everything. The Interceptor steel wheels I bought a few years ago were $88 each compared to $200+ in the U.S.:) Higher wages and benefits also figure into the costs.

Peter

I will give you that one.

Explain this

Regular 87 Unleaded Gas in Goodyear AZ At Sams Club = $2.73/US Gallon

Regular 87 Unleaded Gas in Vancouver BC at Costco = $1.48/L X 3.8L in US gallon = $5.62/US Gallon

I will give you that one.

Explain this

Regular 87 Unleaded Gas in Goodyear AZ At Sams Club = $2.73/US Gallon

Regular 87 Unleaded Gas in Vancouver BC at Costco = $1.48/L X 3.8L in US gallon = $5.62/US Gallon
The price of gasoline is all over the place and not a good example. 87 octane here in town is $1.15/L. I think the gas prices in B.C. are the highest in the country. Also, different provinces add their own type of tax into the cost. In Ontario, millions of dollars are given back to municipalities each year from the taxes the province collects on gasoline. I do agree that overall prices are higher here and much of that has to do with what I mentioned before. Wages, manufacturing costs, unions, the exchange rate, worker's benefits etc.

Peter

I do agree that overall prices are higher here and much of that has to do with what I mentioned before. Wages, manufacturing costs, unions, the exchange rate, worker's benefits etc.

Peter

That's an interesting point. I'm not a sociologist or an economist, and I'm certainly not trying to start a political debate, but it seems to me that those factors would actually keep prices in Canada overall lower for the following reasons (among others):

1. Canada has just over 1/9th of the population of the US in an area just slightly bigger than the US (considerably bigger than the US if one were to exclude Alaska which is very sparsely populated);

2. Said population is concentrated in a few areas, whereas large swaths of the country remain unpopulated, have no infrastructure (nor need one), and therefore no infrastructure costs. My point there being that manufacturing costs should overall be similar since it's not as if there are huge manufacturing facilities in Nunchiunkmutwunknuk, Nunavut, having to ship their stuff to Miami...

3. With much smaller population, it follows that there are also approximately 1/9th the wage earners as well as benefits recipients as compared to the US, therefore labor costs shouldn't be appreciably higher (even if we were to account for labor scarcity, if, indeed, there is any).

This is where things get interesting. At $1.53T (as of 2016) Canada's GDP is actually less than 1/9th of the US, less than 1/10th even. With that, per capita GDP in Canada is roughly 25% lower ($42,000 vs $57,000). This strikes me as odd. I would have thought per capita would have been higher, since I doubt productivity in Canada is any lower than here, and (I'm told) Canada has very little undocumented labor skewing the numbers. Furthermore, I would surmise that lower per capita numbers (which correspond almost exactly to wages as well) would keep prices down.

What gives?

Let's get back on track now.

That's an interesting point. I'm not a sociologist or an economist, and I'm certainly not trying to start a political debate, but it seems to me that those factors would actually keep prices in Canada overall lower for the following reasons (among others):

1. Canada has just over 1/9th of the population of the US in an area just slightly bigger than the US (considerably bigger than the US if one were to exclude Alaska which is very sparsely populated);

2. Said population is concentrated in a few areas, whereas large swaths of the country remain unpopulated, have no infrastructure (nor need one), and therefore no infrastructure costs. My point there being that manufacturing costs should overall be similar since it's not as if there are huge manufacturing facilities in Nunchiunkmutwunknuk, Nunavut, having to ship their stuff to Miami...

3. With much smaller population, it follows that there are also approximately 1/9th the wage earners as well as benefits recipients as compared to the US, therefore labor costs shouldn't be appreciably higher (even if we were to account for labor scarcity, if, indeed, there is any).

This is where things get interesting. At $1.53T (as of 2016) Canada's GDP is actually less than 1/9th of the US, less than 1/10th even. With that, per capita GDP in Canada is roughly 25% lower ($42,000 vs $57,000). This strikes me as odd. I would have thought per capita would have been higher, since I doubt productivity in Canada is any lower than here, and (I'm told) Canada has very little undocumented labor skewing the numbers. Furthermore, I would surmise that lower per capita numbers (which correspond almost exactly to wages as well) would keep prices down.

What gives?

I had to read that 2X to understand it all!....LOL!......ok we strayed a little I wont continue.

That is still not the final product. The final product will not be shown until February 2019
Auto show.

Yes it is, already confirmed it from 2 sources who have seen it in person.

Yes it is, already confirmed it from 2 sources who have seen it in person.
Sorry to disagree, but if that is the one, i will really go to the Aviator... I still say it is not the final product. It looks more like a refresh.....

Sorry to disagree, but if that is the one, i will really go to the Aviator... I still say it is not the final product. It looks more like a refresh.....

Correct, it is more like a refresh but on the cd6 platform. I have said it before and will say it again, it is more of an evoltuion keeping the explorer looks then revolutionary. It was never said it was going to ve completely redone exterior wise.. it is staying with current Explorer ques. Also, if you look at the rear end, you can see the rear diff and rear diff bolts (rwd). It is the 2020MY and is the finished PIU product.

Screenshot_20180822-220218_Gallery.jpg

Based on that styling at least I won't be compelled to go trade in my '17 anytime soon. This is like a half-step-backward refresh to me. Not commensurate with the major chassis and drivetrain changes.

And the sloping roofline certainly does no favors for cargo volume and 3rd row space. Wonder if those will actually decrease slightly as cargo volume did from 4th to 5th gen. With new big players like the Ascent and forthcoming Santa Fe or whatever they're calling it, and Traverse and Enclave getting slightly bigger, the Explorer might be falling further behind the pack in those metrics.

I noticed that the exhaust tips are now turned downward.

Peter

Traded in our 2016 explorer sport for a 2018 Expedition XLT FX4 with HD tow
Used 5 star tune on Expedition
Plan to trade in our 2013 SHO for 2020 Explorer with 400hp engine then use livernois tune
Hoping to make it close to the SHO in performance
Here is chart of dyno test on the 3 liter dual turbo stock verses their tune
Ryan_Tower.jpg

I noticed that the exhaust tips are now turned downward.

Peter

I noticed that too. I see the cutouts though for the civilian version so I assume it will be similar to what we have now but turned down for PIUs like they are doing for them currently.

Based on that styling at least I won't be compelled to go trade in my '17 anytime soon. This is like a half-step-backward refresh to me. Not commensurate with the major chassis and drivetrain changes.

And the sloping roofline certainly does no favors for cargo volume and 3rd row space. Wonder if those will actually decrease slightly as cargo volume did from 4th to 5th gen. With new big players like the Ascent and forthcoming Santa Fe or whatever they're calling it, and Traverse and Enclave getting slightly bigger, the Explorer might be falling further behind the pack in those metrics.

Interior volume increases and 3rd row will be bigger and accomodate adults more comfortably.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interior volume increases and 3rd row will be bigger and accomodate adults more comfortably.

We'll see. Interior volume increase doesn't necessarily mean cargo volume increase.

Back