How to: - 2020 Explorer ST Aftermarket Amp & Sub Install | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: 2020 Explorer ST Aftermarket Amp & Sub Install

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Super helpful write-up and I would have never torn into my new ST without it. I followed most of the paths but chose to use the Audio Control LC2i Pro to take those high-level inputs from the factory sub. I also opted for the JL Audio 12Tw-3 in a custom box and mounted it above the spare tire. The bass is amazing and that Rockford amp has plenty of power.

View attachment 329599

View attachment 329600

View attachment 329601
Who made that box? I want one! What were the measurements? Thanks!!

Who made that box? I want one! What were the measurements? Thanks!!
The member you quoted was last seen here on May 12, 2021 so may no longer be following.

Peter

I followed your write up with a few tweaks, I used the stock enclosure with an 8" Pioneer sub, cut the plug off the wires for the stock sub and spliced them into an RCA cable for the input on the amp. You definitely need an amp to push this thing the stock amp didn't even come close, it hits hard but wont go as low as a standalone setup. I will say the factory enclosure isn't bad I am guessing they put more time into its design than the rest of the system.
View attachment 328935
View attachment 328936
View attachment 328937
SO did replacing the sub with the pioneer make enough of a difference to you in bass sound with the stock amp and enclosure? I don't want to install an amp and do all the wiring just want to add a little more bass replacing it with the kicker 8"subwoofer I have. if it's worth even doing that or just leave it alone in your opinion?

SO did replacing the sub with the pioneer make enough of a difference to you in bass sound with the stock amp and enclosure? I don't want to install an amp and do all the wiring just want to add a little more bass replacing it with the kicker 8"subwoofer I have. if it's worth even doing that or just leave it alone in your opinion?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Whatever you choose to do, keep in mind that any mods to the vehicle have the potential to affect the warranty on OEM parts tied to the mod.

Peter

Back