2020 Lincoln Aviator - Built on Explorer platform | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Lincoln Aviator - Built on Explorer platform

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL '20 ST
Callsign
AB7FH

The 2020 Lincoln Aviator is a three row SUV, smaller than the Navigator. Power comes from a twin-turbo, 3.0-liter V6 engine. Mated to a 10-speed automatic, it makes 400 HP and 400 lb-ft of torque.

The Aviator Grand Touring is equipped with a 3.0-liter V6 that is part of the hybrids powertrain. Lincoln estimates this version will make 450 HP and 600 ft-lbs of torque The Aviator comes with several drive modes: Normal, Conserve, Excite, Slippery and Deep Conditions as well as two additional modes for the hybrid: Pure EV and Preserve EV.

The new Aviator includes “Phone As A Key” technology. There is a Lincoln app owners can download onto their smartphones enabling them to lock and unlock the car, open the trunk and start and drive the car. You can also use it to adjust the seating position and entertainment settings.

The Aviator also includes assists for reverse braking, active parking, evasive steering and traffic jams. The car uses cameras to “see” the road and adjust its suspension if there are potholes or bumps in the way.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Phone apps controlling vehicles in motion? In today's hacking world? Really?

Evasive steering? No thank you. Last person that yanked the wheel on me, ended up with a fat lip and walked home. What if I want to hit that pothole? What if that pothole, really isn't a pothole, and should be hit, because I deemed it to be ran over by a heavy SUV. Gonna take that choice out of my hands? I think not, by golly!

(please install and update security software on your cell phone & vehicles computer, that can deter hackers from using your vehicle and aim it at something you wouldn't.)

.......... The car uses cameras to “see” the road and adjust its suspension if there are potholes or bumps in the way.
I first read about that feature when reading up on the new Cadillac XT4.
It appears that the 2020 Explorer has many of the same features.

Peter

It looks pretty sharp I like the grill and headlights
My neighbor says Lincolns are the best cars because they are the only ones with crosshairs on the hood emblem

So Lincoln has published the specifications for the Aviator. 2020 Lincoln Aviator Luxury Midsize SUV Model Types - Lincoln.com
Of note the standard (Reserve and Black Label) tow capacity is 6700 lbs, while the GT tow capacity is only 5600 lbs. The curb weight is 4897 and 5678 respectively for the AWD configurations. So the lower tow rating is partially due to the 781 lb difference in curb weight. Wonder what led to the further 319 lb reduction? Also looks like the cargo volumes are smaller than the Explorer.

The tow capacities seem to be well below what other drive midsize SUV's have. Audi Q7 with the 3.0T has a tow rating of 7700 lbs. The Durango is 6200 lb with the base V6, 7200 lb with the 5.7 hemi and 8400 in SRT trim. Porsche Cayenne and Range Rover are both 7700 lb (Land Rover Discovery can get up to 8200 lb). All those are with less HP/Torque than the Aviator has. Seems Ford and Lincoln don't think tow capacity is an important competitive metric for mid size SUV's, if they did both the Explorer and Aviator should have been rated around 7500 lb or so.

Is the 2020 Aviator Order Guide out yet ?

Build & Price is not yet available on the Lincoln Canada website.

Peter

I just got back from our local new car show where I saw the 2020 Aviator. For those that are looking forward to a “tougher” 2020 exploder, you’re really going to be disappointed. It sits a LOT lower, and appears to be more of street lover than even the last generation was!

I just got back from our local new car show where I saw the 2020 Aviator. For those that are looking forward to a “tougher” 2020 exploder, you’re really going to be disappointed. It sits a LOT lower, and appears to be more of street lover than even the last generation was!
You're talking about the Explorer and not the Aviator, right?
The 2020 models actually have a little more ground clearance. The 2019 was 7.8" across the board. The 2020 Base, XLT and Limited has 7.9" of clearance while the Platinum gained the most at 8.2".

Peter

Completely disagree.

2020 Explorer 199″ L x 79″ W x 70″ H
2019 Explorer 198″ L x 79″ W x 70″ H

Ground clearance has improved. So there isn't one measurement where the 2020 is smaller or lower then the 2019. What may be fooling you is because the wheelbase has been stretched and with the roofline rake, it may look more squished but measurements prove otherwise.

Wheelbase increased by about 6".

I really wonder now how the options overlap from the Explorer to the Aviator. I configured both and the Aviator surprisingly was much cheaper and the only things I could tell different was +Track brakes package +captains chairs on the Explorer.

In other comparisions I've found that once I want to move to a platnium package ford product - the lincoln model one tier down is all the features I want and cheap to get into.

Example I would walk into a MKZ hybrid for less an equally optioned fusion hybid. I see the same with the Aviator as well.

The linc has air bags that deflate when parked for lower step in height. Cool feature.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I previously thought the Aviator was beyond reach, with prices as high as $92k. But sensibly configured with Reserve I package, the tow hitch, it comes to approx. $65k. That compares favorably to what I would have gotten in an Explorer ST at $62k. I do like the looks of the Aviator much better and that alone may be worth the $3k. The big question mark for me would be ride quality. I do not want a floaty Buick. Then again "sport tuned suspension" of the ST may be more hype than reality as in the Edge ST, although I do realize that's a FWD based platform.

The air bag suspension would be nice but costs too much and the reliability of such as system is a big question mark.

Back