2020 Explorer ST Sunroof Sunshade issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Explorer ST Sunroof Sunshade issues

bboyes21

Reaction score
City, State
Grass Valley, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
We have a 2020 ST that was great...until it wasn't. In the last few weeks we have had it all. First, every warning/alarm possible was coming on when we'd start the car so we took to dealer to have that repaired and to have the major tune up done they said it was loose plug and they had fixed it "at no charge" but then during the tune-up said we also had to have the CV/Axle assembly replaced but also the warning lights issue wasn't fixed and they all came on again on as soon as we were back home so we took to our local shop for the CV/axle fix (dealer quoted $2400 so we had our local shop do it for $450) but they couldn't fix the warnings from computer and referred us back to dealer. So we went to a different Ford dealer since the first didn't fix it and had such a jacked price on the other repair and this time they got us for replacing the AWD Module and $2100 later now its operating properly but of course the sunshade for the moonroof now broke. A small piece dropped upon opening and now it seems like the shade isn't rolling up when retracted and instead simply hangs over the back seat blocking rear view and the passengers. The dealer said it would be $1500-$2000 minimum to repair citing that it was going to be over 10 hours of labor. This seems asinine. Honestly if we hadn't just spent the money we did to fix it I would just want out from this car all together (have had broken weld on exhaust, recall for cat, audio sometimes doesn't turn on, AWD Module replaced, CV/Axle replaced, plastic cover for seat base broke, plastic cover on windshield sensor above mirror broke, and sun shade broke and its a 2020!) but now we are somewhat committed again having just paid for so many repairs and tune-up but that cost for sun shade is ridiculous. I'd rather have no shade than pay $2100 to repair one! Anyone have any advice on where to find a more competitive non-dealer repair? Do most upholstery shops have this ability?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We have a 2020 ST that was great...until it wasn't. In the last few weeks we have had it all. First, every warning/alarm possible was coming on when we'd start the car so we took to dealer to have that repaired and to have the major tune up done they said it was loose plug and they had fixed it "at no charge" but then during the tune-up said we also had to have the CV/Axle assembly replaced but also the warning lights issue wasn't fixed and they all came on again on as soon as we were back home so we took to our local shop for the CV/axle fix (dealer quoted $2400 so we had our local shop do it for $450) but they couldn't fix the warnings from computer and referred us back to dealer. So we went to a different Ford dealer since the first didn't fix it and had such a jacked price on the other repair and this time they got us for replacing the AWD Module and $2100 later now its operating properly but of course the sunshade for the moonroof now broke. A small piece dropped upon opening and now it seems like the shade isn't rolling up when retracted and instead simply hangs over the back seat blocking rear view and the passengers. The dealer said it would be $1500-$2000 minimum to repair citing that it was going to be over 10 hours of labor. This seems asinine. Honestly if we hadn't just spent the money we did to fix it I would just want out from this car all together (have had broken weld on exhaust, recall for cat, audio sometimes doesn't turn on, AWD Module replaced, CV/Axle replaced, plastic cover for seat base broke, plastic cover on windshield sensor above mirror broke, and sun shade broke and its a 2020!) but now we are somewhat committed again having just paid for so many repairs and tune-up but that cost for sun shade is ridiculous. I'd rather have no shade than pay $2100 to repair one! Anyone have any advice on where to find a more competitive non-dealer repair? Do most upholstery shops have this ability?
My CV boot/axles were replaced under powertrain warranty at about 39K miles free of charge. Now my 4wd fault message came up at 41K miles. This should be under ESP if not powertrain warranty. I'm taking it in tomorrow probably the AWD module.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I'm guessing that you have exceeded the 60k mile Powertrain Warranty. I don't recall a similar issue with the sunshade being posted before so I have no idea about the repair cost. Are you able to leave it in the fully closed position so that it doesn't hang down?

Peter

I'm guessing that you have exceeded the 60k mile Powertrain Warranty. I don't recall a similar issue with the sunshade being posted before so I have no idea about the repair cost. Are you able to leave it in the fully closed position so that it doesn't hang down?

Peter
Yeah we just have it closed and it hangs a little loose but not down. I think reluctantly we are going to trade it in and go with another make with a better history and warranty. Just so many issues with this car thus far in a little under 2 years:
Broken exhaust weld
Cat Recall
Broken driver side seat plastic lower
Broken plastic cover above rear view
Broken Moonroof Sun Shade
CV Boot and front axle assembly
AWD Module
Backup/Side sensors
Audio Shutdown

Love the look and drive but we have had nothing but issues seemingly, both big and small.

