2020 Explorer Platinum | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Explorer Platinum

Because this seems to be a one-of-a-kind Explorer on this forum, it is only natural for people to be skeptical. A posted copy of the paperwork involved with this situation would likely put an end to it. Sending your VIN by PM to the member who inquired about it shouldn't be an issue. Also, all personal info on any documents can always be removed/hidden. I'm not saying that I don't believe you, but on the other hand, I am also very curious about this.

Peter
I personally don't believe it is a one of a kind. I remember reading about explorers back in early 2020, and there were references then to Platinums with the 360hp setup and Platinums with the same 400hp setup as is available on the ST, it was information from either car and driver or road and track, I forget. Maybe the reporter doing the writeup didn't know what they were talking about, but I do remember reading that before I bought the one I bought. Maybe his confusion added to this.

I remember the salesman saying this specific one would have better performance out of the two I was interested in.
There were others on the lot that were of the same type as the one I chose, just not the color I wanted.

Whether they were factory stock, or dealer added later, I have no clue.

I have sent my VIN to some one to check it out. I had done that before I saw the requests on here, that is why I didn't post here or in PM.
But my gut tells me it will show nothing out of the ordinary on the factory sheet. And I'm sure that when I say it doesn't show on the factory window sticker, I am pretty sure what reaction I will get in this group.
I'm still betting that it was something that the dealership had added, just like they have added tons of other stuff to loads of other cars through the years.

They have been doing mustang build ups for decades that you could get done aftermarket, but were selling them there on the lot along side the others, but with better superchargers, etc. They were even noted as one of the first dealerships to do this in the area. All with a factory supported warranty.

I went by for a bottle of touchup I had ordered a week ago and they had two F150s that are basically street legal monster trucks with upgraded stereo systems upgraded interiors over the Platinum and other top of the line Ford truck models. I've seen similar for many years, so, why is it so hard to imagine this could be the case here as well??? And if it isn't the case, then I have no idea why the salesman said what he said and why it measured what it did.

I'm sorry, I'm done trying to convince a group that is dead set against one concept that they have never seen their self. Which, to me, is totally plausible and realistic.
Like I said, it's not like I'm claiming to have a 1000hp pinto from a dealership with a factory warranty, geesh
let it rest. if I find something positive proof, I'll post it, otherwise, enjoy your ride, I'm done

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your VIN is on your window sticker, every window sticker is available online. Your VIN is public info as it is on your dashboard seen through your windshield. There are no privacy issues with VINs.

Your VIN is on your window sticker, every window sticker is available online. Your VIN is public info as it is on your dashboard seen through your windshield. There are no privacy issues with VINs.
As I said before, I gave it to someone to check out. I will get a copy of my factory window sticker on Monday and hopefully the dealer add on list as well. I did check online myself and the website reports it was not released yet? I don't understand that, but the person checking will be at the dealership on Monday. But thanks for bringing it up again.

You may be able to find a "Window Sticker Generator" online to gain a PDF of your 'Original" by inputting your VIN.
I did this back in 2015, but that site is now 404 error. BUT I did find this one that looks reputable and straight forward.
Good Luck, sounds like you got a really nice Explorer.

................................... I did check online myself and the website reports it was not released yet? I don't understand that, ............
That is a normal reply. The Window Sticker is only available there for a very limited time. However, the link that Milty provided should work. I just tried it and brought up mine for the 2020 Aviator. Thanks Milty. I never had the original sticker as my dealer brought the vehicle in from another dealership. :thumbsup:

Peter

You may be able to find a "Window Sticker Generator" online to gain a PDF of your 'Original" by inputting your VIN.
I did this back in 2015, but that site is now 404 error. BUT I did find this one that looks reputable and straight forward.
Thanks for the info, I did try it, but it turns out to be a paid site...
Here is what it sent me:
-----------------------
The Make you entered is only available through our paid bulk access. Please sign up by clicking on the button below.

Scroll down half a page. You'll see a button that says "Bulk Access Sign Up". You'll be charged a $5 activation fee, which will be turned into credits for the first 5 stickers. A sticker is $1 and you can cancel the subscription anytime.
-----------------------

Thanks anyway, I did google and tried another, pay as well.
I'll wait until I hear this week.
I have someone going to see if they can get it from the dealer, and if they can't because they sold it to me, then I'll go down.
Wow, all to prove a point, lol.

