2020 Explorer ST will not start | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Explorer ST will not start

Post number 30 has been selected as best answered.

Yeah I forgot that part I got caught up searching the net for a few hours.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you tried rotating the gear shift out of park and back to park?
I did not try that. The vehicle has been at the shop for over a month and they are consulting with Ford. They are really trying to figure this out. Every module has been changed. Ford advised to change the engine wiring harness next. Hopefully this will be the fix. Stay tuned.

There was a thread started by Metromike 2 years concerning the issue with the 2020 Explorer not starting. I never saw if there was a technical bulletin to fix this. I have a 2020 ST and it has been at the dealer for 1 1/2 months as they continue to replace electrical components to try to fix the issue. The issue being, about every 2 weeks it will just not start. All the alerts flash, and the start button flashes and nothing. You can wait between 10 minutes to 3 hours and it will all of a sudden start. The dealer here in Orlando is really trying to figure it out and the have had plenty of times it has not started to work from as well consulting with Ford engineers.

If anyone has had this same situation and it was repaired, please provide the info and maybe the TSB that may lead to the fix. It’s such a beautiful car, but I have not been able to enjoy it.

Thanks to all who may give input here.
You might be able to get the dealer to buy the car back (or Ford themselves) if reasonable attempts have been made to repair the problem and it hasn't been repaired successfully. Assuming the car still has a warranty, you may be able to do this.

You might be able to get the dealer to buy the car back (or Ford themselves) if reasonable attempts have been made to repair the problem and it hasn't been repaired successfully. Assuming the car still has a warranty, you may be able to do this.
That will be the last resort. I really like my ST.

That will be the last resort. I really like my ST.
Yeah use that as a last resort, you're not paying for the repairs are you? I would certainly hope not. If the vehicle sits any longer, the car will have more problems because it sat for so long. I'd say if it's been 3-4 months, I'd have them buy it back from you, or if they're really generous, they'll give you a brand spanking new one.

Yeah use that as a last resort, you're not paying for the repairs are you? I would certainly hope not. If the vehicle sits any longer, the car will have more problems because it sat for so long. I'd say if it's been 3-4 months, I'd have them buy it back from you, or if they're really generous, they'll give you a brand spanking new one.
Fortunately it still under warranty, but it’s a 2020. We will see if the fix holds and if not, then next steps.

They don’t need to as I had just filled up before I took it in.
Well folks, it looks like the Orlando dealership and the Ford engineer figured out the fix for the random issue with my 2020 Explorer ST not starting and all the alerts flashing on. In the end, they pulled the engine and replaced the engine wire harness. It’s been 6 days now and all is good. The service advisor and the tech team went above and beyond to figure this out and make it right before I got the vehicle back. I hope this helps anyone who is still suffering from this same issue.

I hope the fix holds so you can enjoy your ST again. Thanks for updating the thread.

Well folks, it looks like the Orlando dealership and the Ford engineer figured out the fix for the random issue with my 2020 Explorer ST not starting and all the alerts flashing on. In the end, they pulled the engine and replaced the engine wire harness. It’s been 6 days now and all is good. The service advisor and the tech team went above and beyond to figure this out and make it right before I got the vehicle back. I hope this helps anyone who is still suffering from this same issue.
Everything you have described with your 2020 ST is what we have been experiencing for the last month. We had the battery replaced the end of Sept 2023, had the car back in our possession for about 4 days and it wouldn’t start. We took it back to the dealership and they reprogrammed the battery monitoring system. Have had it back again for about 5 days and it wouldn’t start again today. I am beyond frustrated. Have you had any more issues with your 2020 ST not starting after they replaced the engine wire harness??

Everything you have described with your 2020 ST is what we have been experiencing for the last month. We had the battery replaced the end of Sept 2023, had the car back in our possession for about 4 days and it wouldn’t start. We took it back to the dealership and they reprogrammed the battery monitoring system. Have had it back again for about 5 days and it wouldn’t start again today. I am beyond frustrated. Have you had any more issues with your 2020 ST not starting after they replaced the engine wire harness??
I can say that since the wire harness was replaced I have had no issues at all to date. I understand the frustration and hopefully your dealer will becas accommodating as mine was. They paid for the rental I had for the whole time they had my car and they really went all out to figure out what the issue was.

Thank you for responding! Glad to hear you found a permanent fix. The only way we could get it started last night was to try a trick suggested on here; removing the negative battery cable, letting it sit for a few minutes, hooking it back up and starting it normally after two attempts. Jumping it and trying to start it remotely didn’t work. We bought ours used 4 months ago and these issues started a month ago, so I don’t think we really have anything to stand on as far as a buy back. It’s also out of warranty but luckily we paid for an extended warranty, now it’s just finding a solution. Have to wait two weeks to get it back in, here’s hoping they figure it out!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
They should have reprogrammed the BMS (Battery Management System) the first time when they replaced the battery. I have also read where it is recommended to let the vehicle sit undisturbed for 8 hours after the battery replacement.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
They should have reprogrammed the BMS (Battery Management System) the first time when they replaced the battery. I have also read where it is recommended to let the vehicle sit undisturbed for 8 hours after the battery replacement.

Peter
Peter, after the battery was replaced on 9/28/23, we started having the no start issue 4 days later. Due to scheduling issues and not being able to start the vehicle off and on, it was taken back in on 10/13/23. At that time they reprogrammed the battery monitoring system. After having it back and driving it just under 200 miles in 5 days, the no start issue happened again.

Peter, after the battery was replaced on 9/28/23, we started having the no start issue 4 days later. Due to scheduling issues and not being able to start the vehicle off and on, it was taken back in on 10/13/23. At that time they reprogrammed the battery monitoring system. After having it back and driving it just under 200 miles in 5 days, the no start issue happened again.
Peter, sorry forgot to include when the battery was replaced on 9/28/23 (in the afternoon), we did not pick it ip from the dealer until afternoon of 9/29/23. How much it was driven or how much it sat completely undisturbed in that 24 hrs, I am not sure. Thank you for your suggestions though.

When you got the No Start issue, did you ever try to get it boosted/jumped? I don't believe it is a battery problem but was just curious. Do you hear anything at all when attempting to start, like clicking? I'm guessing the engine isn't turning over either?

Peter

When you got the No Start issue, did you ever try to get it boosted/jumped? I don't believe it is a battery problem but was just curious. Do you hear anything at all when attempting to start, like clicking? I'm guessing the engine isn't turning over either?

Peter
Peter, last night we tried jumping it, even though it has a brand new battery, and nothing happened. There is a single click, maybe double click noise under the hood. We then tried starting it remotely, as was another suggestion in this forum, and that also did not work. During these times, all interior lights and panels illuminate, as well as headlights.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Peter, last night we tried jumping it, even though it has a brand new battery, and nothing happened. There is a single click, maybe double click noise under the hood. We then tried starting it remotely, as was another suggestion in this forum, and that also did not work. During these times, all interior lights and panels illuminate, as well as headlights.
Good to know. I believe that eliminates that battery. Due to the clicking you hear, my uneducated guess would be that it could be the starter or the solenoid.

Peter

Back