Yeah we just have it closed and it hangs a little loose but not down. I think reluctantly we are going to trade it in and go with another make with a better history and warranty. Just so many issues with this car thus far in a little under 2 years:
Broken exhaust weld
Cat Recall
Broken driver side seat plastic lower
Broken plastic cover above rear view
Broken Moonroof Sun Shade
CV Boot and front axle assembly
AWD Module
Backup/Side sensors
Audio Shutdown

Love the look and drive but we have had nothing but issues seemingly, both big and small.
It may be an idea to check into getting and extended warranty as well if you plan to keep a vehicle long-term. I lease all my vehicles so they are usually under factory warranty but if the lease goes beyond the warranty I always buy an ESP. The nice thing about my AViator is that the warranty is 4 years, the exact length of the lease, and since I'm a very low mileage driver, that part never enters into it. To be honest, I have spent more on extended warranties than I have ever received back in warranty repairs which have been almost nonexistent. Just peace of mind. Good luck.

Peter

We have a 2021 and our plastic is breaking left and right. The panels have snaped off the front seats, the sunshade is doing exactly what yours is doing and the covers for the bolts to the third row seating have broken off. As much fun as it is to drive, the interior quality is crap and it is causing a long time Ford lover to question if we will ever buy another one again.

We have a 2021 and our plastic is breaking left and right. The panels have snaped off the front seats, the sunshade is doing exactly what yours is doing and the covers for the bolts to the third row seating have broken off. As much fun as it is to drive, the interior quality is crap and it is causing a long time Ford lover to question if we will ever buy another one again.
Sorry about all the issues you're having. I never had any issues with any of the vehicles shown in my Signature but then they get very little use.

Peter

Sorry about all the issues you're having. I never had any issues with any of the vehicles shown in my Signature but then they get very little use.

Peter
Lincoln uses much higher quality materials than any Ford. I've owned 2 Lincolns in the past before this ST and everything was high grade inside.

I feel like we are driving the exact same car. Except my sunshade failed a month before my transmission went out. This explorer is the worst vehicle I have ever owned.

I feel like we are driving the exact same car. Except my sunshade failed a month before my transmission went out. This explorer is the worst vehicle I have ever owned.

Peter

Same here. The plastic side piece on the seat has been replaced 3 or 4 times. The leather driver's seat pulled away from stitching in an odd place, where there is no tension...just so happened to be 600 miles out of warranty. Now the sunroof wouldn't close, took it in, and asking $2000 for it to be replaced as 'it is a bad frame'. I can feel the transmission starting to slip and told the dealer...they were not surprised. Just had the backup camera recall fixed, only took Ford 3+ years to find the solution for that. This has been an easily driven vehicle, by myself only, has 46K miles and I've owned since brand new, for 3.5 years. If this is the new expectation of Ford 'quality', I won't ever buy another. It's sad really.

^^ Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Sorry to read about the issues you are experiencing. I'm guessing that you have been using the sunroof since you bought the vehicle so I wonder how it suddenly developed a bad frame. Anytime that I intend to keep a vehicle beyond the factory warranty, I always purchase an ESP just as a precaution and for peace of mind.

Peter

^^ Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Sorry to read about the issues you are experiencing. I'm guessing that you have been using the sunroof since you bought the vehicle so I wonder how it suddenly developed a bad frame. Anytime that I intend to keep a vehicle beyond the factory warranty, I always purchase an ESP just as a precaution and for peace of mind.

Peter
Yes, been using it without any trouble. Hadn't used it in a couple of months due to increased rain and colder temps here. But there should be no reason for a 'bad frame'. It will be the last Ford I buy...definitely. The workmanship has gone downhill significantly.

Same here. The plastic side piece on the seat has been replaced 3 or 4 times. The leather driver's seat pulled away from stitching in an odd place, where there is no tension...just so happened to be 600 miles out of warranty. Now the sunroof wouldn't close, took it in, and asking $2000 for it to be replaced as 'it is a bad frame'. I can feel the transmission starting to slip and told the dealer...they were not surprised. Just had the backup camera recall fixed, only took Ford 3+ years to find the solution for that. This has been an easily driven vehicle, by myself only, has 46K miles and I've owned since brand new, for 3.5 years. If this is the new expectation of Ford 'quality', I won't ever buy another. It's sad really.
A little over a year ago I decided to buy an ESP for 4 more years of warranty based on my slew of past problems and repairs. It was either that or trade it in before the 3 year warranty ended. i think so far I made the right decision. Hopefully the worst is behind me at 48,000 miles...

Back