Thanks for your help,
John

I never received the request for any payment. It did tell me to sign up for Bulk Access but then all I had to do was enter my VIN and email and I received it within a minute.

Peter

I never received the request for any payment. It did tell me to sign up for Bulk Access but then all I had to do was enter my VIN and email and I received it within a minute.

Peter
Well, I cut n pasted what it said. Said was going to charge for access. I'll check again later back at my laptop.
Thanks for the inputs
John

Tried it again, and there is no bulk scroll down that asks for vin, only a place to enter your email to get on a chrome waiting list
We are creating a Chrome browser plug-in that lets you see the Window Sticker of other cars while you are browsing dealer websites, Cargurus, Cars.com or AutoTrader. Submit your email address below if you want to join the waiting list:
(tried that hours ago, nothing came yet, and no chrome extension added, etc.)

or a place to pay for access.

I'll wait until I get the REAL one this week.
PLUS the add on sheets. I'm sure it is on the add-on anyway, not on the factory window sticker. Could be wrong.
I checked their online stuff, and for their $100k F150's, they don't reference the upgraded tires, lift, etc. But, been wrong before.

Thanks for your inputs and help though
John

I have been into vehicles my whole life having owned many 10-11 second quarter mile cars. No stock vehicle will ever put down its full advertised horsepower figures. Accountihg for drive train loss they will all tend to be 10-20 percent less. The mighty ST itself probably only puts down 340-360 hp to the wheels. So this thread and its claims are laughable,

I have been into vehicles my whole life having owned many 10-11 second quarter mile cars. No stock vehicle will ever put down its full advertised horsepower figures. Accountihg for drive train loss they will all tend to be 10-20 percent less. The mighty ST itself probably only puts down 340-360 hp to the wheels. So this thread and its claims are laughable,
Sorry but that is what he calculated. I haven't had a chance to ask him how he came up with that number, but when I find out I will let you know.

Sorry but that is what he calculated. I haven't had a chance to ask him how he came up with that number, but when I find out I will let you know.
The paper he gave me has written
321 / 411 hp
21%
Not sure what that meant. Just assumed it meant torque n calculated hp.
But looking at the formula for hp that isn't right. Maybe he measured 321 at the wheels, assumed 21% loss to give 411????
Not sure, but will ask him this week. Maybe that is where my confusion comes from.
I will talk with him this week. He said he estimated 411hp, so I just assumed.. ..

John

Once a vehicle is sold, the online tools will no longer pull it up. Has to be done by a Ford employee.

The paper he gave me has written
321 / 411 hp
21%
Not sure what that meant. Just assumed it meant torque n calculated hp.
But looking at the formula for hp that isn't right. Maybe he measured 321 at the wheels, assumed 21% loss to give 411????
Not sure, but will ask him this week. Maybe that is where my confusion comes from.
I will talk with him this week. He said he estimated 411hp, so I just assumed.. ..

John

Elevation and temps do play into it. However, if you are actually running at 321hp, that is a very healthy stock number. STs factory run about 310 at the wheels stock.

So although you do not have the ST tune, I'd tend to believe your dealer tuned it 3rd party. If that's the case, you should have a tuner to revert back to stock. If tuned, you always need to run 91 or 93 octane. Your dealer has also voided your warranty if Ford finds out on the engine and possible trans.

These vehicles are beasts, mine has been tuned and love every minute of it. No issues and over 30k on it now.

Elevation and temps do play into it. However, if you are actually running at 321hp, that is a very healthy stock number. STs factory run about 310 at the wheels stock.

So although you do not have the ST tune, I'd tend to believe your dealer tuned it 3rd party. If that's the case, you should have a tuner to revert back to stock. If tuned, you always need to run 91 or 93 octane. Your dealer has also voided your warranty if Ford finds out on the engine and possible trans.

These vehicles are beasts, mine has been tuned and love every minute of it. No issues and over 30k on it now.
I don't know what else to say. He told me this morning that is what he measured and calculated. Plus the regular 0-60 for the Platinum is around 5.3-5.5 (gleaning various performance reports all over the web), he clocked mine at 5-5.2, so, there was "something" done to it to get that speed....

Regarding the warranty, I have already had a warranty claim on it and it was paid, passed with flying colors. They have sold hundreds of vehicles with aftermarket mods that affected all parts of the vehicle, from the tires to paint to upgrades in superchargers on mustangs and etc etc. So I'm sure this is not going to void the warranty. If it would on mine, it would have on those hundreds they have sold the last decade or two.

I don't know what else to say.
Someday this topic can be put to bed, just not sure when, lol

Just spoke with my friend that went to the dealership this morning, and they had the Window Sticker, but not the dealer add on sheet that shows whatever the dealer did to it after receiving it and the final dealer price. Of course, nothing on the window sticker to substantiated anything other than a stock Platinum.

My friend couldn't find the salesman I spoke with to confirm what he had said, however, he did talk with the finance person I dealt with, and he remembers me, given it was during June, hardly anything sold (covid), and I actually helped the finance guys brother look for a job back in the Knoxville area. So, he remembers me, the conversations we had, and discussions about the vehicle, etc.. And he confirmed it had a dealer add on performance upgrade, as they do with a handful on most models every year, and confirmed it is 100% covered by the warranties. That is between the dealership and the factory.

I've only ever owned Fords, (except for my first car, a 72 plymouth satellite, and then a short stint with a Peugeot in the 80s, long story), and have dealt with this specific dealership probably before some of you were born.

I don't know what else to say.
My friend dyno'd it, the finance guy remembers it also, etc.
Personally, I have nothing to prove to anyone in here, just hate getting called a liar, deflector, exaggerator, etc.
Maybe this will educate a few of the so called experts in here.... Of course I'm still expected to get told I'm wrong and I'm lying. No matter anymore.
I'm just amazed that people don't realize that dealers do mod vehicles, some do anyway, performance wise. I've seen them here at this dealership every time I am in for service, seen them at one in Chattanooga, at one in Orlando, etc.

Tried it again, and there is no bulk scroll down that asks for vin, only a place to enter your email to get on a chrome waiting list
We are creating a Chrome browser plug-in that lets you see the Window Sticker of other cars while you are browsing dealer websites, Cargurus, Cars.com or AutoTrader. Submit your email address below if you want to join the waiting list:
(tried that hours ago, nothing came yet, and no chrome extension added, etc.)

or a place to pay for access.

I'll wait until I get the REAL one this week.
PLUS the add on sheets. I'm sure it is on the add-on anyway, not on the factory window sticker. Could be wrong.
I checked their online stuff, and for their $100k F150's, they don't reference the upgraded tires, lift, etc. But, been wrong before.

Thanks for your inputs and help though
John
I just tried it again. All I was asked for was my VIN and email address. Revceived the email with the window sticker immediately. I'm using Google Chrome on a Windows 10 PC.

Peter

If the dealership ever has to reflash your computer for any kind of warranty work you will find out if there was a tune on it because it's not going to have that tune after the reflash.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the dealership ever has to reflash your computer for any kind of warranty work you will find out if there was a tune on it because it's not going to have that tune after the reflash.
Thank you for your input,
I had this issue once in an F150 I had used a programmer on.
Since I had programmed it, those settings were gone after I took it to the dealer once.
They had reprogrammed it with the settings that they sold it with. I just reprogrammed it.
For this one though, they did have to reflash it once, and ... well.... read on...
I had to take it in due to a lot of erroneous error messages I was receiving,
"Pre Collision Assist Not Available"
"Service AdvanceTrac"
"Hill Start Assist Not Available"
They would all pop up, one after another, after every startup up.
All due to a truck coming the other way that had a large cathode TV fall when I passed him, and it sent out a small blast akin to a small EMP, that disabled one of the computers. I heard the bang when it hit in his bed, and that was when I saw the pre collision assist message.
I took it to Ford in August of 2020, they reprogrammed several computers/flash memories, and that resolved that issue.
They did confirm that several of the "standard" settings were scrambled as well, but worked enough to drive.
Seems that they have some sort of backup method in the computers that will permit it to be driven, just without a lot of things working. I did not have use of the cameras, auto parallel park, etc. mostly sensor related, and it would not let me do anything other than normal drive mode.
But it ran as well after as it did before.
I had the Dyno in December.
So, since I went back to the same dealer, they probably reprogrammed it with the settings that they sold it with.
Like I said, this dealership has been doing this for years, so, I'm sure they have this contingency taken care of.
I could see a guy who had a supercharger added into his mustang, get factory settings, and it quit working, uh, he'd be pissed.
If I ever go to a different dealership, then all bets are off on what will happen though.

Edited - added - That does make me realize that I should go talk to them about it, and see if I can't get a copy of the settings so that when I go to another dealership (if I ever move), then I can get them to reprogram with those settings. If that is even possible...

Back